The Man of Mode

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
34 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_Skylight_*

Guest_Skylight_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 March 2007 - 11:13 AM

Just to be clear, I certainly wasn't advocating a Globe style production complete with period undergarments!  It's more that in period the characters and actions would seem natural but here they feel false.  I spent far too much time thinking 'ooh look isn't it clever how it fits' - eg Mrs Loveit's fan, having Asian characters so you could get away with the arranged marriage, Fopling's clothes (which at one point Dorimant had to point to to get across that that was what he was talking about), referring to Dorimant being in the magazine etc. .  I'm a huge fan of Hytner and his style but just for once I'd rather have seen straight to the heart of the play without the obstruction of forced contemporary relevance.  The audience's connection with the characters should come through their emotional existence, not the fact they are reading the same magazines we see in the supermarket.

#22 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5146 posts

Posted 10 March 2007 - 04:51 PM

Skylight, very interesting. That point about the set - surely the whole thing about Doriment is that he is a fortune hunter and not especially well off himself. His 'flat' therefore would certainly not be the oh so up to date place that they try to show us in this production. At best there would be a sumptous bed with the rest of the flat a bit scruffy and hidden. The women are not going to his place for a lesson in interior decor are they? So I feel the whole updating was a poor reading of the text and that in my book is unforgiveable. If they want Doriment to have this flat like a set-up , like a flat borrowed or on credit as it were, they should have found a way of making it clear. The shop was ok and although I laughed at the Indian parents and the 'arranged' marriage at the time, I'm not laughing now. It was a bit sick. How you could see this production twice I don't know. I fear for Much Ado, one of favourite plays. It is usually fool [ ie director] proof] but anything can happen.

#23 plutoanddragons

plutoanddragons

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 10 March 2007 - 05:09 PM

Woah, lots of different opinions on this one. I'm having to wait until there's another (hopefully) 15 ticket offer. Are there cheap day seats available, anybody know?

#24 Michael H

Michael H

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 11 March 2007 - 12:00 AM

QUOTE(Skylight @ Mar 10 2007, 12:01 AM) View Post
(Though I still find the fact that Dorimant's bed is practically in the kitchen silly - who would do that?!).

It's called living in a one bedroom flat in London.  Although goodness knows where Handy, the servant, is supposed to sleep.

I agree pretty much with the general consensus on here.  Well acted by many people, especially Rory Kinnear, but there's something I can't quite put my finger on.  Maybe it's Restoration Comedy in general.  The post-Cromwell unpouring that Madhav Sharma spoke of.

Many thanks to the WOSers for arranging the Q&A, though.

Me is directing again - Private Peaceful at the Charles Cryer Theatre, Carshalton, 23 to 26 April 2014.

#25 Guest_Skylight_*

Guest_Skylight_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 March 2007 - 12:23 AM

Yes of course, I stand corrected on the flat layout issue.  Somewhere along the line I missed the point about him not having much money (relative to the other characters).  Now I'm wondering how come he's got any money?!  Loveit has a boutique (and a rich husband?), Townley has the bar, Harriet has her estate in Yorkshire and Fopling is a Sir (which presumably brings some dosh with it) but where has Dorimant got his cash from? Why is he famous enough to have his photograph in magazines?  Why does everyone know who he is?

Maybe he's been on Big Brother.  

I can see it now: Much Ado set in the Big Brother house.  The gulling scene in the garden.  Monologues in the Diary Room.  Hero taken to the secret house next door when they thinks she's dead. ohmy.gif

[Pluto the day seats and the back row of the circle (bookable in advance) are always 10.]

#26 josh

josh

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 741 posts
  • Interests:theatre, movies, actors, acting, directing

Posted 11 March 2007 - 12:59 PM

QUOTE(Skylight @ Mar 11 2007, 12:23 AM) View Post
Hero taken to the secret house next door when they thinks she's dead. ohmy.gif

I LOVE YOU  laugh.gif
He used to call me Blue Roses.

#27 Eve

Eve

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 12:25 PM

Skylight - that is VERY funny!

#28 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5146 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 11:57 PM

We all love you Skylight.

#29 Guest_Skylight_*

Guest_Skylight_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 March 2007 - 01:58 AM

I'm feeling your love Lynette.  When Josh is artistic director of the NT and I'm getting freebies off him you'll take it all back.  wink.gif

#30 Marius

Marius

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 15 April 2007 - 10:55 AM

I went to see The Man of Mode. I didnt really know much about the play other than what id read in reviews, it was, simply, stunning! Although originally a restoration comedy/drama its now set in modern London, but using the original text. The set design is modern and works brilliantly, and the costumes are just out of Bond Street (well prob Topshop but they look great!) its quite simply the most stylish production ive seen in ages. First time ive sat in the Nationals 10 seats at the front 3 rows, absolute bargain, I was in row C and could almost touch them.

Tom Hardy who ive recently discovered as an actor having seen him in Scenes of a Sexual Nature (great film by the way - recommend it) is perfectly cast as Doriment. His posturing, posing, and facial expressions are spot on, plus he is a very handsome guy and looks great in a suit, which for this role is important (he also looks great topless, which is also kinda important for the role it seems! lol) He has tremendous stage presense and is very watchable. an actor to watch for the future, also interestingly for me (being short myself! lol) he wasnt that tall!

The rest of the cast were also faultless, with Rory Kinnear almost stealing the show with his brilliant Sir Fopling Flutter. All the women in it held their own as well, it really was a great ensemble piece.

The cheoreography during the scene changes (especially in act 1) was great, as was the dancing in act 2. Basically I just loved every minute of this production. There were ALOT of older audience members (and Alan Rickman!!)and listening to them they didnt seem that taken with it to start with, but I think a younger audience would really like it.

It closes this Thursday so I really recommend catching it before it does.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users