10 replies to this topic

#1 mjr

mjr

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3304 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 02:23 PM

Tonight at 10.35 BBC 1 talking about over the rainbow amongst other things.

#2 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3752 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 07:21 AM

Very funny programme. He says he's gonna write 4 more songs, but I wonder whether they're going to be with Tim Rice or Glenn Slater, as Tim mentioned something about it of Michael Ball's Radio 2 show.  The other thing ALW said was that he's going to have no involvement with Aspects at the Menier.

#3 mjr

mjr

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3304 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 10:39 AM

QUOTE(Pharaoh @ May 19 2010, 08:21 AM) View Post
Very funny programme. He says he's gonna write 4 more songs, but I wonder whether they're going to be with Tim Rice or Glenn Slater, as Tim mentioned something about it of Michael Ball's Radio 2 show. The other thing ALW said was that he's going to have no involvement with Aspects at the Menier.

Originally it was going to be Glenn Slater, but I wonder after the LND reviews he will ditch him for someone else? Wouldnt imagine ALW would want his new songs to be the weak point in his new production.

#4 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3752 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 04:16 PM

Glenn Slater's Sister Act lyrics are fantastic, and very whitty. Some of the LND ones a very good too, but some are rather cringing. I wonder how similar the set will be with Wicked's - thinks like Glinda's bubble, Dorothy's house and the Emerald City appear in both shows, as do Elphie's and Glinda's costumes.

#5 My Dog's Name is Sally

My Dog's Name is Sally

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 05:26 PM

QUOTE(Pharaoh @ May 19 2010, 04:16 PM) View Post
I wonder how simialr the set will be with Wicked's - thinks like Glinda's bubble, Dorothy's house and the Emerald City appear in both shows, as do Elphie's and Glinda's costumes.

It will be interesting to see if they go very close or very different to the Wicked set.

I'm planning to do both these shows in one day once it opens, see one at a matinee, then the other in the evening. It's too bad you can't see act one of Wicked, then see whole of The Wizard of Oz, then see act two of Wicked back to back. That would be fun.

#6 mjr

mjr

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3304 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 06:24 PM

QUOTE(Pharaoh @ May 19 2010, 05:16 PM) View Post
Glenn Slater's Sister Act lyrics are fantastic, and very whitty. Some of the LND ones a very good too, but some are rather cringing. I wonder how similar the set will be with Wicked's - thinks like Glinda's bubble, Dorothy's house and the Emerald City appear in both shows, as do Elphie's and Glinda's costumes.

I think that there will be a similar layout. ALW said the design would include turning the audotoruim of the theatre into the emerald city, by which I think he means huge Procenuim arch similar to that of wicked. I don't think the WOZ will use a bubble, but I can see Glinda's costume being similar.

I don';t think there will be much similar at all in the way of designs between the two shows.

#7 CaityGlinda

CaityGlinda

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 726 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 09:17 PM

I think the costumes will be similar to the film, such as Glinda's pink dress and the WWOTW's plain black costume. I can't see them using idea's from Wicked for the costumes of these characters. It will be interesting to see what they do with the costumes for the Emerald City and for the Wizard etc though. If the set and spectacle is any where near the standard of Love Never Dies, I am very much looking forward to seeing it!
If they start calling the WWOTW, Elphaba in this I will die! A local amateur production did that recently and it didn't work at all!

Also, people keep mentioning that Glinda doesn't sing at all, when I'm sure she sings a little bit at the beginning.
[West End] Wicked x7 . The Phantom Of The Opera x4 . Les Miserables x4 . Oliver! x3 .The Lion King x2 . We Will Rock You x2 . Sister Act x2 . Blood Brothers x2 . Hair x2 . War Horse x2 . Love Never Dies . Jersey Boys . Avenue Q . Hairspray . The 39 Steps . Legally Blonde . Mamma Mia! . Deathtrap . The Wizard of Oz . Ghost the Musical . Billy Elliot . Singin' In The Rain . Top Hat . Sweeney Todd . Matilda . Loserville .
[Broadway]  Next to Normal . Wicked . Anything Goes . End of the Rainbow .
[UK Tour]  West Side Story (Salford) . Joseph (Sheffield) . Oklahoma! (Sheffield) . Blood Brothers (Sheffield) . Avenue Q (Sheffield) . Jekyll and Hyde (Sheffield) . Tell Me On A Sunday (Sheffield) . Journey's End (Sheffield) . The Phantom Of The Opera (Leeds) .
[Regional] Hamlet (Sheffield Crucible) . Othello (Sheffield Crucible) . Company (Sheffield Crucible) . My Fair Lady (Sheffield Crucible) . Oliver (Sheffield Crucible)

#8 mjr

mjr

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3304 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 09:41 PM

I believe this is a very re-worked version for the stage.

The ending is stil to be decided between the book and the film endings, so will be interesting to see which way he goes.

Also, Glinda is one of the charactors that ALW is wanting to write a song for.

#9 CaityGlinda

CaityGlinda

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 726 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 09:59 PM

QUOTE(mjr @ May 19 2010, 10:41 PM) View Post
Also, Glinda is one of the charactors that ALW is wanting to write a song for.

Which is nice as she doesn't have much of a singing role, but I'm not sure her part is big enough to require a full song to herself. Maybe a duet between her and Dorothy when she's leaving Oz? I think the singing part she has in the film is sufficient for the size of the role. I think a lot of people are just confusing how big her part is in Wicked to how big it is in WOO. (Big as in stage time, not importance).
[West End] Wicked x7 . The Phantom Of The Opera x4 . Les Miserables x4 . Oliver! x3 .The Lion King x2 . We Will Rock You x2 . Sister Act x2 . Blood Brothers x2 . Hair x2 . War Horse x2 . Love Never Dies . Jersey Boys . Avenue Q . Hairspray . The 39 Steps . Legally Blonde . Mamma Mia! . Deathtrap . The Wizard of Oz . Ghost the Musical . Billy Elliot . Singin' In The Rain . Top Hat . Sweeney Todd . Matilda . Loserville .
[Broadway]  Next to Normal . Wicked . Anything Goes . End of the Rainbow .
[UK Tour]  West Side Story (Salford) . Joseph (Sheffield) . Oklahoma! (Sheffield) . Blood Brothers (Sheffield) . Avenue Q (Sheffield) . Jekyll and Hyde (Sheffield) . Tell Me On A Sunday (Sheffield) . Journey's End (Sheffield) . The Phantom Of The Opera (Leeds) .
[Regional] Hamlet (Sheffield Crucible) . Othello (Sheffield Crucible) . Company (Sheffield Crucible) . My Fair Lady (Sheffield Crucible) . Oliver (Sheffield Crucible)

#10 mjr

mjr

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3304 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 10:06 PM

QUOTE(CaityGlinda @ May 19 2010, 10:59 PM) View Post
Which is nice as she doesn't have much of a singing role, but I'm not sure her part is big enough to require a full song to herself. Maybe a duet between her and Dorothy when she's leaving Oz? I think the singing part she has in the film is sufficient for the size of the role. I think a lot of people are just confusing how big her part is in Wicked to how big it is in WOO. (Big as in stage time, not importance).

I do see your point, but at this stage I think we are all still unsure as how similar the stage show is going to be between the film. She could have more stage time than film time, or perhaps one of her speaking sections could be turned into a song or something? who know, will be interesting to see if the style ALW will write in, will fit with the original score.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users