13 replies to this topic

#1 JerseyGirl

JerseyGirl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 09:02 PM

Hi... okey i have recently decided that i want a complete change - career wise -  and i would like to do something in theatre, thats not singing/dancing or acting as i cant really do any of that...something backstage. Ive been looking up info about being a stagehand. And i just wondered if anyone on here worked or has worked as one, what's it like? or any other info about it.
Thanks in advance smile.gif

#2 Colourarc

Colourarc

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 08:12 AM

What job do you do at the moment?

Are you prepared to work 6 days a week? Occasional Sundays?

Are you prepared to work Bank Holidays, in glorious weather and miss out on family get-togethers?

Are you prepared to get dirty & sweaty and get no thanks for doing a great job, but pilloried if you mess up?

Do you think it's all fun & glamour & parties?

There are several topics in this section of the forum about backstage work that have info about how & who to apply to. Check them out!

Good Luck!

nice. nice. nice. nice, nice, nice, nice, nice, nice, nice. very nice!

#3 JerseyGirl

JerseyGirl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 04:44 PM

Im working as a preschool teacher at the mo. But have been doing alot of thinking and i want a complete change, and doing something in theatre was an optoion i'd like to do, so im just trying to find out as much as i can before i make the decison to apply etc.

hmm... is it really that bad then? Have you worked as one? is it worth the pay?

Don't judge me by this prob very stupid question, by which you can prob tell i dont know alot - but I thought a stage hand was someone who help put up scenery, put props in correct position on stage and changed props at scene change, and handing actors props from the side? or is there alot more to it then just that? unsure.gif
I couldn't really find alot of info on other sites about this job, that's why i thort id ask here.
smile.gif

#4 Colourarc

Colourarc

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 10:18 PM

QUOTE(JerseyGirl @ Apr 19 2010, 05:44 PM) View Post
hmm... is it really that bad then? Have you worked as one? is it worth the pay?

Don't judge me by this prob very stupid question, by which you can prob tell i dont know alot - but I thought a stage hand was someone who help put up scenery, put props in correct position on stage and changed props at scene change, and handing actors props from the side? or is there alot more to it then just that? unsure.gif
I couldn't really find alot of info on other sites about this job, that's why i thort id ask here.
smile.gif

No, it's not bad at all! but if you think it's an easy job & just fun - it's not!

Some shows are paid better than others, some have a heavier workload.

If you love the job it's worth the pay!

Props are dealt with by Stage Management.
Scenery/set changes/flying pieces by Stage Crew.

Where do you live? Do you have a local Theatre? It might be worth while seeing if your local theatre is taking on any casual crew, or if any local Am Dram groups need a hand, ask around and get some experience, see if you like it before giving up your day job!

pm me if you want.

#5 JerseyGirl

JerseyGirl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 06:31 PM

I live in Buckinghamshire. The closest thearte to me would prob be Milton keynes or wycombe. But i will def check them out!
Nope im gonna give up the day job just yet lol.

Also ive seen that there's a course NVQ Levels 2 and 3 for stagehands in film and television... do you know if this is any good, or worth it as the job discription does say the qulifications arent needed? Has anyone done this course?
Another silly question whats the difference between stage crew and stagehands?
Thanks smile.gif

#6 Colourarc

Colourarc

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 10:15 PM

No idea about the course I'm afraid, but Film/TV work is *very* different to theatre - so I don't think it would help if it's really theatre you want to do.

I would imagine that the difference between the two job titles is the industry - it's always been CREW in theatre as far as I'm concerned! lol

#7 JerseyGirl

JerseyGirl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 08:32 PM

Okay - Thanks for your help Colourarc! smile.gif

#8 Colourarc

Colourarc

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 10:23 PM

no probs - feel free to pm me if you want.

#9 Guest_wood pusher_*

Guest_wood pusher_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 May 2010 - 12:51 PM

QUOTE(Colourarc @ Apr 21 2010, 10:23 PM) View Post
no probs - feel free to pm me if you want.

No-one has yet pointed out that a showman's job is effectively part time.  You will probably find it a drop from teaching pay.  Bottom line - 30/perf. plus pre-sets and bonuses - maybe. Or maybe not.

It can be a physically heavy job too.  If you've never lifted anything heavier than your holiday suitcase then you might want to consider your ability to do so.

#10 JerseyGirl

JerseyGirl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 08:31 PM

QUOTE(wood pusher @ May 7 2010, 01:51 PM) View Post
No-one has yet pointed out that a showman's job is effectively part time. You will probably find it a drop from teaching pay. Bottom line - 30/perf. plus pre-sets and bonuses - maybe. Or maybe not.

It can be a physically heavy job too. If you've never lifted anything heavier than your holiday suitcase then you might want to consider your ability to do so.

Yea, ive been reading alot up about it. And i think im going to write to theatres, to see if they can do any work experiance. As i have 6 weeks off in the summer, to see if they have anything going over then, and if by some miracle i manage to get something - then at least i can decide then.
But i'm not holding out much hope.

Although you say it's more part time, ive read that it can vary from working just evenings, to working up to 12 hours a day! But i supose it depends on what theatre it is.

Also i found this http://www.solt.co.uk/downloads/pdfs/rates...ECTUrates07.pdf
Does this relate to all/most theatres - as in the pay and hours per week?
Another thing (sorry for all the prob sill questions) but what does chargehand stage/1st grade stage and dayman mean?

Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users