22 replies to this topic

#1 rds

rds

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 10:13 AM

Why are the Olivier's not broadcast on TV?  The West End, last year, turned over, for the very first time, 500,000,000 plus in ticket sales. It also sold more tickets than Broadway, it's only rival in the world - 14+million tickets against something like 11 million for Broadway. As London appears to have lost its position as the world's No:1 financial centre we shouldn't allow its other position, as the world's cultural centre, to be neglected either. Every year Broadway celebrates with the very prestigious Antoinette Perry Awards - The Tony's - broadcast live across the United States.

The BAFTA's are considered suitable to run a "Live on the Red Carpet" broadcast before showing the whole ceremony later that same evening. Why then are the Olivier's not shown too?

The BBC would probably be the best to tackle the event and so I would call on all theatre fans to write a LETTER (trying to find an appropriate email address in the labyrinth that is the BBC's website is impossible) to the BBC's Director General, Mark Thompson at BBC Television Centre, Wood Lane, London. W12 7JR, demanding that next year the Olivier Awards is not over looked. It doesn't have to be a long letter just demand to know why we aren't getting the Olivier's on our TV.

If enough of us bombard the man maybe something will get done about it.

Best of Luck

rds

coachrds@aol.com

#2 Jan Brock

Jan Brock

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2756 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 10:52 AM

QUOTE(rds @ Mar 24 2010, 10:13 AM) View Post
Why are the Olivier's not broadcast on TV?

Because not enough TV viewers are interested in them.

Next question please.

#3 Backdrifter

Backdrifter

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  • Interests:Moving, sleeping, eating, not being here

Gender says 'not telling' but, clue: I own some Y chromosomes

Posted 24 March 2010 - 11:04 AM

I agree with much of what you say but Jan's right, viewers aren't interested and that's enough for the BBC to not bother. Some might also argue that, despite what you said about London's cultural status, this is essentially a bit of London-centric backslapping that's being foisted on the nation. I'm not saying I agree with that, but it's what a lot of people will think. Never mind that so much of the BBC's output has a sheen of self-regarding metropolitan North London-ness.

Turn up the signal... wipe out the noise

#4 wickedgrin

wickedgrin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1208 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 11:08 AM

I watched the whole thing on the internet - over 4 hours!!

It was dreadful - I posted some of my thoughts on the Olivier forum.

It will never be on TV in its present form - thank goodness!!

#5 Polly1

Polly1

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 12:09 PM

Because then the producers who manipulate the nomination short lists (over-riding the wishes of the ordinary theatre-goers who have actually seen most of the shows) will insist on nominating even more Z-list micro-celebs who have inflicted themselves on unsuspecting discerning theatre lovers and the whole thing will become even more worthless than it is already. This will perpetuate the myth that people only go to the theatre to see 'him/her off the telly' and make anything without celebrity casting even more of a hard sell. Sorry, rant over.

#6 rds

rds

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 02:01 PM

Oh dear, oh dear that's all very pessimistic and fatalistic. If not BBC2 then, perhaps, it could be on BBC3 or BBC4? They currently have low viewing figures, perhaps a bit of showbiz glamour would give one of them a boost?

Let's not give up at the first hurdle.

#7 rds

rds

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 02:12 PM

QUOTE(Jan Brock @ Mar 24 2010, 10:52 AM) View Post
Because not enough TV viewers are interested in them.

Next question please.

How did you arrive at that opinion?

#8 Backdrifter

Backdrifter

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  • Interests:Moving, sleeping, eating, not being here

Gender says 'not telling' but, clue: I own some Y chromosomes

Posted 24 March 2010 - 03:15 PM

Personally I'd like to see some form of coverage - as has been said it couldn't be live, so it'd be an edit later that evening or the next night.

SOLT have asked broadcasters a number of times to show it but are always told there are no viewing figures in it.

Not sure about SOLT members manipulating the long-lists to skew them to Z-listers - if anything they ensure that the Jacobis et al are shortlisted at the expense of more deserving, but lesser-known, actors.
Turn up the signal... wipe out the noise

#9 Danube

Danube

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 09:12 PM

If over 100,000 people watched the live streaming, with over 80,000 from the UK then I don't see why it isn't enough to justify a slot on BBC4.  The people doing the streaming claimed that more people watched it than watched Sky Arts all day, but I'd hazard a guess that some of those "views" came from people struggling with their connection, so disconnecting, then reconnecting.

If an edited version were to appear on the BBC, it would cover some of the costs that might allow it to flow a bit better, and be more suitable for tv coverage.   Little previews of each show with each nomination group would be excellent advertising too.

There might be more pressure to include a few more tv friendly faces on the show, but that can be dealt with through who presents the prizes, but in turn it will help to make more theatre people recognisable on tv.  Perhaps they'd need to make it less London-centric, but no harm in that.  There are many excellent regional and touring productions and a couple of new categories to consider that would deal with it.

#10 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5131 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 09:25 PM

It's too' London' for the BBC. Even a regional award wouldn't redress the balance. It could be done with one of those behind the scenes reveal programmes but there might not be enough mileage in that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users