Question About Two-parters (nicholas Nickleby)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14 replies to this topic

#1 Bad Idea Bear

Bad Idea Bear

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 03:25 PM

Nicholas Nickleby opens in autumn as a two-parter.  What other plays have appeared as two parts?  I can think of the following recently:

Henry IV (NT)
His Dark Materials (NT)
The Canterbury Tales

Any others?

#2 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5134 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 09:18 PM

Is this a new version or the one the RSC did in the eighties? And where is it on?

#3 keysersoze

keysersoze

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 10:35 PM

QUOTE(Lynette @ Aug 21 2007, 10:18 PM) View Post
Is this a new version or the one the RSC did in the eighties? And where is it on?

It is a David Edgar re-write of his 80s version, produced last year at Chichester and being revived there an for an international tour, which includes a Christmas time run at the Gielgud after the Chichester production of Macbeth. It tours across the UK and continues to Canada in the new year.

#4 gazzaw13

gazzaw13

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 07:30 AM

Can't wait for this.  I remember the 80s version on TV with Roger Rees and David Threlfall - stunning.  The Chichester production won stellar reviews and many of the cast have signed on for the London run.  Hope it sells well.

#5 achilles

achilles

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 12:25 PM

QUOTE(Bad Idea Bear @ Aug 21 2007, 04:25 PM) View Post
Nicholas Nickleby opens in autumn as a two-parter.  What other plays have appeared as two parts?  I can think of the following recently:

Henry IV (NT)
His Dark Materials (NT)
The Canterbury Tales

Any others?

The Norman Conquests, Coast of Utopia, House/Garden, numerous Greeks such as the Orestia, The Mysteries, The Thebans, Oedipus..........

does anyone know where Nickleby is touring in the UK...anywhere near Manchester, The Lowry perhaps. The 85 RSC version had enthusiastic audiences when it came to Manchester,but tiny audiences. I saw it at every marathon

#6 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5134 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 09:39 PM

Norman C and C of U, 3 parters, no? Same idea of course.

#7 Job

Job

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 511 posts
Posted 23 August 2007 - 08:11 AM

Ayckbourn's Sisterly Feelings has a pair of alternative central acts framed by two unchanging outer acts. The action is decided (either for real or by pre-designation) on the toss of a coin at the end of Act One.

So that's a one-and-a-half-parter, I suppose.

Job

P.S. Three- four- five-... Intimate Exchanges anyone?
With the ancient is wisdom; and in length of days understanding.

#8 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 10:19 AM

The Oresteia is another 3-parter. As is the Mysteries (at least, the Tony Harrison version is). Surprised nobody has mentioned Angels in  America as an actual two-parter recently performed in London.

BTW the Thebans and the Oedipus cycle are the same thing! Oedipus Rex /Oedipus at Colonus / Antigone though they weren't written for the same festival so they aren't actually a trilogy in the way the Oresteia is. More like Henry VI and Richard III which often get done together.

#9 Flowers

Flowers

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 02:27 PM

Am I correst in saying Aggels in America, and The RSC have done a numbver of multi part productions. The Plantagenets, etc.
Must admit though Tha NN was one amazing production at Stratford. Sat down and I thought 15 minutes later the curtain came down. I thought no wonder this is going to take 8 hours, but in fact what I thought was 15 minutes was 2 hours. Magical. ohmy.gif

#10 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 02:56 PM

Just remembered another 2 parter - the Propeller Rose Rage which was, in effect, the Plantagenets cut from 3 to 2 plays.

I wonder how they do box-office wise. Obviously there have been some recent successes like HDM and Coast of Utopia (though I definitely remember complaints because there were no matinees of HDM Part 2 even though it was a children's show) but a recent Ayckbourn one didn't do so well in the WE and perfomances of part 2 were cancelled. It must be a disaster if they don't sell and you have, in effect, two flops instead of one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users