5 replies to this topic

#1 canmark

canmark

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 10:57 AM

Has anyone heard any advance news about the upcoming production of "All About My Mother" at the Old Vic? "Mother" is my favorite Almodovar, and just saw it again last night at a double-bill screening with "All About Eve."

Has it been produced on the stage in Spanish, or is this English-language version the first stage adaptation? I've read that Diana Rigg will play Huma Rojo and Lesley Manville will play Manuela. Being Canadian, I'm not familar with Ms. Manville, although I've read she was in "Secrets and Lies" and "Vera Drake," both excellent films (I don't recall who she played in those films).

http://www.oldvictheatre.com/whatson.php?id=36

#2 Alexandra

Alexandra

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1779 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 11:47 AM

I think it's the very first stage adaptation, but I'm not completely sure. Lesley Manville is an interesting choice for Manuela - she's a terrific actress with a great line in working- and lower middle- class women and I'm sure she can pull it off.

#3 josh

josh

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 741 posts
  • Interests:theatre, movies, actors, acting, directing

Posted 22 June 2007 - 04:18 PM

I'M SO EXCITED. I LOVE THIS MOVIE. I CANNOT WAIT TO SEE IT ON STAGE.

(sorry the caps were essential to express just how excited i am!)
He used to call me Blue Roses.

#4 Theatresquirrel

Theatresquirrel

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 10:25 AM

YEP. CAPS ARE JUSTIFIED.

I'm gobsmacked by the casting. I can't imagine two actresses better suited - and what's great is that they seem right for the characters, and haven't just been cast because of resemblance to the original actresses who played the roles on screen. Rigg will be a pretty different Huma from the amazing Marisa Paredes, and Manville likewise from Cecilia Roth, and that's really necessary, I think, for this to work. While I'm sure we all want all the juicy colours and melodrama and emotion of the film, a xerox of it won't be enough for the stage; the play has got to be a thing in itself too, and this casting seems a big step forward to assuring that. I'm also really excited to see Charlotte Randle's in it too - whoever she's playing - because she's such a big-hearted, vivid actress and I'm sure she's a perfect fit for one of Almodovar's characters. What intrigues me most is whether it'll still be set in Spain, and will they all be laying on the Spanish accents?

It is, yes, the world premiere. It's had a really good website for a couple of years now at www.allaboutmyother.com, charting its development.

Can't wait to see the production design and hear the music - hope they do it live. Alberto Iglesias is a genius.

Me excitan.

#5 josh

josh

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 741 posts
  • Interests:theatre, movies, actors, acting, directing

Posted 23 June 2007 - 10:59 AM

QUOTE(Theatresquirrel @ Jun 23 2007, 11:25 AM) View Post
YEP. CAPS ARE JUSTIFIED.

I'm gobsmacked by the casting. I can't imagine two actresses better suited - and what's great is that they seem right for the characters, and haven't just been cast because of resemblance to the original actresses who played the roles on screen. Rigg will be a pretty different Huma from the amazing Marisa Paredes, and Manville likewise from Cecilia Roth, and that's really necessary, I think, for this to work. While I'm sure we all want all the juicy colours and melodrama and emotion of the film, a xerox of it won't be enough for the stage; the play has got to be a thing in itself too, and this casting seems a big step forward to assuring that. I'm also really excited to see Charlotte Randle's in it too - whoever she's playing - because she's such a big-hearted, vivid actress and I'm sure she's a perfect fit for one of Almodovar's characters. What intrigues me most is whether it'll still be set in Spain, and will they all be laying on the Spanish accents?

It is, yes, the world premiere. It's had a really good website for a couple of years now at www.allaboutmyother.com, charting its development.

Can't wait to see the production design and hear the music - hope they do it live. Alberto Iglesias is a genius.

Me excitan.

hablas espanol? podriamos discutirlo en espanol smile.gif

Yeah, I'm also wondering about the accents...I'm sure they are going to set it in Spain, can't imagine it anywhere else, and they're keeping all the character names and stuff so...

I'm so excited!! I want to see all of Almodovar's films on stage! aaaaaaaaaaaaaah
He used to call me Blue Roses.

#6 Biddy

Biddy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 02:39 PM

QUOTE(Theatresquirrel @ Jun 23 2007, 11:25 AM) View Post
It's had a really good website for a couple of years now at www.allaboutmyother.com, charting its development.

That LINK is misspelt: it should say: http://www.allaboutmymother.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users