• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11 replies to this topic

#1 whittlebot

whittlebot

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Interests:Theatre! Film Music (the music composed for films) Off-road cycling. Hiking. And restaurant evenings in the company of a few close friends.

Posted 09 July 2007 - 09:08 PM

As a playgoer with absolutely no interest in musicals, I like many others, am becoming increasingly concerned about the number of these shows, and that they do appear to be taking over the West End. My heartfelt thanks to all those Producers who have gambled on the Plays. I have to comment though, on the seat prices for Haymarket Productions of THE COUNTRY WIFE and THE SEA. I shall wince and with more than a little reluctance, hand over my hard-earned cash. Have you kind of rebelled by not seeing something you really wanted to, but were not prepared to pay the high ticket price? Having said all this, I am fortunate in that I have a choice of either the West End or Brighton where last Saturday, I saw an excellent production of Agatha Christie's THE UNEXPECTED GUEST, for half the price I often pay in 'town'.

#2 David

David

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 09:43 PM

QUOTE(whittlebot @ Jul 9 2007, 10:08 PM) View Post
As a playgoer with absolutely no interest in musicals, I like many others, am becoming increasingly concerned about the number of these shows, and that they do appear to be taking over the West End. My heartfelt thanks to all those Producers who have gambled on the Plays. I have to comment though, on the seat prices for Haymarket Productions of THE COUNTRY WIFE and THE SEA. I shall wince and with more than a little reluctance, hand over my hard-earned cash. Have you kind of rebelled by not seeing something you really wanted to, but were not prepared to pay the high ticket price? Having said all this, I am fortunate in that I have a choice of either the West End or Brighton where last Saturday, I saw an excellent production of Agatha Christie's THE UNEXPECTED GUEST, for half the price I often pay in 'town'.

I am very selective about what I see in London, purely because of price- a trip to the theatre (with student discount) sets me back 100 minimum and a weekend, so whilst not a 'protest' as such, I regularly don't see shows that I'd like to (indeed, most shows I'd like to see) because of the cost.

I agree though- it's good to see producers taking a chance with less 'lowest-common-denominator' plays.

Any particular reason you put certain words in bold? Makes reading your post quite distracting and fragmented!

#3 Jan Brock

Jan Brock

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2756 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 06:57 AM

Have you kind of rebelled by not seeing something you really wanted to, but were not prepared to pay the high ticket price? '.

Yes, several times, for example I declined to see the Nunn/Scofield "Heatbreak House" at the Haymarket because I consider it to be a rotten and overpriced venue. The problem with that place is if you don't pay their very top price you can't see what's happening on stage properly.

#4 wickedgrin

wickedgrin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1221 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 09:48 AM

Well I see a fair bit of theatre and I agree the cost is something which must put alot of people off especailly for plays which I think are expensive in relation to musicals. Musicals are more costly to mount than plays with bigger casts, orchestras etc and the ticket prices for plays being 45 and musicals 55 does truly reflect this. It must be alot cheaper to mount a play with one set and half a dozen actors and the prices should reflect this and more peole would go.

However, I for one rarely if ever pay full price for a seat - i could never afford it - but there are loads of offers about and I find the TKTS booth in Leicester Square excellent with great staff and have always got excellent front stalls seats for loads of shows - most recently 30 for Drowsy Chaperone - stalls 5 rows back centre!!

#5 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5140 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 06:03 PM

I don't see how it could cost you 100 with a student discount..do you come  a long way on the train? Scotland?

#6 Job

Job

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 511 posts
Posted 11 July 2007 - 09:57 PM

last Saturday, I saw an excellent production of Agatha Christie's THE UNEXPECTED GUEST, for half the price I often pay in 'town'.

What - the Bill Kenwright/Agatha Christie Company production of The Unexpected Guest? The one where the actors stand bolt upright at the front and spout Dame Agatha's fatuous script straight at the audience? The one where Simon McCorkindale's unsurprising secret is semaphored to the audience in the first ten minutes?

That one?

Give me a musical every time if that load of tosh is the best alternative out there.

Job
With the ancient is wisdom; and in length of days understanding.

#7 wds

wds

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 02:02 PM

QUOTE(Job @ Jul 11 2007, 10:57 PM) View Post
What - the Bill Kenwright/Agatha Christie Company production of The Unexpected Guest? The one where the actors stand bolt upright at the front and spout Dame Agatha's fatuous script straight at the audience? The one where Simon McCorkindale's unsurprising secret is semaphored to the audience in the first ten minutes?

That one?

Give me a musical every time if that load of tosh is the best alternative out there.

Job

Plays just are not commercial at the moment. Even Equus drifted towards the end of it's run. As much as plays are fantastic and we all love them, if it aint selling - producers and theatre owners just won't buy into them.....look at In Celebration, you would think that would be selling well but it isn't! Its a shame, but musicals are the way at the moment, and even they are having a rough time...the commercial theatre world is tough at the moment!

#8 Haz

Haz

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1264 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 03:10 PM

QUOTE(Lynette @ Jul 11 2007, 07:03 PM) View Post
I don't see how it could cost you 100 with a student discount..do you come  a long way on the train? Scotland?

I can quite believe it.. I live in Newark and we're only 1hr 20 from Kings Cross on the train and costs mount up pretty quickly.. ie. my train (with a young person's railcard) and tube costs me 25.60, it costs me 8.50 to park my car at the station, I will generally go down for a full day and therefore eat two meals out so at least 15 for food/drink, so all of a sudden, I've spent 50 before I've even bought a ticket or programme for anything.

whether or not it is clear to you,
no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should

http://curtain-up.blogspot.com/

#9 whittlebot

whittlebot

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Interests:Theatre! Film Music (the music composed for films) Off-road cycling. Hiking. And restaurant evenings in the company of a few close friends.

Posted 12 July 2007 - 07:26 PM

That one?

Job

Wrong Play I think Job, cos Simon Mc was'nt it it! and the only Play that was ruined, was THE HOLLOW with the apalling Kate O'Mara spreading her legs all over the stage

#10 whittlebot

whittlebot

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 07:28 PM

That one?

Job

you mean stuff like the trash spamalot I suppose!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users