The Reporter

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
28 replies to this topic

#11 Guest_Skylight_*

Guest_Skylight_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2007 - 02:46 PM

Only 3 stars from Billington, I take it back.  Disappointed he mentions almost every actor other than Angela Thorne though.  She was the highlight for me.

The lukewarm reaction is interesting as during previews I was led to believe that my lukewarm response was controversial.

Guest, this play could do with a few "scenes of terrible devastation" to give it a kick up its shuffling backside.  wink.gif

#12 Guest_musicals fan_*

Guest_musicals fan_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 February 2007 - 01:50 PM

I found it shapeless.
It was of some interest if you are of a certain age and familiar with the events and characters in the play, but the story wasn't widened enough to make it of general interest - to look (say) at the media in general in relation to war, politicians etc.
The second half was too dull for words.

#13 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 February 2007 - 02:05 PM

It's trying to make a drama out of nothing - like so much new stuff at the National. If they can't find good new plays then why not put on old ones and concentrate on trying to create the next generation of world class classical actors. The standard at The National and the RSC is really poor for the under 35s. They just come across as clueless robots. There's no spunk.

On a note about the cutbacks of classical theatre at The National, I always like to read The New York Sun online and they had a quick peak over at London's theatre recently and their correspondent said:
"The classical division of the National Theatre has pretty much closed up shop."
Quite. How many more puppet shows and politically correct musicals are we to endure?

#14 Backdrifter

Backdrifter

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  • Interests:Moving, sleeping, eating, not being here

Gender says 'not telling' but, clue: I own some Y chromosomes

Posted 23 February 2007 - 02:46 PM

QUOTE(Guest @ Feb 23 2007, 02:05 PM) View Post
On a note about the cutbacks of classical theatre at The National, I always like to read The New York Sun online and they had a quick peak over at London's theatre recently and their correspondent said:
"The classical division of the National Theatre has pretty much closed up shop."
Quite. How many more puppet shows and politically correct musicals are we to endure?

What puppet shows and PC musicals have they staged recently?
Turn up the signal... wipe out the noise

#15 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 February 2007 - 03:26 PM

Caroline, or Change was there wasn't it? That musical with no tunes that had a tiny fan club solely on the back of its PC credentials.

Could you imagine Trevor Nunn letting Kneehigh and their silly puppets in the door of that place? That was all Hytner's doing.

#16 Backdrifter

Backdrifter

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 999 posts

Gender says 'not telling' but, clue: I own some Y chromosomes

Posted 23 February 2007 - 03:45 PM

QUOTE(Guest @ Feb 23 2007, 03:26 PM) View Post
Caroline, or Change was there wasn't it? That musical with no tunes that had a tiny fan club solely on the back of its PC credentials.

Could you imagine Trevor Nunn letting Kneehigh and their silly puppets in the door of that place? That was all Hytner's doing.

So far then, you're backing up what you said by citing one musical that you consider to be PC, and how many 'puppet shows' exactly?

Sorry to sound nitpicking, I'm just trying to work out whether your post is expressing a serious concern, or is just a bit of a groundless whinge. That sounds combative, but I genuinely don't know which it is.

On the old board a couple of people complained that the NT was now "all railways and riots". This turned out to be based on one play about railways, and one play that featured a riot. I'm a bit wary of posts that vaguely express some misgiving about the current repertoire and a lack of "classical" theatre without anything concrete to back it up. I just looked at the NT's front page on their website and the advertised productions span from Restoration Comedy to new work (including a scratch and a site-specific production) with Brecht, Beckett, Gorky, Williams, and work from the 70s and 90s in between. After this, two Greek plays, a Shakespeare and a Shaw will be staged. That seems a reasonable spread to me, for an early 21st-century subsidised theatre.

However, I'm always interested to read people's arguments for more of what they consider to be classical theatre at the NT, even though I'm rarely swayed by them.
Turn up the signal... wipe out the noise

#17 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 February 2007 - 03:55 PM

puppets in his dark materials too

#18 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 February 2007 - 03:56 PM

I'll go to Sooty and Sweep when I want puppets. Sooty should be dispatched to beat up katie mitchell

#19 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 February 2007 - 03:57 PM

Katie Mitchell, she's more muppet, ain't she

#20 Backdrifter

Backdrifter

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 999 posts