5 replies to this topic

#1 James Gardner

James Gardner

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 11:15 PM

Hi All,

Just returned from the Producers opening night in Manchester. A very good, very sharp performance throughout, although some technical hiccups which I am sure will evaporate quickly as the show beds in.

Cory English - Fantastic as the first occassion I saw him as Nathan Lane's alternate in December 2004. Absolutely inhabits the role of Max, Betrayed tonight will stay in my mind for a long time.

John Gordon Sinclair - I had a problem here as I had seen Lee Evans in the original London Cast - whose performance was certainly love or hate - I adored Lee Evans in the role - he was Leo every bit of the way every second he was on stage. In the light of that I found John Gordon Sinclair's performance rather understated at times and then very dramatic at others (hysterical). Not bad, just very different!

Peter Kay - Is a genius. The problem here is that his performance, his personality and his energy far far exceed the character in the musical, who is just a camp, rather one-dimensional character, and a character very under-developed. The producers of the musical have clearly tried to get every stage moment they can out of their star man, and the moments he is on stage are absolutely JOYOUS. Each of the numbers is a mixture of the rehearsed material and spontenoeus comic magic which is just fantastic. As with his TV and Stand-up shows - you never know where he will take you next, so it is exciting, surprising and entertaining in equal measure.

#2 Rich

Rich

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 11:21 PM

Thanks for the review.
Seeing this on Saturday and really looking forward to it, although I wasn't a fan of John Gordon Sinclair when I saw him in London, especially after seeing Lee Evans who I thought was fantastic.

#3 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2007 - 12:02 AM

I'm still in shock to be honest, looking forward to seeing the reviews tomorrow!

#4 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2007 - 12:44 AM

I saw John in his London run and was HIGHLY unimpressed, comparing him with Lee Evans... heaven n hell (Lee n John).

#5 M George

M George

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 06:20 PM

Excellent, tis looking promising to be a good show.  I am going along towards the end of its Manchester run.  Here's hoping it does well!!
I won't be called a baggage!

#6 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2007 - 10:29 PM

NT

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users