28 replies to this topic

#1 Jan Brock

Jan Brock

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2756 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 06:11 AM

A while ago didn't the Old Vic announce that their next production would be Alan Aykbourn's "Norman Conquests" directed by Matthew Warchus ? So, what's happened to it ?

#2 Alexandra

Alexandra

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1780 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 09:28 AM

Not sure, but I think they said they were doing it some time, not necessarily the first show in the next season. The next season is programmed now.

#3 JWC

JWC

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 04:15 PM

This certainly appeared on the Ayckbourn website at one point but can't see it anymore. The original Old Vic press release on which this was mentioned talks about the 2006/7 season and then (rather more vaguely) talks about other future projects among them the Norman Conquests. Perhaps Matthew Warchus has been too busy with Lord of The Rings. A pity because the trilogy deserves a first class revival though they'll have to be going some to top the 1970's cast.

#4 Boob

Boob

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 04:17 PM

Perhaps this will materialise now that the Old Vic will no longer be hosting the Mendes/Dillane productions of Hamlet and The Tempest...?

#5 Alexandra

Alexandra

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1780 posts

Posted 21 July 2007 - 11:05 AM

Which is so disappointing. Poor Dillane.

#6 Jan Brock

Jan Brock

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2756 posts

Posted 21 July 2007 - 05:05 PM

QUOTE(Alexandra @ Jul 21 2007, 12:05 PM) View Post
Which is so disappointing. Poor Dillane.

I suppose one must believe the press release in that respect. However, what I don't believe is that "Dillane is irreplaceable" - this is patently utter rubbish - it invites us to believe there is no actor in the world who could play Hamlet and Prospero, or that they couldn't cast two actors to cover the lead in one play and a supporting role in the other.

There is more to this than meets the eye - anyone care to elaborate ?

#7 Alexandra

Alexandra

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1780 posts

Posted 21 July 2007 - 07:41 PM

I don't think there is actually.

And perhaps they mean irreplaceable in Mendes's concept of the plays, which may well be true if he has developed his vision around Dillane.

#8 Jan Brock

Jan Brock

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2756 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 06:11 AM

QUOTE(Alexandra @ Jul 21 2007, 08:41 PM) View Post
I don't think there is actually.

And perhaps they mean irreplaceable in Mendes's concept of the plays, which may well be true if he has developed his vision around Dillane.

So much for "the show must go on". I can think of several cases where something similar has happened and in none of them has the entire production been cancelled.

#9 Scal

Scal

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 11:36 AM

Birmingham Rep did a fantastic Norman Conquests a couple of years or so ago.  They did all 3 of them with Saturdays showing the 3 in order.  Great rotating set too for the different spaces.  The cast were excellent and it was one of the few Jonathan Church projects that I've actually managed to enjoy.

#10 JWC

JWC

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 03:10 PM

QUOTE(Scal @ Jul 23 2007, 12:36 PM) View Post
They did all 3 of them with Saturdays showing the 3 in order.

Strictly speaking they are interlocking with no specific order to them but glad you enjoyed them

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users