19 replies to this topic

#1 Marius

Marius

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 11:45 AM

Im debating whether to see this before it closes but im not sure if its going to be worth it. I know its a long play, is it one of these plays that just go on forever and nothing really happens yet the critics still love it, or is it quite gripping?

#2 Guest_Skylight_*

Guest_Skylight_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2007 - 11:48 AM

I've been told it's worth a look and I'm going to chance it.  I guess if you want to have seen the latest Stoppard in it's original form (albeit recast) then that answers your question for you.  I wish I'd seen it with Rufus Sewell but hey that's life.  If you're debating between this and Therese then I'd say R & R from what I've heard.

#3 Marius

Marius

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 11:52 AM

QUOTE(Skylight @ Feb 20 2007, 11:48 AM) View Post
I've been told it's worth a look and I'm going to chance it tomorrow.  I guess if you want to have seen the latest Stoppard in it's original form (albeit recast) then that answers your question for you.  I wish I'd seen it with Rufus Sewell but hey that's life.  If you're debating between this and Therese then I'd say R & R from what I've heard.

Im not bothered at all about seeing it because its a new Stoppard, in fact this may be my first Stoppard play im not sure.  I wont be seeing Therese as my only option is to come up from Southampton Wednesday night which ive decided I cant justify the money on.  Ill see Rock n Roll Sunday if I do.  yes I agree would have like to have seen Rufus sewell although I really want to see Dominic in the role. Im just worried about it being so long and it dragging if its a case of all talk and no plot.

#4 Guest_Skylight_*

Guest_Skylight_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2007 - 12:00 PM

Okay so it's just me being pretentious and feeling the need to see the latest Stoppard then - taxi for Skylight.  wacko.gif

I've been told it does have a plot and isn't all talk but I can't promise you'll like it.  Stoppard varies from the utterly fantastic (Arcadia, In the Native State (radio version) ) to the unbelievably dull (The Invention of Love, parts of Coast of Utopia) for me.  It's bound to have more talking that other plays just because it's Stoppard but I've been told Dominic West is great in it so that should justify your trip even if you end up not liking the play?

#5 Guest_not Trevor_*

Guest_not Trevor_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2007 - 12:04 PM

Well it's TN so yes it is loooooooooooong. It's ok, far from the best play you will ever see but not the worse. It has really anoying set changes in during which song lyrics are projected onto a screen [yawn, yawn]

#6 Marius

Marius

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 12:12 PM

I have to say Dominic West is the main reason i want to see the play! Wish id seen him at the National last year. hmmm cant make my mind up on this one!

#7 Guest_Skylight_*

Guest_Skylight_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2007 - 12:18 PM

Well if I go I'll report back - not that that will help you decide though!

#8 Blue

Blue

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 12:47 PM

I would go and see it just to say you have. It is quite long and the first half does drag a little. But you get the odd interludes of music to spice things up. However, the second act is full of passion and confrontation and the portrayal of Cambridge is spot on.

#9 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2007 - 01:12 PM

Skylight I do agree with some of your comments but I was thrilled by Rock n Roll - I thought it was absolutely marvellous and immediately booked up to see it again when I got home.

#10 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2007 - 02:34 PM

I honestly believe that most Tom Stoppard audiences actually do sit through his clap trap 'just to say they've seen it'. I've been along to one or two just to see actors I like in them but Mr Stoppard is a frightful bore.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users