#11 Job

Job

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 511 posts
Posted 12 July 2007 - 10:30 PM

Spamalot? Connais pas.

The Unexpected Guest you saw: if it was directed by someone called Joe Harmston, that's the production I'm talking about - whatever the cast is now. Honestly, it was the pits when I saw it earlier in its l-o-n-g tour. A perfect example of what Peter Brook meant by 'Deadly Theatre' when he wrote The Empty Space.

It's breaks my heart when Agatha Christie clogs up a good touring house at the expense of something more worthwhile. If regional audiences could be trusted with, say, Conor McPherson or Martin McDonagh instead of this kind of superannuated old claptrap, everyone would be the richer for it. Do audiences really want to see Harry "Emmerdale" Higgins in yet another tour of Who Killed Joe Bloggs?, or do they just go because that's what they know and they feel safe with it?

We'd still be eating postwar stodge unless we'd gradually been exposed to good food and learnt to appreciate it; so it could be with the theatre, if only some enterprising company would take a lead. You can't expect Tacky Tours Ltd to stop shunting their dismal fare round the ever-diminishing number of smaller regional houses when there are so many managements willing to buy in their latest production of Guilty As Charged, or whatever, but surely someone could make an effort?

Why doesn't the Arts Council make it an annual requirement for the RSC or the NT to take a prestige production on a tour of these Durbridge-infested provincial houses? That would be a start.

Job
With the ancient is wisdom; and in length of days understanding.

#12 Jan Brock

Jan Brock

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2756 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 06:49 AM

QUOTE(Job @ Jul 12 2007, 11:30 PM) View Post
The Unexpected Guest you saw: if it was directed by someone called Joe Harmston, that's the production I'm talking about - whatever the cast is now. Honestly, it was the pits when I saw it earlier in its l-o-n-g tour. A perfect example of what Peter Brook meant by 'Deadly Theatre' when he wrote The Empty Space.

I imagine another good example of Deadly Theatre will be the production of Fragments by Samuel Beckett at the Young Vic this Autumn which I will be avoiding like the plague.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users