22 replies to this topic

#21 wickedgrin

wickedgrin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 09:26 AM

Yes I remember when these awards were televised and the extracts they broadcast of shows were dire simply because showing stage perfomances on TV always looks wrong as it is an entirely different techinique.

Producers are always keen to have TV exposure for their theatrical product to encourage ticket sales, hence the desire to get the Oliviers on TV, but this can often backfire on them when an extract of the stage show is perfomed on TV and rarely comes across well as it is directed for stage rather than TV.

I have seen, very recently, on TV two very slickly made TV commercials for WE theatre though, whcih I thought worked very well - Sister Act and Billy Elliot. Lets hope they pull in the punters for these shows as TV ad slots are expensive.

#22 Weez

Weez

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2632 posts
  • Interests:Theatre. :D

Posted 26 March 2010 - 09:29 AM

I imagine it could be quite costly to televise 'em. I know the Tony awards take an UNGODLY sum of money to put on. And we're only ever going to be a niche crowd. It would be nice to have them on TV, but we can live without it. Especially if the web-streaming continues (and improves). It might be nice, but it's so far from necessary. Let's just be pleased we have theatre awards at all! :3

Notes from the Earlham Street Gutter
http://earlhamstreet...r.blogspot.com/

#23 VelmaMaureen

VelmaMaureen

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 09:13 PM

Before I only wanted them to be broadcast so I personally could watch them, but because of the online streaming this year I could, so provided we get an improved version of that next year I don't mind.

They don't even broadcast the Oscars in the UK, except for on Sky Movies, which you obviously have to pay extra for. The general public would be more likely to watch the Oliviers and the Tonys, so there you go, I guess.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users