Is Not Winning Actually The Better Result

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
58 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 May 2010 - 06:11 PM

So even though it's very early days yet and she isn't due to take on the role until next year, do people think Danielle might get stuck with the 'Dorothy tag'?

I wouldn't have minded if she'd lost because I could see her doing very well in a more comedic role. She was excellent in her duet of Popular with Lauren.

#22 Mark_E

Mark_E

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2345 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 08:18 PM

Perhaps Danielle will do the same as Jodie and go into the Ensemble of another musical for afew month to build up the stamina required for a larger role? Can definitely see it happening since she is so young.

#23 mjr

mjr

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3302 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 09:49 PM

QUOTE(Mark_E @ May 23 2010, 09:18 PM) View Post
Perhaps Danielle will do the same as Jodie and go into the Ensemble of another musical for afew month to build up the stamina required for a larger role? Can definitely see it happening since she is so young.

It will be interesting, Cam Mac did that for Jodie, but I think that was more to do him not wanting her to play the part and making sure she was prepared as possible.

Lee did not need as he was already established in the stamina department after comming out of Phantom for ADWD.

And even if they wanted to for Connie, there simply was not enough time between the end of the show and the beginning of the sound of Music. There was only 8 weeks between maria and the opening of the show, and a similar ammount for Joseph.

This is the first time there has been such a break between the live shows and the opening of the production for when ALW has been the one casting. Will be interesting if he follows Cam Mac's lead or not. Either way its a long time before rehersals start for WOZ!

#24 fairycake

fairycake

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 12:24 AM

QUOTE(mjr @ May 23 2010, 10:49 PM) View Post
It will be interesting, Cam Mac did that for Jodie, but I think that was more to do him not wanting her to play the part and making sure she was prepared as possible.

Lee did not need as he was already established in the stamina department after comming out of Phantom for ADWD.

And even if they wanted to for Connie, there simply was not enough time between the end of the show and the beginning of the sound of Music. There was only 8 weeks between maria and the opening of the show, and a similar ammount for Joseph.

This is the first time there has been such a break between the live shows and the opening of the production for when ALW has been the one casting. Will be interesting if he follows Cam Mac's lead or not. Either way its a long time before rehersals start for WOZ!

I think they were very unfair to both Connie & Lee in that they both had a short rehearsal time and were expected to do 8 shows a week. Eventually, Connie got an understudy and did less shows but Lee had to do 8. It's been said by a number of people (Michael Ball/Graham Norton)that Joseph is not a big sing but the performer still has to be there on-stage and perform 8 shows a week.

#25 Matthew Winn

Matthew Winn

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2898 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 05:09 AM

QUOTE(fairycake @ May 24 2010, 01:24 AM) View Post
I think they were very unfair to both Connie & Lee in that they both had a short rehearsal time and were expected to do 8 shows a week. Eventually, Connie got an understudy and did less shows but Lee had to do 8.

You think it's unfair that Lee Mead, as a professional actor, was expected to rehearse like other actors and work the same hours as other actors? I think it's eminently fair. Anyone who's unable to work the normal hours shouldn't be doing the job.
I have always hated eggs. I remember back when I was a sperm I tried to head-butt one. It did not end well.

#26 mjr

mjr

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3302 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 10:41 AM

QUOTE(fairycake @ May 24 2010, 01:24 AM) View Post
I think they were very unfair to both Connie & Lee in that they both had a short rehearsal time and were expected to do 8 shows a week. Eventually, Connie got an understudy and did less shows but Lee had to do 8. It's been said by a number of people (Michael Ball/Graham Norton)that Joseph is not a big sing but the performer still has to be there on-stage and perform 8 shows a week.

But 8 shows is standard! I think with Lee Mead being a proffessional, and having the experience of many shows under his belt before going into Joseph, 8 shows would have been a breeze!
Also 6-8 weeks is the standard rehersal time for a west end show.

#27 My Dog's Name is Sally

My Dog's Name is Sally

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 11:09 AM

QUOTE(mjr @ May 24 2010, 10:41 AM) View Post
But 8 shows is standard! I think with Lee Mead being a proffessional, and having the experience of many shows under his belt before going into Joseph, 8 shows would have been a breeze!
Also 6-8 weeks is the standard rehersal time for a west end show.

Lee would have been doing 8 shows with Phantom, more on the tours. So basically just a promotion and a change of work venues for Lee. ALW took a big risk starting rehearsals for Joseph while ADWD was still going on. I think Lee only had about 4 weeks rehearsal between ADWD ending and Joseph starting. It wasn't the full 8 weeks, at any rate.

Would the WOO delayed opening possibly have more to do with a RUG theatre not being available til next year?

#28 freckles

freckles

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 12:05 PM

I think its a shame for Danielle to have to wait so long before W of Oz opens and she really gets her prize.

It will be quite galling to her if the runners up get good roles while she is effectively sidelined for nearly a year.

#29 mjr

mjr

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3302 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 12:35 PM

QUOTE(My Dog @ May 24 2010, 12:09 PM) View Post
Lee would have been doing 8 shows with Phantom, more on the tours. So basically just a promotion and a change of work venues for Lee. ALW took a big risk starting rehearsals for Joseph while ADWD was still going on. I think Lee only had about 4 weeks rehearsal between ADWD ending and Joseph starting. It wasn't the full 8 weeks, at any rate.

Would the WOO delayed opening possibly have more to do with a RUG theatre not being available til next year?

The agreement with Sister act was that the show was to close in the palladuim by the end of this year or move. If  RUG wanted the use of the Palladuim before that then they would have put it into Sister Act's contract. Also, Joseph started ensemble rehersals before the show finished, it wouldn't have made a difference whether Lee or any Joseph was cast at that point. Connie got the 8 weeks between show. Lee as you say only had 4 weeks before the first preview. However there was 2 weeks of previews as well.

#30 cat123

cat123

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3354 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 01:37 PM

You only have to look at Rachel Tucker to find the answer to your question. She is playing arguably the biggest female leading role ever.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users