2 replies to this topic

#1 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 08:19 PM

I have just been to see a very commendable performance of Arthur Miller's play at Hampstead presented by the Oxford School of Drama. In this production 4 actors shared the role of Quentin & 3 actresses the role of Maggie. I am intrigued - not having seen this play before - whether  previous productions have had this type of multi-casting or whether it was simply a feature of this production?

#2 Jan Brock

Jan Brock

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2756 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 01:38 AM

QUOTE(Daniel @ Apr 17 2010, 09:19 PM) View Post
I have just been to see a very commendable performance of Arthur Miller's play at Hampstead presented by the Oxford School of Drama. In this production 4 actors shared the role of Quentin & 3 actresses the role of Maggie. I am intrigued - not having seen this play before - whether  previous productions have had this type of multi-casting or whether it was simply a feature of this production?

It is not usual. I saw the NT production of this which caused a bit of a stir at the time by casting a black actress (Josette Simon) in the Marilyn Monroe role.

#3 Backdrifter

Backdrifter

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  • Interests:Moving, sleeping, eating, not being here

Gender says 'not telling' but, clue: I own some Y chromosomes

Posted 18 April 2010 - 04:00 PM

Matthew Bourne's Play Without Words (based on The Servant) at the NT 5 or 6 years ago did this, and the Orange Tree did The Caucasian Chalk Circle about the same time using this approach - I found both very effective.
Turn up the signal... wipe out the noise

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users