Ed Fringe 2010

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
27 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_SpiltMilkTheatre_*

Guest_SpiltMilkTheatre_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 August 2010 - 01:25 AM

QUOTE(BkDrftr @ Jun 21 2010, 09:21 AM) View Post
Just booked for Daniel Kitson's new show at the Traverse. Playing at 10am - I love the all-through-the-day nature of the Fringe. Will book for loads more but am still ploughing through the brochure, putting little tabs on various pages. I told myself I'd try to spread things a bit more this year, after doing 26 plays and 2 comedy shows in 2008, but I'm not sure how successful I'll be.

Hey!
Come and see our wicked production of Dylan Thomas' Under Milk Wood. We're on at the space @ symposium hall from the 11th-16th at 22:00! Perfectjust before a night out!

#22 nushkafoa

nushkafoa

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 04:38 PM

Hey - a message from Edinburgh, having been here almost a week now smile.gif Wit Tank is apparently really good if you like comedy. Went to see Showstoppers last night, which was just incredible. It's an improvised musical by some unbelievably talented performers. Highly recommended.
And finally a shameless plug for our own show: Wait Until Dark by Frederick Knott, it's a classic mystery, perfect if you like a traditional on-the-edge-of your seat thriller. 4 stars from Hairline, have a look at the website for more information if you're interested  smile.gif  www.waituntildarkfringe.com

#23 Haz23

Haz23

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 10:19 AM

I'm going to Edinburgh next week for the last weekend of the Fringe. Have booked a variety of things but the ones I'm really looking forward to are Hamlet! The Musical and Five Guys Named Moe. Should be a good weekend smile.gif
Broadway: Avenue Q; Newsies; The Phantom of the Opera.

London's West End: Wicked x3; War Horse; The Phantom of the Opera; Jersey Boys x3; Sister Act; Lend Me A Tenor; Betty Blue Eyes; Legally Blonde; Les Miserables x2; A Chorus Line; The Book of Mormon; The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time.

UK Tour: Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat; Annie; Blood Brothers x2; We Will Rock You; Sister Act; South Pacific; Chicago; Starlight Express; Hairspray; Priscilla Queen of the Desert; Cats; Carnaby Street; Seven Brides for Seven Brothers; Ghost; Singin' in the Rain x2; Stomp.

#24 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 August 2010 - 11:43 AM

I was at the Fringe earlier this week and have three shows that were highlights of my stay for me.

Fresher The Musical was brilliantly funny and the cast are just wonderful. A group of very talented young musical theatre performers who deserve all the great reviews they've been getting.

I took a punt on a show called Smiler at the Gilded Balloon and am so glad I did. Written and performed by Richard Fry it was incredibly funny, moving and totally life-affirming. Richard really takes you with him on his journey and gets you by the heart strings from the second he opens his mouth. Really powerful performance. I'm still thinking about it now and I saw it on Thursday. Just beautiful and a real hidden gem of the Fringe.

No Child... at Assembly @ George Street was incredible, I can see why it's won so many awards in the States. I thought it was very well written, the direction was wonderful and the performance was just mind blowing. Nilaja Sun is a seriously talented lady. The whole audience were on their feet the second the lights started fading at the end of the performance and the applause just kept going. Incredible.

#25 John-In-Dublin

John-In-Dublin

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 07:29 PM

Have just been in Edinburgh a few days.  My strongest recommendation would probably be Stitching in CSoco at 2155 - link here - http://www.edfringe.com/whats-on/theatre/stitching.  I am quite a big fan of Neilson - he's one of those playwrights I will always go and see - but I was a bit worried as I knew nothing about this company, and I had seen the original production in the Traverse years ago.  However they were v good, as was the play - strange, dark, intense, shocking, but funny at times.  [It didn't hurt that the actress, though maybe a bit young for the role, was vv easy on the eye.]

Haven't seen any bad plays - saw

- Up'n'Under by John Godber - again I have always liked his plays and this is by Hull Truck & directed by JG.  Abby Titmuss is the female lead and she is fine - I think the best I can say is, if you were a foreigner and had never heard of her you would just assume she was part of the company

- Singin' I'm no' a Billy He's A Tim - a Celtic & Rangers fan are stuck in a jail cell - mostly went as the time and location were handy and was a bit wary - it sounded a bit gimicky - but it was vg and v well done - it's a comedy but has a lot to say about sectarianism in Scotland

- Speechless in the Traverse - based on the case of the 'Silent Twins', which I must read up on when I get a chance - v intense and well acted.

[Hope this entry comes out OK as I think I have only written here c once before.]  

#26 Guest_Guest_j656921_*_*

Guest_Guest_j656921_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 August 2010 - 05:58 PM

"Haven't seen any bad plays"

Famous last words

"Imperial Fizz" in the Assembly Rooms.  It got some good reviews and it was convenient.  Maybe I was a bit tired, but I found it v poor.  

As one of the good reviews said, "...seemingly light-hearted marital comedy in which a constantly sozzled couple bicker their way through glass after glass of alcoholic concoctions. Issy van Randwyck and David Calvitto deserve an endurance medal for getting their mouths around such lightning fast feats of verbal dexterity, every line hewn from the vastness of the English language with a scalpel’s precision."

Some of the repartee was witty, but a lot was ordinary or groan-inducing.  People I didn't like or care about talking incessantly about themselves.  I feel like I'm the one who deserves the endurance medal...

#27 Guest_Jimbo_*

Guest_Jimbo_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 August 2010 - 12:38 PM

If I could make one recommendation, it would be that everyone avoids seeing the play The Gay Geese unless hackneyed, clichéd, poorly-acted tosh is your bag.

Also really disliked Homo Asbo.

LOVED Fresher, Spring Awakening, a play called Reykjavik and Frisky & Mannish's show is fantastic.

#28 Haz23

Haz23

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 05:25 PM

I saw loads of things;

LOVED - Spring Awakening; Five Guys Named Moe; Hamlet! The Musical; Fresher.

LIKED - The History Boys; Closest to the Moon; West End Glee Club; Plague! The Musical.

DIDN'T LIKE - A Midsummer Night's Dream; Fame.

Also saw Frances Ruffelle's cabaret which was just fabulous! tongue.gif
Broadway: Avenue Q; Newsies; The Phantom of the Opera.

London's West End: Wicked x3; War Horse; The Phantom of the Opera; Jersey Boys x3; Sister Act; Lend Me A Tenor; Betty Blue Eyes; Legally Blonde; Les Miserables x2; A Chorus Line; The Book of Mormon; The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time.

UK Tour: Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat; Annie; Blood Brothers x2; We Will Rock You; Sister Act; South Pacific; Chicago; Starlight Express; Hairspray; Priscilla Queen of the Desert; Cats; Carnaby Street; Seven Brides for Seven Brothers; Ghost; Singin' in the Rain x2; Stomp.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users