54 replies to this topic

#1 Phoebe-again

Phoebe-again

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 08:10 PM

Since Over the Rainbow now has it's own little section I'm just interested to know who you think should win OTR and who you think will win. Obviously with some questionable voting results so far these two could be very different!

Phoebe biggrin.gif

#2 Scarlett O'hara

Scarlett O'hara

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 08:45 PM

I would like Danielle to win as I think she is the best all round performer and the most suited to Dorothy.
Unfortunately I think Emilie will win purely because the British public seem to like an underdog.
I'm not a fan of TWOO anyway as I think it is one of the most boring and repetitive musicals they could have possibly chosen and I have always considered it to be more panto or amateur theatre worthy than WE. The songs ALW is writing must be pretty darn good for it to be anywhere near as spectacular as Wicked. How they are going to fill a 2000 seater theatre every night is beyond me!
That said, I might be tempted to buy a ticket if Danielle wins as I really think she has leading lady potential and that she has a lot more to give.

If Emilie won they couldn't pay me to go!

#3 fairycake

fairycake

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 08:58 PM

QUOTE(Scarlett O @ Apr 20 2010, 09:45 PM) View Post
I would like Danielle to win as I think she is the best all round performer and the most suited to Dorothy.
Unfortunately I think Emilie will win purely because the British public seem to like an underdog.
I'm not a fan of TWOO anyway as I think it is one of the most boring and repetitive musicals they could have possibly chosen and I have always considered it to be more panto or amateur theatre worthy than WE. The songs ALW is writing must be pretty darn good for it to be anywhere near as spectacular as Wicked. How they are going to fill a 2000 seater theatre every night is beyond me!
That said, I might be tempted to buy a ticket if Danielle wins as I really think she has leading lady potential and that she has a lot more to give.

If Emilie won they couldn't pay me to go!

Emilie - nooooooo!!!!!!
She needs a part in Don't Carry On Over The Rainbow!!!!
http://www.britishcomedyautographs.co.uk/i...cs/joansims.jpg

#4 Phoebe-again

Phoebe-again

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 09:07 PM

Oh I forgot to say mine when posting! My personal favourites are Steph and Stephanie (I loved Bronte too sad.gif) - I think that Steph is really unique and has an incredible voice, acting, dancing. Though Andrew doubts her suitability for the role of Dorothy, they always say in thse shows that they want someone who can re-define the character. Stephanie I think has brilliant stage presence and is outstanding also. Lauren is a very good performer too.

I think in terms of who will win, well... there seems to be quite a lot of support within the audience for Sophie, Stephanie and Jenny (judging by comments I've read) so I wouldn't be surprised to see any of them in the final.

Phoebe biggrin.gif

#5 Allie

Allie

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 10:14 PM

I like Stephanie a lot. If she just toned everything down she'd be the perfect Dorothy. So either her or Danielle are who I'd like it to be.

I'm not sure who I think it actually will be, I think it's still too early to judge. But if Emilie wins, I'll be going no where near the show and I'm sceptical as it is! I think ALW saw the success of Wicked, and thought WOO was the way to do it but WOO doesn't transfer to stage well and I think judging by the state of Love Never Dies, ALW isn't at the top of his game like he was a few years ago. I think it was a massive mistake to choose WOO and I think it'll be the biggest flop out of all the reality TV shows.

I think Steph is amazing, I love her voice but she's not right for Dorothy. I don't like Jenny or Lauren, they both have this air of arrogance about them for a start. Jenny this week showed that her vocals are very much one-trick only and as John rightly pointed out, it feels like she is faking her performances. Lauren I don't belong her vocals are strong enough for a lead role at the minute and I'm not sure she'd manage 8 shows a week. Sophie just hasn't got the stage presence to command a West End stage. Jessica, her facial expressions are just too much, it's all a bit pantomimic and I hate it when musical theatre crosses that line.

If I'm being totally honest, I'm not sure if I can see any of them as Dorothy. Which is a tad worrying but we'll see what happens!

Pity the child with no such weapons
No defence, no escape from the ties that bind

Love Allie x

#6 fairycake

fairycake

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 10:18 PM

QUOTE(Allie @ Apr 20 2010, 11:14 PM) View Post
I like Stephanie a lot. If she just toned everything down she'd be the perfect Dorothy. So either her or Danielle are who I'd like it to be.

I'm not sure who I think it actually will be, I think it's still too early to judge. But if Emilie wins, I'll be going no where near the show and I'm sceptical as it is! I think ALW saw the success of Wicked, and thought WOO was the way to do it but WOO doesn't transfer to stage well and I think judging by the state of Love Never Dies, ALW isn't at the top of his game like he was a few years ago. I think it was a massive mistake to choose WOO and I think it'll be the biggest flop out of all the reality TV shows.

I think Steph is amazing, I love her voice but she's not right for Dorothy. I don't like Jenny or Lauren, they both have this air of arrogance about them for a start. Jenny this week showed that her vocals are very much one-trick only and as John rightly pointed out, it feels like she is faking her performances. Lauren I don't belong her vocals are strong enough for a lead role at the minute and I'm not sure she'd manage 8 shows a week. Sophie just hasn't got the stage presence to command a West End stage. Jessica, her facial expressions are just too much, it's all a bit pantomimic and I hate it when musical theatre crosses that line.

If I'm being totally honest, I'm not sure if I can see any of them as Dorothy. Which is a tad worrying but we'll see what happens!

I also like Stephanie. Have you noticed - accent apart -that she has a way of speaking - lispy? - a bit like Judy Garland?

#7 emkay

emkay

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 11:26 PM

Should win--Danielle.  No question in my mind.  She's got the look, the voice, the acting, the dancing, and the girl-next-door quality that Dorothy needs.  I wouldn't be too crushed if Stephanie wins, though, because I think she's good,too--just not as perfect for the part as Danielle.

Will Win--I honestly have no clue at this point.  The voting is so crazy I'm not sure it's even possible to pick a front-runner anymore.  I'll say one thing, though--if Emilie wins, I'm not sure I'll ever watch another one of these shows, unless they eliminate the wildcard option.

#8 Rosie

Rosie

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Interests:Anything to do with music- playing the oboe, singing and composition.<br />Anything to do with musicals!

Posted 21 April 2010 - 01:56 AM

I'm pretty sure they would get rid of the wild card option if Emilie won! I don't think any of them want to see that happen!

I would like Lauren to win. I've seen her perform before and she really is fantastic, and deserves a West End big-break like this. Allie- she's done 8 shows a week before, I'm sure she could handle it a lot better than many of the others! I'd also be quite happy for Danielle to win.

I think the most likely winners are Danielle and Stephanie. I think the Lord will favour them in sing-offs against any of the others.

I have to agree with Allie and Scarlet o'Hara, that its such a shame they're casting The Wizard of Oz! I can't see it being a big hit to be honest, when there are so many other fantastic shows on in the West End, particularly with Wicked doing so well. The popilarity of ALW's reality shows is waning as well, so I doubt it will be particularly successful. I think the focus is more likely to be on what the runners-up do and what the winner does next, rather than the Wizard of Oz itself.

#9 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 April 2010 - 09:18 AM

Looking at the BBC's Dorothy website, I think it's clear they're picking them off in alphabetical order - Amy, Bronte, Dani..... Of course it's just a coincidence, but if Danielle leaves next week.....  laugh.gif  then we can probably bet on Stephanie to win!

#10 fairycake

fairycake

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 09:39 AM

QUOTE(Rosie @ Apr 21 2010, 02:56 AM) View Post
I have to agree with Allie and Scarlet o'Hara, that its such a shame they're casting The Wizard of Oz! I can't see it being a big hit to be honest, when there are so many other fantastic shows on in the West End, particularly with Wicked doing so well. The popilarity of ALW's reality shows is waning as well, so I doubt it will be particularly successful. I think the focus is more likely to be on what the runners-up do and what the winner does next, rather than the Wizard of Oz itself.

I've heard ALW has the rights to TWOO but I did wonder if he's also trying to cash in on the popularity of Wicked............

Wicked to TWOO

And though you protest
Your disinterest
I know clandestinely
You're gonna grin and bear it
Your new found popularity
La la la la
You'll be popular -
Just not as quite as popular
As me!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users