- - - - -

Your new discussion board

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
58 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Guest_Admin_*_*

Guest_Guest_Admin_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 February 2007 - 05:14 PM

As promised we have been looking for a discussion board that does all of the things everyone wants. We think we have found it. This new software functions as a discussion board but also does as whole load more. There are copious help files to help you get acquainted but I just wanted to point out a few things.

1) Registration: You can now register to protect your identity when posting in the future. You don't have to register to, post however. It is optional.

2) Ticket Exchange and Jobs: If you are offering a job or a ticket for exchange then you do have to register.

3) Galleries: You can now share your photos of whatever you like, though we hope it will be theatre related, in the new gallery section.

4) Blogs: Fancy starting a theatre blog, feel free. All you need to do is register and away you go.

5) Calendar: We have also enabled a calendar so if you are in something, recommend something or just want to tell the world about an important date, please do so using the calendar.

6) Old discussions: In the next few days we will be recovering and uploading the discussions from our old board so that you can pick up where you left off.

We hope you like the new board, please do tell us what you think of it.

David

#2 Lee W

Lee W

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 12:32 PM

Congratulations on getting the new boards up.

I am sure you will hear from a lot of people that registration should have been manditory to post and perhaps you have missed the opportunity to control the boards a little.

Cheers, Lee

#3 Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 12:37 PM

QUOTE(Lee W @ Feb 12 2007, 12:32 PM) View Post
Congratulations on getting the new boards up.

I am sure you will hear from a lot of people that registration should have been manditory to post and perhaps you have missed the opportunity to control the boards a little.

Cheers, Lee

I agree, but this is a big step in the right direction.
Looking good!

#4 musicmancjay

musicmancjay

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 12:38 PM

Great new board. Looking forward to putting it to good use and finally being able to have quality discussions.  rolleyes.gif
"Just when he should have been lying, he's telling the truth!"

#5 Matthew Winn

Matthew Winn

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2898 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 12:44 PM

QUOTE(Lee W @ Feb 12 2007, 12:32 PM) View Post

The problem with mandatory registration is that sometimes people just want to dip in to make a single contribution and they don't want to go through an entire registration process to make one comment. Given the recent activity of weekend-only trolls, perhaps a compromise would be to allow unregistered posting on weekdays only.  

I've seen some places where you're required to register just to read. So far, I've never bothered.

I'm loving the new board so far.

I have always hated eggs. I remember back when I was a sperm I tried to head-butt one. It did not end well.

#6 Peter

Peter

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 01:05 PM

I think you can see who is a member (ie registered) and who is not, which should be a big help in combating the name stealing that was becoming commonplace on the old board. I think that this balance is about right - many thanks WOS!
"Don't you DARE use 'party' as a verb in my shop!"

#7 musicmancjay

musicmancjay

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 01:08 PM

QUOTE(Matthew Winn @ Feb 12 2007, 12:44 PM) View Post
The problem with mandatory registration is that sometimes people just want to dip in to make a single contribution and they don't want to go through an entire registration process to make one comment.

There are always going to be pros and cons to registration. I, for one, prefer to have a profile, especially to this extent where you can have a profile picture, avatar, location details. It makes it a lot more personal and you can identify a trend to posters.

"Just when he should have been lying, he's telling the truth!"

#8 STU

STU

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 01:37 PM

QUOTE(musicmancjay @ Feb 12 2007, 01:08 PM) View Post
There are always going to be pros and cons to registration. I, for one, prefer to have a profile, especially to this extent where you can have a profile picture, avatar, location details. It makes it a lot more personal and you can identify a trend to posters.

Same here....and to the poster further up - it took me a minute or so to register, so its not that much of a hassle!

#9 oldlady

oldlady

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 03:27 PM

Thanks a lot

#10 Haz

Haz

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1264 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 03:31 PM

QUOTE(STU @ Feb 12 2007, 01:37 PM) View Post
Same here....and to the poster further up - it took me a minute or so to register, so its not that much of a hassle!

Yes, but you wouldn't know that til after you'd registered!! People might be put off by compulsory registration because they assume it'll be too much effort.

I like it.. so far. Still finding my way around but glad to be back!

whether or not it is clear to you,
no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should

http://curtain-up.blogspot.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users