62 replies to this topic

#11 keysersoze

keysersoze

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 12:34 PM

I agree that Jamie Parker would be good, but the Treadaways could do just fine. Claudio is supposed to be young and naive, that's what is so sweet about his love for Hero and justifies (partly) his later actions. I feel that there should be a large gap in both age and wisdom, as the play tells two very different love stories. The juxtaposition of Benedick-Beatrice and Claudio-Hero is important. Claudio should seem out of place with the soldiers; undeniably talented, but perhaps trying too hard to fit in with Don Pedro and Benedick. This would justify Don Pedro's rather patronising yet thoughtful actions in helping woo Hero, and also explain why Benedick feels so free to joke at Claudio's expense and dish out his hilarious 'wisdom'.

#12 Theatresquirrel

Theatresquirrel

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 12:54 PM

Whatever, I'm sure Hytner will cast it well. More than Claudio (who, all said and done, is pretty dull) it's who from the panoply of NT talent they might cast as Pedro, John, Dogberry and Verges that's really intriguing...

I think though we're unlikely to see Andrew Garfield in it; by the looks of things, he's moving up in the world....

http://www.apple.com/trailers/mgm/lionsforlambs/teaser1/

....good for him.

#13 Alexandra

Alexandra

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1779 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 01:32 PM

"up in the world"?????? angry.gif Theatresquirrel, you traitor!!

#14 Theatresquirrel

Theatresquirrel

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 03:52 PM

You're right. Playing the central character in MGM's biggest film of the year opposite Meryl Streep and Robert Redford is a bit of a step down for the lad.

#15 Alexandra

Alexandra

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1779 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 04:04 PM

Not a step down. Never said a step down.

#16 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5142 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 09:41 PM

Come on people, you can have a an older B and B - it is second time around for both [ 50 + might be pushing this a bit as she is supposed to be a niece/cousin etc, maybe daughter of much older sibling of Hero's dad..help me out here..] but they'll have to do a lot to convince me after the lovely RSC Cuban version. I haven't  seen ZW do anything brilliant on the stage recently, she isn't a favourite of mine. But SRB definitely is and I would turn up for the proverbial telephone directory from him. Pity he had to wait so long for this one.

Present Laughter , yes, want to see that. It's the one about the actor with all the dressing gowns, isn't it?

And please who is this hot Luke? What have I seen him do lately? I don't register names for several years..

#17 keysersoze

keysersoze

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 01:51 AM

Luke Treadaway was in the short-lived BBC drama 'The Innocence Project' and appeared with his twin Harry in 'Brothers of the Head', an independent feature film. He is currently in 'Saint Joan' at the National and will be in 'War Horse' there.  Harry is currently starring in 'Cape Wrath' on C4 and was in 'Recovery' on the BBC as David Tennant and Sarah Parish's son.
I can imagine the National casting Oliver Ford Davies as Leonato, or perhaps Stephen Moore. If they were to keep on actors from their current productions, then maybe Finbar Lynch as Don Pedro, or maybe Paterson Joseph. Leo Bill as Don John?

#18 Alexandra

Alexandra

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1779 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 06:15 AM

Totally agree Lynette..I don't think anyone suggested an older B&B weren't fine. I think it will work very well. Re ZW, did you see Electra? Wonderful. She was also great in Awake and Sing! in NY last year.

I've just seen Saint Joan and I have no idea who this Luke person was.

#19 peggs

peggs

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 10:49 AM

Alexandra, think he was the page at the beginning [and various parts after that], the one with no eggs.

#20 Jan Brock

Jan Brock

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2756 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 11:25 AM

I have said before that in reality having an "older" B&B pairing is the rule rather than the exception. The last RSC "Cuban" one had the youngest B&B I have seen for a while. When you look back at three classic productions and one other good one they all have featured actors in or approaching middle-age (ages in brackets):

Derek Jacobi (47)/Sinead Cusak(34)
Donald Sinden(53)/Judi Dench(42)
Nicholas le Prevost(45)/Harriet Walter(51)
Roger Allam(37)/Susan Fleetwood(46)

The current pairing does have the highest total age of the ones I can remember though:

Simon Russell-Beale(46)/Zoe Wannamaker(58)

It is hard to go wrong with this play but Dogberry is a key part to cast - I thought this was a weak point of the last RSC one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users