- - - - -

National Theatre

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Paul_*

Guest_Paul_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2007 - 03:49 PM

Since Trevor left we have only had three main productions, both of which got great praise and won several awards. I want more!

Trev caused a bit of controversy with his mainstream programming and traditional styles of production. Is this holding back possible future projects?

I still feel the NT has a place to do musicals and I want more. Does anyone know if Cam Mack will continue to fund more shows there?

Are they really that expensive to stage there? Some Shakespeare casts are huge and the bands aren’t often that much smaller then what is needed for a musical

I am amazed at how much extra set a musical (Jerry & Caroline) there will get compared to a play. Why? I find it often isn't needed. It's almost as if people think they need to spend extra money because it's a musical

Just some thoughts

#2 Guest_Skylight_*

Guest_Skylight_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2007 - 05:13 PM

What? You've got the whole of the bloody west end as it is.

#3 Ian

Ian

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 823 posts
  • Interests:Theatre, cats and photography principally.

Posted 20 February 2007 - 07:52 PM

Two new (to the UK) shows and a revival -and you are not satisfied??

I think there is an argument that Carousel, South Pacific, My Fair Lady and Oklahoma (excellent though they were) could have been done in the commercial West End just as easily. Whereas Caroline and Jerry could not, and therefore the National was the right place for them.

I would like the National to concentrate more on new shows, especially by British authors, to encourage more new home-grown writers to take over from Lloyd Webber's aging mantle.
The engine roared, the motor hissed,
And who could see that the road would twist

#4 josh

josh

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 741 posts
  • Interests:theatre, movies, actors, acting, directing

Posted 20 February 2007 - 08:17 PM

I think there is definitely a place at the NT for staging uncommercial musicals that would not survive in the West End. Caroline, or Change is an example of an absolutely wonderful show that simply would last a week on a commercial stage. I'm so glad the NT was able to give it the magnificent run it deserved. I'd also love to see the NT supporting new British musical writing, and also importing other uncommercial works - The Light in the Piazza, for example, is a show that was just born to be in the Olivier. Imagine the golden light of Venice flooding that beautiful auditorium?!
He used to call me — Blue Roses.

#5 JulieJordan

JulieJordan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 09:58 PM

QUOTE(josh @ Feb 20 2007, 08:17 PM) View Post
The Light in the Piazza, for example, is a show that was just born to be in the Olivier. Imagine the golden light of Venice flooding that beautiful auditorium?!

You took the words out of my mouth- that show would be sublimely beautiful in the Olivier. It would be especially fabulous if Victoria Clark reprised her role as Margaret.

Selfishly I'd love for Nicholas Hytner's 'Carousel' to be done again so I could make my mind up about it.

#6 josh

josh

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 741 posts
  • Interests:theatre, movies, actors, acting, directing

Posted 20 February 2007 - 10:21 PM

QUOTE(JulieJordan @ Feb 20 2007, 09:58 PM) View Post
You took the words out of my mouth- that show would be sublimely beautiful in the Olivier. It would be especially fabulous if Victoria Clark reprised her role as Margaret.

Ohh, yes, I think I would die of happiness if Victoria Clark came over to it. She was perfection in that role. It better happen soon if we want her, otherwise she'll be too old for it! Should we start a campaign or something?  rolleyes.gif
He used to call me — Blue Roses.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users