18 replies to this topic

#11 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 01:12 PM

Surely the reality is that people who want to see a Tennessee Williams play might well have waited to see The Rose Tattoo for half the price?  Not criticising the Glass Menagerie but it doesn't have any major selling points over the NT play and not everyone can afford WE prices.

#12 josh

josh

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 741 posts
  • Interests:theatre, movies, actors, acting, directing

Posted 25 March 2007 - 01:20 AM

QUOTE(armadillo @ Mar 24 2007, 01:12 PM) View Post
Surely the reality is that people who want to see a Tennessee Williams play might well have waited to see The Rose Tattoo for half the price?  Not criticising the Glass Menagerie but it doesn't have any major selling points over the NT play and not everyone can afford WE prices.

Yeah, you're right, that's what I was thinking. You can get a very good seat for 10 for Rose Tattoo but have to pay over 40 for a good seat for The Glass Menagerie. It's just unfortunate they're so close together I guess.
He used to call me Blue Roses.

#13 sanderling

sanderling

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 03:05 PM

QUOTE(armadillo @ Mar 24 2007, 01:12 PM) View Post

Maybe.

But see thread on Rose Tattoo. Sounds as if it's only worth half the price.

#14 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 06:21 PM

Perhaps (I'm not much of a TW fan) but it's still more or less sold out before the critics have seen it.

#15 MaxCady

MaxCady

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 03:32 PM

If you are unemployed The Apollo will do a a day ticket priced at 19. But that is down to ticket availability

#16 Job

Job

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 511 posts
Posted 03 April 2007 - 03:37 PM

The Glass Menagerie is on lastminute.com at 10 for best available seats. Travelex prices. Got mine yesterday.

Job
With the ancient is wisdom; and in length of days understanding.

#17 Job

Job

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 511 posts
Posted 12 April 2007 - 10:33 AM

Caught it at last (on my 10 ticket), and I have to agree with all the praise. This is so good it ought to be the toast of the town. Part of the problem's got to be poor advance publicity and a poster that trades on the un-box-office name of Jessica Lange as though it's ever going to put bums on seats. She's a fine actress, but a pull-'em-in star? I think not. The poster's the only wrong-headed thing about this production: it betrays Tennessee Williams (they do all but splash it with 'Jessica "Tootsie" Lange', la 'Frazer "Emmerdale" Hines' of naff regional tours) and it doesn't have a hope of drawing in any punters who aren't already familiar with the play.

Amanda Hale as Laura was magnificent. The best new talent I've seen since Kelly Reilly in Three Sisters. In fact all four actors were class acts, although their voices did not carry well across the Apollo. I was only in Row M, and my hearing is 20/20ish, but I strained to catch the dialogue at times, and I shouldn't have had to do that. (This show feels as though it directed for a smaller space than a prosc arch west end house; I'd love to have seen it at the Donmar.) After the interval I moved forward a few rows and matters improved a tad, but it still wasn't perfect - and for such a long, wordy show this was a drawback. But everything else was outstanding, and Rupert Goold caught the dream-like quality of the play better than any other version I've seen. Bravo.

Job
With the ancient is wisdom; and in length of days understanding.

#18 wickedgrin

wickedgrin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 05:53 AM

Haven't seen this yet but very much hope to. The play is usually on TKTS at around 25.

#19 josh

josh

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 741 posts
  • Interests:theatre, movies, actors, acting, directing

Posted 19 April 2007 - 10:53 AM

I went to see this again last night - great seats only 15 from ticketmaster!
It is just such a beautiful production, and Amanda Hale gives such a heartbreaking performance.
I also thought Jessica Lange was better this time than the first time I saw her.
I really urge anyone who hasn't seen it to see it, there are a bunch of offers and as wickedgrin says tkts!
He used to call me Blue Roses.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users