58 replies to this topic

#1 annette

annette

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 07:43 PM

is not winning actually the better result? just wondering what people think about this, this series has been a strange one, especially with some of the ones that have already gone.

but on a positive note, part of me cant help thinking that the ones that dont win may have the better result, as they have the exprience of the show and the exposure, but without necessarily of having the stigma of "the winner of x reality show"

cant help but think of:

daniel boys who had a long run in avenue q,

rachel tucker who played meat in we will rock you in the west end and will be playing elphiba in wicked,

niamh perry playing fleck in love never dies

siobhan dillon - lead in two uk tours (cant smile without you and cabaret,) and patty in grease and is now sandy in grease in the west end

aiofa mullholand as brooke in legally blonde

sam barks - lead in the tour of cabaret, and will be joining the west end cast of les miserables playing Eponine (now would love to see her do on my own!)

seamus cullen played che in evita uk tour

and so on.

#2 mjr

mjr

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3330 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 08:21 PM

Interesting points thered.

As we know both Lee and Jodie, are away to start runs in there 2nd musicals, with Lee having done a play between Joseph and Wicked.

Will be interesting to see what Connie does after the SOM tour finishes.

I think the runners up in the shows always get so and so from x tv programme in some shows advertising or press releases, so I guess in a way there is no way escaping being part of the TV programme.

But, to any un-trained performers, not being part of the winning production means if they wish and recieve offers and places they can go and study.

#3 freckles

freckles

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 08:24 AM

If they are good enough, and prove themselves to be so in the winning role, I don't think winning is a disadvantage.

I think being accepted by the theatrical community is very important and their attitude when rehearsing etc has a lot to do with that. Connie does not somehow seem to have quite gelled with people and hasn't exactly been inundated with offers. Lee Mead seems well liked and poular with both  public & pros. Think Jodie is somewhere between the two!

But, I agree that a lot of runners up have done very, very well and potentially become more credible performers. Their programme notes will always include their reality TV history though. But talent is talent & if they have it they will succeed.

I think it is a little different for the Dorothys as they are all so young. If they don't play Dorothy, I think most are too young to do anything major despite their popularity and are more likely to continue their training before embarking on a career. Which is probably no bad thing as roles now would be limited.

#4 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 May 2010 - 08:54 AM

I think Lee Mead will have a decent enough career, Jodie just wants to be a celebrity so will probably do well popping up here and there. Connie I just dont think will last beyond Sound of Music.  These shows have helped raise profiles, but have yet to find a real 'star' (eg someone who can sell out a show on their own, and not the show they were cast for)

#5 Alexandra

Alexandra

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1779 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 08:57 AM

I though this was going to be about the election...

#6 Rain

Rain

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 765 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 09:12 AM

It's interesting. I think the other contestants have done just as well as the winner's of the show. If not better in some cases. I've noticed that almost all of the other contestants have done really well. It's a good thing. smile.gif

Out of the winner's Lee seems to be doing well, good run as Joseph, straight acting piece in a play and now Wicked- which although isn't as big a role will still raise his profile again and perhaps give him more credit aside from the reality tv winner label. I'm not sure where Connie can go next after the Sound Of Music. Not sure it was the right move to go back into it. She'll get typecast. Jodie remains to be seen, but I agree she seems to be somewhere in between Connie and Lee.

Any of the contestants will have 'from TV's....'

#7 fairycake

fairycake

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 12:57 PM

QUOTE(Guest @ May 10 2010, 09:54 AM) View Post
I think Lee Mead will have a decent enough career, Jodie just wants to be a celebrity so will probably do well popping up here and there. Connie I just dont think will last beyond Sound of Music. These shows have helped raise profiles, but have yet to find a real 'star' (eg someone who can sell out a show on their own, and not the show they were cast for)

I think Lee will have a good steady career in MT. Jodie is a bubbly woman who might succeed on TV & in MT. I'm not so sure about Connie. They're Playing Our Song wasn't a success and she returned to the SOM. She might have done well to do the same as Lee and get a good role in a well-established show.  As you say none of the previous winners can sell-out a show on their own. But that may well change in time.

#8 johartuk

johartuk

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 01:44 PM

What these shows do is give all those who get to the final 10/11/12 (or however many are in the final line-up) a chance to show off their performance skills to the public and TPTB, which has led to considerable success for a number of the contestants.

I find it odd that there seems to be an 'inverse snobbery' with regards to the winners (and not just in the TV Casting shows, but also in things like X-Factor and BGT).  While those who didn't win get (rightly) praised for their achievements, the winners are often derided as somehow being lesser talents, who only achieved their success because they won.  The fact is, anyone who enters these competitions is entering with their eyes on the prize.  They all want to win.

It's hard to compare the success of various people.  For example, Contestant A may have been in two shows and Contestant B, one show, since their forays into the world of TV Casting.  However, Contestant A might have been in two 'short runs', while Contestant B's run in their one show may have been a longer one.  So it's not a case of saying that Contestant A is more successful than Contestant B.

Also, there are other factors to take into account.  After Joseph, Lee decided to take a year out (during which he released his second album and studied acting in New York).  Then there are those who have been in touring productions.  So, it's difficult to make a straightforward comparison of career success.

#9 My Dog's Name is Sally

My Dog's Name is Sally

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 03:23 PM

I don't think it's so much about winning or not, but moreso how savy you are in using the exposure you've gotten to secure your next job and maintaining a public image you can live with.  Usually, it's the people who'be been in the business prior to the contest exposure who have the better luck with this because they already know how hard they're going to have to fight to keep their name afloat once they're on their own as it were.

#10 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 03:23 PM

QUOTE(Guest @ May 10 2010, 09:54 AM) View Post
I think Lee Mead will have a decent enough career, Jodie just wants to be a celebrity so will probably do well popping up here and there. Connie I just dont think will last beyond Sound of Music.  These shows have helped raise profiles, but have yet to find a real 'star' (eg someone who can sell out a show on their own, and not the show they were cast for)

The shows have been going for what, four years? It takes a lot longer than that to build up a reputation in theatre that will sell out shows. In fact I can't think of any theatre-based stars who can do that in the West End. I think your expectations are a little high.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users