The Reporter

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
28 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Skylight_*

Guest_Skylight_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 February 2007 - 11:22 PM

Okay so it's still previewing but I nearly fell asleep.  Angela Thorne is engaging and moving as a mother struggling to come to terms with the death of her daughter and the projections that make up the set are nice to look at but when one of the highlights is the fact that the door of the projection matches exactly with a real door so a character can actually walk out if it it suggests there's a problem.  If you're a fan of nostalgia and monologues that slow the pace down to a standstill then this might just be your lucky day. Something tells me Billington's gonna like it.

#2 El Peter

El Peter

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 11:50 PM

I'd like to see it. I hope, though, that more performances become available.

#3 coated peanuts

coated peanuts

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 12:01 AM

I saw it in the previews as well and thought it was the best play I have seen for ages. I liked Chaplin's performance, the switches from narrator to participant and the way the subject of Mossman's suicide was approached. There is not a lot of action and frantic running around on stage, and it made the whole play more powerful to me.

#4 Guest_Skylight_*

Guest_Skylight_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2007 - 12:05 AM

Why did he tell so much in monologues?  Wouldn't it have been preferable to see the scenes acted out?  So much narration is lazy and dull.

#5 Guest_oh please_*

Guest_oh please_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2007 - 12:24 PM

SKYLIGHT. SHAME ON YOU STARTING A NEW THREAD ON THIS WHEN SOMEONE ALREADY POSTED ABOUT IT BEFORE. WHAT A WASTE OF CYBERSPACE. YOU SHOULD KNOW BETTER. WE SHOULD BE CONSERVING THREADS. YOU SAID IT YOURSELF ON THE EQUUS THREAD. ERRRRR, WHOOPS.

#6 Guest_Skylight_*

Guest_Skylight_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2007 - 12:59 PM

I think you'll find the thread you are referring to is about three plays which hardly makes it clear what is being discussed.

Are you aware that using capitals is the equivalent of shouting?  Perhaps you should brush up on your netiquette before you start handing out advice.

#7 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2007 - 10:17 PM

NT

#8 Guest_oh please_*

Guest_oh please_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 February 2007 - 03:47 PM

I didn't realise using capitals was the equivalent of shouting.

In cyberspace, no one can hear you scream.

I can't believe I didn't start a new thread for this because it has nothing to do with The Reporter. Perpetual shame on me.

#9 AndrewOrange

AndrewOrange

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 04:22 PM

Found this play rather entertaining and quite absorbing. Was never bored, and that's quite rare for me.

#10 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2007 - 02:02 PM

I wasn't convinced by the publicity and the lukewarm reviews only make me more disinclined to fork out for this.

On top of all that it's about a BBC reporter. As if I don't have enough exposure to self-aggrandising BBC reporters via my telly however many hours of the day. Why would I want to pay to see more of them?

I sit there astonished these days watching news reports from war zones with BBC journalists occasionally getting caught in crossfire who then turn to the camera and complain about being shot at in a war zone. You couldn't make it up. Half the footage those John Simpson types trot out could come straight out of that spoof show The Day Today only they want me to take them for real.

I bet some of the audience sit there thinking of it as a sort of vicarious revenge on the Corporation for taking their hard-earned cash for that extortionate licence fee without even the decency of giving people a choice in the matter.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users