• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 Sam Nash

Sam Nash

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 06:35 PM

I have a friend coming over from the States in October and has asked me to advise him on shows to see this Autumn.  He is more interested in straight plays rather than musicals or entertainment shows, what do people suggest I can recomend to him?

#2 Theatresquirrel

Theatresquirrel

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 07:39 PM

It looks to me like the juiciest season ever, kicking off with Stockard Channing in Awake & Sing at the Almeida, All About My Mother and its mouthwatering cast at the Old Vic, Present Laughter with the consummate Alex Jennings at the National, plus a surely surefire cert with Much Ado there in December, and Emperor Jones with the supersuave Patterson Joseph, Glengarry Glen Ross with Jonathan Pryce on Shaftesbury Avenue, Othello with the amazing doublewhammy of Chiwetel Ejiofor and Kelly Reilly, plus wossisface, at the Donmar (if you can get in), Ian McKellen's King Lear coming into town, Patrick Stewart's Macbeth, Kevin Spacey in the role he was born to play in Speed-the-Plow at Christmas, Complicite's new show at the Barbican and Rhinoceros in the capable hands of Dominic Cooke at the Royal Court, plus reports that Katie Mitchell's doing Women of Troy at the National. Of course none of these have yet opened but among them there's definitely going to be some gold. I can't remember ever being quite so excited.

#3 josh

josh

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 741 posts
  • Interests:theatre, movies, actors, acting, directing

Posted 22 August 2007 - 09:19 PM

QUOTE(Theatresquirrel @ Aug 22 2007, 08:39 PM) View Post
It looks to me like the juiciest season ever, kicking off with Stockard Channing in Awake & Sing at the Almeida, All About My Mother and its mouthwatering cast at the Old Vic, Present Laughter with the consummate Alex Jennings at the National, plus a surely surefire cert with Much Ado there in December, and Emperor Jones with the supersuave Patterson Joseph, Glengarry Glen Ross with Jonathan Pryce on Shaftesbury Avenue, Othello with the amazing doublewhammy of Chiwetel Ejiofor and Kelly Reilly, plus wossisface, at the Donmar (if you can get in), Ian McKellen's King Lear coming into town, Patrick Stewart's Macbeth, Kevin Spacey in the role he was born to play in Speed-the-Plow at Christmas, Complicite's new show at the Barbican and Rhinoceros in the capable hands of Dominic Cooke at the Royal Court, plus reports that Katie Mitchell's doing Women of Troy at the National. Of course none of these have yet opened but among them there's definitely going to be some gold. I can't remember ever being quite so excited.

Wow! When you list them all like that...pretty amazing.
Do we know if Othello at the Donmar will ever allow mere mortals to book tickets? I promised my sister I'd take her for Christmas without thinking (Ewan McGregor is probably the only thing that would ever get her to see a Shakespeare play...).
I think of that whole list I'm most excited about All About My Mother, Much Ado at the NT, the Complicite (which I still don't have tickets for, uh oh) and Women of Troy.
He used to call me Blue Roses.

#4 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5144 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 09:32 PM

Does anyone know if booking for Speed the Plow is open yet and if not when it will open?
The Othello can be booked from September 10th as far as I know, supporters first I expect so cosy up to someone.
It does look a very promising autumn.

#5 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5144 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 09:32 PM

Having said that , Speed the Plow starts in January I think.

#6 Sam Nash

Sam Nash

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 10:32 AM

Thanks everyone; a great list and some real choices!

#7 if_i_only_had_a_heart

if_i_only_had_a_heart

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 11:36 PM

Also Im very excited by the Haymarket season which opens with 'The Country Wife'. Was a big fan of Jonathan Kents work at the Almeida, so it'll be interesting to see if he can create the same buzz in a west end venue.

#8 josh

josh

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 741 posts
  • Interests:theatre, movies, actors, acting, directing

Posted 31 August 2007 - 12:48 AM

Of course the most exciting thing of all EVER is the new Punchdrunk show    The Masque of the Red Death.
I'm so excited I could literally explode.
He used to call me Blue Roses.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users