14 replies to this topic

#11 Alexandra

Alexandra

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1780 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 11:01 AM

Incidentally here's a belated tip for the Courtyard, for anyone who's buying tickets: because of the shape, the rows at the side are much nearer the stage than the same rows at the front. e.g. row J at the side is close - row J in front of the stage is miles back. And the side has no worse a view than the front (it's a thrust, innit).

#12 Jan Brock

Jan Brock

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2756 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 12:02 PM

QUOTE(Alexandra @ Aug 14 2007, 12:01 PM) View Post
Incidentally here's a belated tip for the Courtyard, for anyone who's buying tickets: because of the shape, the rows at the side are much nearer the stage than the same rows at the front. e.g. row J at the side is close - row J in front of the stage is miles back. And the side has no worse a view than the front (it's a thrust, innit).

Except if you sit at the side you spend the whole evening gazing directly across at your fellow audience members on the opposite side as they read their programmes, drink their drinks, talk to each other, fall asleep and so on.

#13 Alexandra

Alexandra

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1780 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 12:58 PM

You could try watching the play. I dunno, it's never bothered me except once when I had that Charles and Camilla right opposite.

#14 Jan Brock

Jan Brock

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2756 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 02:06 PM

QUOTE(Alexandra @ Aug 14 2007, 01:58 PM) View Post
You could try watching the play. I dunno, it's never bothered me except once when I had that Charles and Camilla right opposite.

It as not as bad as at the Swan (because the distances are greater) especially in the early days when they used to sell the play texts instead of a normal programme. For some reason I found it uniquely infuriating to see someone sitting there following the text along with the actors and never looking at the stage once. Eventually, as it was putting the actors off also, they had to issue a request to the audiences not to do it.

#15 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5150 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 06:55 PM

The weird layout and subsequent numbering [ lettering?] of the seats is a fiendish plot to confuse us poor theatregoers. I still get confused at the Donmar and last time I was there some snotty person told me what row it was when I hadn't asked. Huh. The Swan is totally mad with one row consisting ot 2 seats in the front stalls. I don't mind looking round and seeing the people in the audience; in the Courtyard it feels quite companionable.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users