• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12 replies to this topic

#1 RingLady

RingLady

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 02:00 PM

Can anyone tell me if one can usher for plays in London?  Do you know if any theatre uses volunteer ushers so us poor actors can see shows?

#2 bananafrit

bananafrit

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 730 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 06:44 PM

Maybe I don't understand the question but of course you can Usher for plays in London. You send your CV into the Front of House Manager of the theatre you want to work at and they employ you... simple as that?!?

#3 Rachel

Rachel

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 08:26 PM

Hello, I've been lurking here for a while but thought I could offer some advice.

I believe the Globe uses volunteer ushers, but that's the only theatre I know that does. The rest employ ushers either on a full time basis (most shows in a week including weekends), or part time (a few shifts a week). I used to usher on a part time basis, but the I think that theatre was in the minority.

Hope that's some help.

#4 Amo

Amo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 07:08 PM

QUOTE(RingLady @ Jul 3 2007, 02:00 PM) View Post
Can anyone tell me if one can usher for plays in London?  Do you know if any theatre uses volunteer ushers so us poor actors can see shows?

The Globe and the Little Angel were the only two I was aware of.

#5 immortal longings

immortal longings

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Interests:Theatre, music, movies

Posted 14 July 2007 - 07:49 PM

I'm a steward at the Globe and am indeed a volunteer. They ask for a minimum of 12 shifts a season.
This is my second season now and I'm having a ball.
You can get more info here: http://www.shakespeares-globe.org/theatre/stewarding/

#6 ianianian

ianianian

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 12:56 AM

Yes I'm a volunteer steward at the Globe too. Have seen all the plays so far this season several times, it's good in that sense because the plays change so much throughout their run as the actors settle in to the roles, the Merchant of Venice was quite flat at first but now it is great fun with all the comedy they've gradually worked into it. Good place to work as the tickets aren't that expensive so you get a great audience mix, lots of friendly Americans who love the place. It has a great atmosphere and it's terrific to stand in the Upper Gallery and hear the audience roar with appreciation at the end, very satisfying to be a tiny part of the team that gave them their good night out.

Not sure if it's still possible to join in this season as they may have done all the training/induction sessions now, but they're always short of people nearly every performance, so it could be worth a go.

#7 Guest_Steff_*

Guest_Steff_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 February 2008 - 04:55 PM

I'm interested in being a volunteer steward at the Globe too, but I'm also doing a uni course at the moment. Does anyone know if it's possible to chose which dates would be best to work on so that I can fit it around my timetable?

#8 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 February 2008 - 11:45 PM

Yes you choose which dates you want to do.

#9 Guest_Guest_liz_*_*

Guest_Guest_liz_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 December 2009 - 02:31 PM

QUOTE(RingLady @ Jul 3 2007, 02:00 PM) View Post

#10 Guest_Guest_liz_*_*

Guest_Guest_liz_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 December 2009 - 02:35 PM

The Roundhouse,  Chalk Farm Road take on volunteers.  There is an induction day so not sure if they will take anyone yet. It's worth giving them a ring to find out though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users