• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 DavidB

DavidB

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 07:51 AM

Louise Dearman has many fans on this site, dating back at least as far as her memorable performance on the Jekkyl & Hyde tour. She is currently appearing in Edinburgh in Debbie Does Dallas which has picked up some favourable reviews, quite a surprise given the subject. Judging by the picture on the Evening Standard's website Louise has been working out and she is unrecognisable from the rather dumpy figure some will remember. As that was felt to be one reason why such a talented performer was usually cast in supporting roles rather than as a leading lady perhaps now West End producers will finally agree that Louise deserves lead status in a major show.

#2 Matthew Winn

Matthew Winn

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2898 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 09:36 AM

QUOTE(DavidB @ Aug 15 2007, 08:51 AM) View Post
Judging by the picture on the Evening Standard's website Louise has been working out and she is unrecognisable from the rather dumpy figure some will remember. As that was felt to be one reason why such a talented performer was usually cast in supporting roles rather than as a leading lady perhaps now West End producers will finally agree that Louise deserves lead status in a major show.

Felt by whom? I can think of several people I've seen who have had leading roles with no consideration given to the fact that they're not exactly what you'd call as slender as a wand. Unless a role specifically calls for an emaciated look I can't imagine any competent director being all that bothered. I certainly don't remember ever looking at someone on stage and thinking "she could do with losing a bit of weight". (Last year I did, however, get quite concerned at someone's lack of weight and more visible ribs than is usually considered healthy.)

Very few people go to the theatre because they lust after the performers. Those that do usually sit in boxes and leave damp spots on the carpeting.
I have always hated eggs. I remember back when I was a sperm I tried to head-butt one. It did not end well.

#3 hitster

hitster

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 02:52 PM

Good to see that Louise is getting a lead role and she does look as if she has toned down and seems to look taller in the photo. But I cannot see how someone's shape can stop them getting roles, Louise was at best curvy but don't forget one of her previous roles was Jan in Grease where she may well have been padded and in Hyde she wore Victorian clothes which would have made her look larger. She's never going to be a tall leggy performer like Summer Strallen, Hannah Waddingham or a very thin performer like some dancers but her build would and should never stop her getting a role which does not ask for a specific build age. Lets consider Footloose on one tour Ariel was played by Rachel Wooding who is much more a similar ht and build to Summer and Hannah then on the next tour Lorna Want played her who is a pretty similar build to Louise.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users