• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 whittlebot

whittlebot

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Interests:Theatre! Film Music (the music composed for films) Off-road cycling. Hiking. And restaurant evenings in the company of a few close friends.

Posted 27 June 2007 - 08:45 PM

Been to most of London's Theatre's but not to the Donmar, and no I'm not a theatre snob! I was desperate to see John Gabriel Borkman but events conspired against me. What is it like from the visibility point of view (no pun intended) and accoustics please.

#2 Jan Brock

Jan Brock

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2756 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 09:09 PM

QUOTE(whittlebot @ Jun 27 2007, 09:45 PM) View Post
Been to most of London's Theatre's but not to the Donmar, and no I'm not a theatre snob! I was desperate to see John Gabriel Borkman but events conspired against me. What is it like from the visibility point of view (no pun intended) and accoustics please.

Anywhere downstairs is fine, upstairs visibility is not perfect.

#3 whittlebot

whittlebot

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Interests:Theatre! Film Music (the music composed for films) Off-road cycling. Hiking. And restaurant evenings in the company of a few close friends.

Posted 28 June 2007 - 07:40 PM

Thank you, Jan

#4 peggs

peggs

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 12:07 PM

Well worth a visit. I've been to relatively few London theatres I suppose but I do really like the Donmar, the intimacy is brillant. You're best sititng downstairs facing the front of the stage for best visibility but i've sat on both sides before and you're fine as long as no actor stands facing the other way for too long.

#5 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5142 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 03:28 PM

Downstairs best; upstairs cramped. It is small - only a few rows set on three sides of stage. I've found that sitting on the side is fine.

#6 smith

smith

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 10:03 AM

Definitely sit downstairs. I saw Frost/Nixon from the front row of the stalls on the side, and I think it made it even better. Saw Betrayal on Saturday from upstairs - really enjoyed it, and you're still not far from the action, but I just wished i was downstairs right in the action!

#7 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 10:16 PM

Upstairs at the Donmar is - literally - a pain in the neck. Don't touch it with a bargepole. Unfortunately, the same goes for the new Hampstead Theatre Club which really has no excuses as it's a brand new building.

#8 Orchestrator

Orchestrator

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1028 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 09:13 AM

QUOTE(Daniel @ Jul 13 2007, 11:16 PM) View Post
Upstairs at the Donmar is - literally - a pain in the neck. Don't touch it with a bargepole. Unfortunately, the same goes for the new Hampstead Theatre Club which really has no excuses as it's a brand new building.

Except that no one has seen fit to change the laws of physics in the intervening period.
Ooh, that Bernadette Shaw - what a chatterbox!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users