My Equus review

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1 reply to this topic

#1 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2007 - 06:58 PM

The play opens quietly with Martin Dysart (Richard Griffiths') character thinking out loud at the back-drop of Alan Strang (Daniel Radcliffe) standing, embracing a horse (fantastic costume there, by the way. The horses are played by ballet dancers in masks made of crome wires - almost sceletal in structure. Fantastic stuff. And they wear hoof-shoes of a similar material.)

The stage is very minimalistic, which I really like in modern theater, but it demands a lot of the actors with few things to play against and I have to say that all of them did it amazing with it. It takes presence and save one (Jenny Agutter who played a Magistrate, Hester Saloman) they had it. Richard Griffiths really does take the cake. Ultimately, the play is about his character and his journey through understanding of things like 'normal', 'passion' and 'worship'. His speech at the end got me right in the heart it was so true. Alan's journey is different and a very tragic one at that. A lost character. As for Radcliffe's performance, nothing anyone has seen in the HP films could ever prepare us for this. I honestly forgot who I was looking at because this wasn't Daniel Radcliffe, this was Alan Strang.

There are several scenes I'd like to point out. The tenderness between Alan and the horses is one. Another is a nightmare shortly after he arrives at the institution which is amazing. In the end, the climatic scene where Alan enacts what he did the night of his crime is utterly stunning, it grips you by the heart and squeezes.

#2 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2007 - 10:15 PM

NT

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users