24 replies to this topic

#1 Aurora_7

Aurora_7

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 12:33 PM

Hi everyone. So we are down to the Final Four, and I predicted 2 of them correctly. (Danielle and Lauren... I thought Stephanie and Jessica would be the other two).

I don't usually watch these shows on the BBC as I always thought there were loads of talented people who went through threatre/drama school and never get the chance to be the lead in anything... why not give them the chance? However, I decided to put my prejudice away and actually watch a series this time. Perhaps because it's the Wizard of Oz, a favourite of mine. I never really cared for the Sound of Music (don't like the stage version), Joseph (where the narrator is a far better part than the title character...), and Oliver (again don't like the stage version). Perhaps the idea of finding a Dorothy, auditioning girls from 16 to 22 I was intrigued to see what they would find.

Anyway...

Danielle: I think she's got the part. She can act, sing and dance. She looks sweet and has a nice rapport with dogs. I think she could handle the stress of 8 shows a week. The only problem is her switching from chest to head voice.

Steph: She is great. Although I do feel her voice is too mature for Dorothy. That's my only criticism really.

Sophie: Is sweet, I'm shocked she's in the final four. Wales have really kept her in this. I think because she looks like a Dorothy it's helped her a lot, no knock out performances like the other 3 remaining girls. If she wins I'd be very surprised. She can sing beautifully, but I don't think she could manage 8 shows just yet.

Lauren: I love this girl. She is a star in the making. Such a powerhouse! Do I think she is Dorothy? Sadly no. I will be watching her career with great interest though!

Perhaps it would be helpful to see more footage of the girls as Dorothy, it might sway opinions.

I also wondered, having not watched this type of show before, whether the girls will sing full-length songs? I'm sick of songs that are 1.30 - 2mins.

Discuss

#2 My Dog's Name is Sally

My Dog's Name is Sally

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 01:09 PM

QUOTE(Aurora_7 @ May 11 2010, 12:33 PM) View Post
Hi everyone. So we are down to the Final Four, and I predicted 2 of them correctly. (Danielle and Lauren... I thought Stephanie and Jessica would be the other two).

I don't usually watch these shows on the BBC as I always thought there were loads of talented people who went through threatre/drama school and never get the chance to be the lead in anything... why not give them the chance?

Actually, unlike some shows, this format is giving talented people who went through theatre/drama school and maybe even acting a bit a chance, though I wish Andrew Lloyd Webber would stop being so keen on finding the younger folks.  As the audience has been voting in the older contestants consistently, you'd think he'd take the hint.

I don't think as many actors in the UK are taking advantage of the format as they seem to do when it's migrated to Europe.  They tend to get more established actor on the MT star hunt shows over there (they keep changing the name, what would you call this show format generically?)

With that said, my favorite keeps getting voted off each week.  This particular run of the show has been kind of weird because they know by now, that just by being on it, if you don't make it to Dorothy, you'll probably get another part in something else very soon.  It makes me wonder if Andrew is eliminating people he can see also playing a different role, instead of what uniqueness they could bring to Dorothy. Maybe they're looking for someone who'd be willing to play the part for longer so they can tour with it after the WE run like SOM?

That said, the four left are all in the sweet category, but still have their differences.  It would be interesting to see a red headed Dorothy, but Danielle really surprised me this week.  Both of them were really good with the dogs.

Steph seems a little stiff to me, there's still something she's hiding behind, but that can work with Dorothy, and she's got a great voice.  She could definately pull off the 8 shows.

#3 Aurora_7

Aurora_7

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 01:41 PM

QUOTE(My Dog @ May 11 2010, 02:09 PM) View Post
Actually, unlike some shows, this format is giving talented people who went through theatre/drama school and maybe even acting a bit a chance,

Having watched Over the Rainbow from the beginning I understand now that having training is not seen as a bad thing in this competition. From what I heard about Lee Mead he was actually in West End productions but never the lead and so decided to go in for the competition, fair enough.

Like another thread in this forum not winning this show can be a good thing.

As for taking the quirkyness out of Dorothy, this may be true, but remember it's the public that votes. I never particularly liked Jessica but the public seemed to respond to her quirkness. Her last performance showed quirky/funny Jessica... yet people never voted?

This show is a show to expose your talent, so I'm positive that many girls will be successful.

#4 My Dog's Name is Sally

My Dog's Name is Sally

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 03:58 PM

QUOTE(Aurora_7 @ May 11 2010, 01:41 PM) View Post
As for taking the quirkyness out of Dorothy, this may be true, but remember it's the public that votes. I never particularly liked Jessica but the public seemed to respond to her quirkness. Her last performance showed quirky/funny Jessica... yet people never voted?

I wasn't too keen on Jessica at first, but there was somethign Liza Minelle-ish about her when she was being more comedic, but was still her own, that kind of grew on me.  I thought Sheila Hancock made a good point, though, that you have to be careful to keep the distinction between the quirky being something you can pull out when you need it verse something you're known for doing and expected to do every performance.  The industry likes to put people in boxes and keep them there.

I don't think any of the remaining girls would get labled as sweet after the win, though, which is a good thing.

#5 Guest_A Guest_*

Guest_A Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 May 2010 - 08:27 PM

As an  "Angel" who has in the past invested money in shows, I  would like to add that if Lauren was to win the part, I may feel inclined to invest.

#6 wickedgrin

wickedgrin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1230 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 09:09 AM

Having predicted the winners very early on in the previous series Connie, Lee and Jodie I went on record on here after the first live show with my prediction that Danielle would win this series.

Now we are down to the "final four" barring disaster she will win this.  Although the others especially Lauren and Steph are very talented they are clearly not "right" for Dorothy but will have very succesful careers doing other things thanks to this exposure. Both Lauren and Steph seem too mature for the role. I dont think Sophie is ready for 8 (6?) shows a week.

It is a worry though that Danielle has been in the sing off as no previous winner ever was I dont think - but I might be wrong?

The problem Danielle has with chest and head voice can be sorted with some training but Dorothy is not a big sing anyway. Her look, acting, dog handling and likeability are more important.

I think Jessica will have a future too but in more quirky roles than Dorothy such as Sweet Charity or Funny Girl.

#7 ldntheatregoer

ldntheatregoer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 09:50 AM

You're right that no previous winner has been in the bottom 2, whereas this year the winner certainly will have been! For that reason I thought of Jessica as much more of a contender than she turned out to be until last week. I think Danielle has it in the bag at this stage but this competition has been much less predictable than any of the previous years!

#8 Guest_Guest_lostandbewildered_*_*

Guest_Guest_lostandbewildered_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 May 2010 - 09:50 AM

QUOTE(Aurora_7 @ May 11 2010, 12:33 PM) View Post

I don't usually watch these shows on the BBC as I always thought there were loads of talented people who went through threatre/drama school and never get the chance to be the lead in anything... why not give them the chance? However, I decided to put my prejudice away and actually watch a series this time. Perhaps because it's the Wizard of Oz, a favourite of mine. I never really cared for the Sound of Music (don't like the stage version), Joseph (where the narrator is a far better part than the title character...), and Oliver (again don't like the stage version). Perhaps the idea of finding a Dorothy, auditioning girls from 16 to 22 I was intrigued to see what they would find.

Anyway...

Danielle: I think she's got the part. She can act, sing and dance. She looks sweet and has a nice rapport with dogs. I think she could handle the stress of 8 shows a week. The only problem is her switching from chest to head voice.

Steph: She is great. Although I do feel her voice is too mature for Dorothy. That's my only criticism really.

Sophie: Is sweet, I'm shocked she's in the final four. Wales have really kept her in this. I think because she looks like a Dorothy it's helped her a lot, no knock out performances like the other 3 remaining girls. If she wins I'd be very surprised. She can sing beautifully, but I don't think she could manage 8 shows just yet.

Lauren: I love this girl. She is a star in the making. Such a powerhouse! Do I think she is Dorothy? Sadly no. I will be watching her career with great interest though!
Perhaps it would be helpful to see more footage of the girls as Dorothy, it might sway opinions.

I also wondered, having not watched this type of show before, whether the girls will sing full-length songs? I'm sick of songs that are 1.30 - 2mins.
Discuss
I absolutely totally agree with all your comments. All the remaining girls have particular redeeming features  but as you say it will be the one who best resembles the character of Dorothy.   All the others are I am sure of big breaks into the professional world after this contest.  

#9 josh

josh

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 741 posts
  • Interests:theatre, movies, actors, acting, directing

Posted 12 May 2010 - 03:40 PM

It's so bizarre that Sophie is still in - she has not given one good performance.   She was very lucky her sing-off was with Emilie - if it had been with anyone else she'd have gone.

Stephanie should still be in the competition.
He used to call me Blue Roses.

#10 Aurora_7

Aurora_7

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 03:58 PM

Thanks for all the replies folks.

QUOTE(My Dog @ May 11 2010, 04:58 PM) View Post
I wasn't too keen on Jessica at first, but there was somethign Liza Minelle-ish about her when she was being more comedic, but was still her own, that kind of grew on me.  I thought Sheila Hancock made a good point, though, that you have to be careful to keep the distinction between the quirky being something you can pull out when you need it verse something you're known for doing and expected to do every performance.  The industry likes to put people in boxes and keep them there.

I don't think any of the remaining girls would get labled as sweet after the win, though, which is a good thing.

Well she did express her love for Caberet and Liza Minelle at some point didn't she? I felt in the right context it works, however she used comedic faces and dancing in almost everything... and most of the time it looked awkward. I have no doubt that Jessica will learn her trade better and will have a long career in musical theatre.

QUOTE(wickedgrin @ May 12 2010, 10:09 AM) View Post
Now we are down to the "final four" barring disaster she will win this.  Although the others especially Lauren and Steph are very talented they are clearly not "right" for Dorothy but will have very succesful careers doing other things thanks to this exposure. Both Lauren and Steph seem too mature for the role. I dont think Sophie is ready for 8 (6?) shows a week.

It is a worry though that Danielle has been in the sing off as no previous winner ever was I dont think - but I might be wrong?

The problem Danielle has with chest and head voice can be sorted with some training but Dorothy is not a big sing anyway. Her look, acting, dog handling and likeability are more important.

I think Jessica will have a future too but in more quirky roles than Dorothy such as Sweet Charity or Funny Girl.

I agree with what you say about Lauren, Steph and Sophie. Danielle, if she wins, would be the only winner to be in the bottom 2... I think this says more about the audience than the girls themselves. They based their opinion on songs week to week, instead of looking at the possible final picture. If they had done this Stephanie definitely would've still been in the show. I have a recording of Stephanie singing Mr. Bojangles... note perfect, it's wonderful.

QUOTE(josh @ May 12 2010, 04:40 PM) View Post
It's so bizarre that Sophie is still in - she has not given one good performance.   She was very lucky her sing-off was with Emilie - if it had been with anyone else she'd have gone.
Stephanie should still be in the competition.

I've commented to many people, outside this forum, that Sophie is the only girl left not to have a flawless showstopping performance. It seems that the public are easily swayed by looks. Now, I'm not denying her talent, she certainly has talent... she's just not consistant. She was lucky to be in the bottom two with Emilie yes. Ugh, don't get me started on Emilie!

Stephanie was brilliant. Such fun, I always thought she looked and sounded like a modern day Judy Garland... hence why I originally thought she'd be in the end stages of the competition. I read an interview with Stephanie on digitalspy where she said she was looking forward to musical theatre week so she could've sang Out Tonight from Rent. How much I'd would've LOVED to see that!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users