ukmusic

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Interests:Musicals

Posted 16 April 2007 - 08:30 AM

QUOTE(Marius @ Apr 15 2007, 11:55 AM) View Post
I went to see The Man of Mode. I didnt really know much about the play other than what id read in reviews, it was, simply, stunning! Although originally a restoration comedy/drama its now set in modern London, but using the original text. The set design is modern and works brilliantly, and the costumes are just out of Bond Street (well prob Topshop but they look great!) its quite simply the most stylish production ive seen in ages. First time ive sat in the Nationals 10 seats at the front 3 rows, absolute bargain, I was in row C and could almost touch them.

Tom Hardy who ive recently discovered as an actor having seen him in Scenes of a Sexual Nature (great film by the way - recommend it) is perfectly cast as Doriment. His posturing, posing, and facial expressions are spot on, plus he is a very handsome guy and looks great in a suit, which for this role is important (he also looks great topless, which is also kinda important for the role it seems! lol) He has tremendous stage presense and is very watchable. an actor to watch for the future, also interestingly for me (being short myself! lol) he wasnt that tall!

The rest of the cast were also faultless, with Rory Kinnear almost stealing the show with his brilliant Sir Fopling Flutter. All the women in it held their own as well, it really was a great ensemble piece.

The cheoreography during the scene changes (especially in act 1) was great, as was the dancing in act 2. Basically I just loved every minute of this production. There were ALOT of older audience members (and Alan Rickman!!)and listening to them they didnt seem that taken with it to start with, but I think a younger audience would really like it.

It closes this Thursday so I really recommend catching it before it does.

I agree 100% with your comments. I have seen it 4 times and its just brilliant in every aspect and your review is very accurate too.
Lola

#32 plutoanddragons

plutoanddragons

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 01:23 PM

Glad to read some unmitigated praise for this; I'm finally getting to see this tonight! :-)

Is it only me that can't see all the replies to this thread anymore? I can only see the four most recent messages and the rest aren't even listed. Is it because the thread's pretty old?

#33 El Peter

El Peter

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 08:07 PM

We've got good tickets at reduced rate for Tuesday night and we're looking forward to seeing the play.

Until posting now, I couldn't see beyond post#29, so I picked a post to reply to in order to register my comment. So, plutoanddragons, it's not just a problem that one poster has been having. Moderator, please note.

#34 plutoanddragons

plutoanddragons

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 10:05 AM

After The Alchemist I was a bit wary of modern dress productions, because inevitably at some points  the text glaringly does not mesh well with the setting and it feels shoehorned into the present, but The Man of Mode I thought was fantastic.

It really does fit well with the present,  helped by the quick, funny and engaging dialogue, so I actually believed in the characters and their setting. The sets and the dancing interludes, although at some stages the latter went on for too long, were fantastic. I thought all the actors were excellent, and I'd really recommend seeing it before it ends on thursday, the time flew by.

I went last night and the side of the circle, from what I could see, was pretty empty and the whatsonstage offer is still going, which I used and got middle of the stalls seats, so no excuses for not going :-).

#35 El Peter

El Peter

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 10:49 AM

We enjoyed this. It was great fun. I didn't know the play and so it all unfolded on stage as a nice surprise. Well done, to everyone involved.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users