15 replies to this topic

#1 Blue

Blue

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 09:45 PM

With ALW thinking about pushing out Phantom 2, what other musicals do you think are ripe for a sequel?

#2 Haz

Haz

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1264 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 09:47 PM

the we will rock you sequel has long since been talked about but whether it will ever materialise is anybody's guess.
whether or not it is clear to you,
no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should

http://curtain-up.blogspot.com/

#3 Paul

Paul

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 10:05 PM

This might turn out to be a dumb question, if I've missed something obvious, but has any show ever had a sequel?

If it's anything like it is with films, then I wouldn't hold out much hope on them being as good...
It's nice to be better, but it's better to be nice...

#4 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 10:18 PM

Only ones I can think of are March of the Falsettos and Falsettoland (I think they become one very long show eventually). Are there any others? (not counting Disney cartoons). I can't think of any that would benefit by a sequel.

#5 Guest_Guess work_*

Guest_Guess work_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 February 2007 - 10:39 PM

QUOTE(armadillo @ Feb 19 2007, 10:18 PM) View Post
Only ones I can think of are March of the Falsettos and Falsettoland (I think they become one very long show eventually). Are there any others? (not counting Disney cartoons). I can't think of any that would benefit by a sequel.

Divorce Me, Darling is a sequel to The Boyfriend. Let 'Em Eat Cake is a sequel to Of Thee I Sing. Utopia Ltd. features Captain Corcoran from HMS Pinafore. Henry IV Pt 2 follows Henry IV Pt 1. Charles Strouse wrote Annie 2 to capitalise on the success of Annie, but it flopped.

#6 Peter

Peter

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 09:05 AM

'Bring Back Birdie' was a sequel to 'Bye Bye Birdie'. It also flopped.
"Don't you DARE use 'party' as a verb in my shop!"

#7 Reich

Reich

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1024 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 11:06 AM

annie two is one of the worse movies i have seen. so bad it's brilliant. see it if you have the chance the chance

Broadway has been very good to me. But then, I've been very good to broadway.

#8 Peter

Peter

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 11:27 AM

QUOTE(Reich @ Feb 20 2007, 11:06 AM) View Post
annie two is one of the worse movies i have seen. so bad it's brilliant. see it if you have the chance the chance

I had no idea it was a film as well, I've only heard of the version that opened in the US (Washington?) - originally titled Miss Hannigan's Revenge, then simply Annie 2. I think that there's an account of it in 'Not Since Carrie'

As for film musical sequels - Grease 2 is pretty awful...
"Don't you DARE use 'party' as a verb in my shop!"

#9 perfidious_albion

perfidious_albion

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 11:40 AM

Was the film Shock Treatment a sequel to Rocky Horror Show?

As for Phantom 2, this sounds like rehashed news to me... I thought he asked the Queen Mom's favourite, Freddie Forsyth, to write a sequel to the story, nothing came of the musical adaptation but I am sure the book was written.

#10 perfidious_albion

perfidious_albion

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 11:44 AM

Yep, just did a search, it was called The Phantom of Manhattan, here's some blurb from Amazon...

The author of The Day of the Jackal (1971) and Icon (1996) steals more then a page from Gaston Leroux and Andrew Lloyd Webber to bring Erik, the Phantom of the Paris Opera, to America bearing his memories of Christine. Forsyth opens his continuation in 1906 with Antoinette Girya former Paris Opera ballerina who became mistress of the corps de ballet, now 58 and dying of cancertelling the familiar story of Christine de Chagny, the Phantom's beloved, currently the greatest diva in Europe. Giry first saw 16-year-old Erik as a cruelly deformed sideshow freak, with one side of his face looking like molten candle wax and maggots writhing in wounds caused by his chains. Later she freed Erik and nursed him, letting him wander the seven floors under the opera house. Having learned carpentry from his brutal father, who had sold him to the circus, Erik filched what he needed and built his own quarters, then taught himself all the works in the opera's enormous library. He fell in love with Christine, coached her singing, and abducted her once she became a star. When the police and pregnant Christine's beau Vicomte de Chagny saved her, Erik fled. Antoinette found him and, in Forsyth's point of departure from Gaston Leroux, put him on a freighter bound for New York. At this point Erik takes up the story. Starting as a fish-gutter, he becomes as wealthy as Croesus. At first he wants a screened and curtained box at the new Metropolitan Opera, but instead he joins Oscar Hammerstein as a secret partner in opening a house of his own. His eye is on the renowned soprano Nellie Melba. Just as his plans are ripening, however, Christine comes to Manhattan to sing at the Met's inaugural opera. Will she and the Phantom sing together again? Will he see his son at last? Forsyth captures the era with a brilliant series of pasteboard narrators who stand in for Manhattan's garish liveliness. Please understand, though, it's all perfectly operatic.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users