Is Rock N Roll worth seeing?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
19 replies to this topic

#11 Guest_Alexandra_*

Guest_Alexandra_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2007 - 02:57 PM

I respect your preferences, Marius, but if you don't like plays which are light on plot, big on talk and quite long, I wouldn't bother. If on the other hand you want to see an interesting and well-written play about post-WW2 Czechoslovakia, music, rebellion, and the conflict between a theoretical Marxist and a practical dissident, which does not reach the Everest of Stoppard's best but is nevertheless far wittier and more interesting than most writers can hope to aspire to, go and see it. But you know your own taste - I can't promise you'll like it (and nor have I seen it with the replacement cast).

#12 Marius

Marius

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 03:43 PM

QUOTE(Alexandra @ Feb 20 2007, 02:57 PM) View Post
I respect your preferences, Marius, but if you don't like plays which are light on plot, big on talk and quite long, I wouldn't bother. If on the other hand you want to see an interesting and well-written play about post-WW2 Czechoslovakia, music, rebellion, and the conflict between a theoretical Marxist and a practical dissident, which does not reach the Everest of Stoppard's best but is nevertheless far wittier and more interesting than most writers can hope to aspire to, go and see it. But you know your own taste - I can't promise you'll like it (and nor have I seen it with the replacement cast).

Thanks for that. I do like plays that make me think, but also that have some sort of plot. Think i will see how i feel on the day, and maybe do on impulse on Sunday!

#13 Guest_hiphopmama_*

Guest_hiphopmama_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 February 2007 - 10:24 AM

what is all this NT crap, if the guest hasn"t a valuable statement to add to the thread then P*** off to some other site..now i think that was a "valuable statement" don"t you agree!

#14 In the Know

In the Know

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • Interests:Theatre, television, films, reading. travelling, politics and football

Posted 21 February 2007 - 12:30 PM

Yeah - its meant to be amazing ! Sadly it may escape me !

#15 peggs

peggs

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 01:45 PM

I loved this play, although i haven't seen it with it's current cast. I do enjoy Stoppard in general although i'll admit that bits are over my head and i can't claim to have understood all of this play. The first half is the weeker of the 2 but but the 2nd half is just great and if this cast is anything like the orginal there are some great opportunities for fine acting. People seemed to either really like this or find it pretentious so i'd be interested to hear what you and Skylight think.

#16 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5134 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 05:18 PM

Look, it's Stoppard and at his weakest he is worth an hour or so of one's time, but RR really isn't his best. It is badly staged [ I saw it at the RC] and poorly paced with dreadful set change longeurs. The music doesn't do it for me and despite one or two fragile moments of passionate acting, it simply is not worthy of the Olivier. I have no idea why the critics and the celebs raved about it. Total mystery.
Go and judge for yourself or maybe you know already from the postings and who says what, whether to bother or not.

#17 Blue

Blue

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 06:14 PM

It seems that people either like it or not. The best advice is always to go and see it and make up your own mind.

#18 Guest_Richard Jones_*

Guest_Richard Jones_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2007 - 03:48 PM

QUOTE(Blue @ Feb 21 2007, 06:14 PM) View Post
It seems that people either like it or not. The best advice is always to go and see it and make up your own mind.

I came down from Nottingham last Sunday only to discover that Mr West had taken the afternoon off. The understudy was workmanlike at best!! Found the first half dull - improves after the interval. Overall a big disappointment. I had no empathy for any of the characters - I wonder if it would have been a different experience with either Rufus or Dominic in the lead part.

#19 coated peanuts

coated peanuts

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 09:46 PM

I neither loved nor hated the play (apart from hating the extremely loud music at scene/set changes - I sat next to a guy with a hearing aid who switched the thing off in desperation because of the constant change from normal volume to industrial strength Rock'n'Roll). I can't say that I cared about any of the characters particularly, but I think that it would be worse without West - he played well off all other characters. Judging by my recent experiences with understudies or last minute replacements I'd say that not having a well oiled cast could turn the play from good enough to quite dull.

#20 Guest_Skylight_*

Guest_Skylight_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 February 2007 - 08:33 PM

Wooooooooooooo it's like being hit over the head by the double whammy of nostalgia and zeitgeist but it was definitely worth it.  Admitedly it's not Stoppard at his best but it is Stoppard back to form after the execrable Invention of Love and the tedious and overlong Coast of Utopia, though I see the obsession with associating a knowledge of classics with intellectual depth still remains.  (Sir Tom it's tiresome; stop it.  And as someone who read both Latin and Greek I can confirm that it ain't the case.)  Some of the Eastern European chat went over my head in the first half but the direction was superb and, given that it was Nunn, just about pacy enough to get over any confusing talkie bits - and I love love loved the music.  

The cast were universally accomplished.  David Calder was outstanding, as was Peter Sullivan as Ferdinand, and it was good to see Emma Fielding back to form after the horror of Playing with Fire.  If there's another actress who can deliver Stoppard's monologues as well as her I've yet to see them.  Dominic West started out as the poor man's Rufus Sewell but came into his own during the second half.

If I have a criticism it's that the play was a little protracted.  I would have ended it after 'Don't Cry'.  The dinner party was unnecessary and added nothing to our knowledge of the characters or the issues and the tidy endings were pedestrain.  But that's a minor issue.  Overall this rocked - though I came away with the sense that it's not Stoppard who rules but Jagger.  cool.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users