#41 Viceroy

Viceroy

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 793 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 08:28 AM

From the Seetickets website

"Please note that the winner is not guaranteed to play Tuesday evening performances after the press night (Tuesday 1 March 2011).

The winner will NOT perform on Monday 14 or 21 February 2011 and their holiday weeks have been confirmed as week commencing 2 May, 5 September & 12 September 2011

CASTING FOR THESE PERFORMANCES HAS YET TO BE ANNOUNCED"

#42 mjr

mjr

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3337 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 08:31 AM

QUOTE(Matthew Winn @ May 25 2010, 06:24 AM) View Post
Newspaper reports at the time suggest that there was a bit of both, and the story appears to be as follows.

Emma Williams was originally contracted to do four shows a week as the alternate. As the bookings rolled in it became clear that most of the audience were interested solely in seeing "the girl off the telly", so the alternate's performances were cut to two per week. On top of that, Miss Williams found she was being described - by Andrew Lloyd Webber himself, no less - as the understudy rather than the alternate, and Connie Fisher was saying that there was no need for an alternate at all. It seems that the combination of the breach of contract and what appears to have been constructive dismissal led Emma Williams to feel her position had become untenable, so she quit.

Basically, they'd never done a show like this before and - perhaps na´vely - they hadn't realised how popular the winner would become, so they offered Miss Williams a contract they subsequently found they didn't want to fulfil.

That is bassically what I have been tryign to say. Thankyou Mr Winn, for explaining it in a way that only takes one post and is not confusing tongue.gif

#43 fairycake

fairycake

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 09:45 AM

QUOTE(Matthew Winn @ May 25 2010, 06:24 AM) View Post
Newspaper reports at the time suggest that there was a bit of both, and the story appears to be as follows.

Emma Williams was originally contracted to do four shows a week as the alternate. As the bookings rolled in it became clear that most of the audience were interested solely in seeing "the girl off the telly", so the alternate's performances were cut to two per week. On top of that, Miss Williams found she was being described - by Andrew Lloyd Webber himself, no less - as the understudy rather than the alternate, and Connie Fisher was saying that there was no need for an alternate at all. It seems that the combination of the breach of contract and what appears to have been constructive dismissal led Emma Williams to feel her position had become untenable, so she quit.

Basically, they'd never done a show like this before and - perhaps na´vely - they hadn't realised how popular the winner would become, so they offered Miss Williams a contract they subsequently found they didn't want to fulfil.

I think that's what we've been saying.

Yes, punters wanted to see the girl off the telly. The producers hadn't  realised that and contracted Emma. Connie said she'd do 8 perfs. So, Emma quit - by mutual agreement.

#44 mjr

mjr

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3337 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 10:54 AM

QUOTE(fairycake @ May 25 2010, 10:45 AM) View Post
I think that's what we've been saying.

Yes, punters wanted to see the girl off the telly. The producers hadn't realised that and contracted Emma. Connie said she'd do 8 perfs. So, Emma quit - by mutual agreement.

Fairycake I don't want to argue with you, I apolgise if I have upset you.

#45 fairycake

fairycake

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 12:47 PM

QUOTE(mjr @ May 25 2010, 11:54 AM) View Post
Fairycake I don't want to argue with you, I apolgise if I have upset you.

mjr

Don't be daft!!! No, you haven't upset me.  I thought we were just having a good discussion. You know, I think we were probably saying much the same thing.

Take care and have a lovely day. xxx smile.gif

#46 mjr

mjr

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3337 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 12:53 PM

QUOTE(fairycake @ May 25 2010, 01:47 PM) View Post
mjr

Don't be daft!!! No, you haven't upset me. I thought we were just having a good discussion. You know, I think we were probably saying much the same thing.

Take care and have a lovely day. xxx smile.gif

Sorry lol, I just didn't want you to think I was a poster that was violent in the way they posted and couldn't listen to other people, and I do think you are right, we were bassically barking up the same tree anyway smile.gif

#47 My Dog's Name is Sally

My Dog's Name is Sally

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 04:16 PM

QUOTE(fairycake @ May 24 2010, 11:02 PM) View Post
My Dog's Name is Sally

That stigma is a problem because it can keep someone who has been having trouble breaking through and might benefit from shows where professionals are encouraged to compete from competing.

Wot?!!

laugh.gif Sorry, that sentence was a bit razzled.

What I meant to say was that an unfair stigma placed on an actual talent competition could keep people from entering the competition who would are talented, but for some reason or another haven't been able to break out of the pack.

#48 Guest_guest_*

Guest_guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2010 - 12:31 AM

QUOTE(freckles @ May 24 2010, 12:05 PM) View Post
I think its a shame for Danielle to have to wait so long before W of Oz opens and she really gets her prize.

It will be quite galling to her if the runners up get good roles while she is effectively sidelined for nearly a year.

That is a really good point. Not gutting, perhaps, but pressured. It will be hard to watch the other top five go into big roles, which they will, while still waiting for your moment to "prove yourself" as Dorothy. However, if ALW is clever, which surely he will be, he should pop Danielle in the ensemble of one of his shows, give her rigorous singing coaching and get her in shape to do 8 shows a week as Dorothy. I know the girls worked really hard on the TV show but doing that level of rehearsal/performance for 12 months with only 4/5 weeks holiday, along with all the scrutiny and press she will have to do, will be tough. So good luck to her I say.

As for successful non winners: Aoife Mulholland. That's all I'm saying. She's built up a fantastic CV full of diverse work since Maria and should be the best example for all these girls to follow.

#49 fairycake

fairycake

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 07:43 PM

QUOTE(guest @ May 26 2010, 01:31 AM) View Post
As for successful non winners: Aoife Mulholland. That's all I'm saying. She's built up a fantastic CV full of diverse work since Maria and should be the best example for all these girls to follow.

Aoife Mulholland has done brilliantly. Earlier in this thread I had a discussion with mjr re Connie Fisher. I Googled Connie and found that she had problems with the cast etc when working on TSOM. Apparently, some people she worked with didn't like her and gave her an award for the being the most unprofessional and most unpleasant newcomer.
See - http://www.thisislon...-i-wont-quit.do

I wonder if the allegations in this article about her professionalism are true and have had an effect on her career?

#50 Gabz31

Gabz31

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 08:58 PM

QUOTE(fairycake @ May 26 2010, 08:43 PM) View Post
Aoife Mulholland has done brilliantly. Earlier in this thread I had a discussion with mjr re Connie Fisher. I Googled Connie and found that she had problems with the cast etc when working on TSOM. Apparently, some people she worked with didn't like her and gave her an award for the being the most unprofessional and most unpleasant newcomer.
See - http://www.thisislon...-i-wont-quit.do

I wonder if the allegations in this article about her professionalism are true and have had an effect on her career?

Don't believe everything you read in the papers .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users