18 replies to this topic

#1 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5136 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 11:12 PM

I thought it was excellent; I'd missed it at the Gate but knowing how small the Gate is I am intrigued at the redirection that must have been necessary. Well, the girl done good. I'm a bit tired, so won't ramble on but just have to say that it is te first time I have seen the revolve in the Olivier used to good dramatic effect.

#2 donny

donny

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 11:43 PM

Saw it tonight and i thought it want great, the design is fantastic and well thought through but the play it self for me left me cold. Paterson is a great actor and is brill inJoan which i think is the nationals finest production this year, but has scenes that dont move any where and what was with the hundreds of ensemb;le players drowning the stage for five mins? for that crazy scene?
not sure what will happen with this one but i dont expect a huge reception.
but good on the national for bringing in new productions from smaller houses.

#3 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5136 posts

Posted 25 August 2007 - 10:40 AM

That scene with all the people at the slave auction took my breath away; it was a real reminder of what actually took place then and it involved us all. The fact that the people were laughing on stage was a great little piece of direction, I thought and there was a decided feeling of embarrassment in the audience. It is an early play by O'Neill [ like Hothouse, you see the future from our vantage point now] so not necessarily fully worked out but it has the quality of a poem and a very strong sense of theatre too - quite something for a new boy back in 1920. When I read the programme I saw all the other plays that O'Neill has written and I have never heard of and I wonder if any of them are as worthy of revival and maybe they will be attempted now.

#4 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 08 September 2007 - 06:27 PM

A great example of a so-so play being made worthwhile by excellent direction & staging. The balletic movements of the slave labourers were superb. I'm dying to see Patterson Joseph do Shakespeare.

#5 josh

josh

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 741 posts
  • Interests:theatre, movies, actors, acting, directing

Posted 08 September 2007 - 09:05 PM

Saw it this afternoon and thought it was very good, especially Paterson Joseph who I have never really rated on stage before. Only the National could ever have a scene with 30 extras who have no lines and only appear for two minutes, never to be seen again! Thought it was a very good production - I wished the play had been longer though and gone into his mad mind in more depth.
He used to call me Blue Roses.

#6 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 08 September 2007 - 10:05 PM

If I'd known you were there josh I'd have said hello! rolleyes.gif

#7 josh

josh

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 08 September 2007 - 10:44 PM

QUOTE(Daniel @ Sep 8 2007, 11:05 PM) View Post
If I'd known you were there josh I'd have said hello! rolleyes.gif

Oh!!!
Where were you sitting?
We were in the second row...the gunshots were too scary and that fire was too bright! Haha. Otherwise, it was amazing being that close...the sweat was POURING of Paterson Joseph.

#8 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 08 September 2007 - 10:49 PM

QUOTE(josh @ Sep 8 2007, 11:44 PM) View Post
Oh!!!
Where were you sitting?
We were in the second row...the gunshots were too scary and that fire was too bright! Haha. Otherwise, it was amazing being that close...the sweat was POURING of Paterson Joseph.

Also in the second row - but at the side - the cheap seats! - yes, I noticed the sweat & was grateful for the distance!

#9 josh

josh

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 08 September 2007 - 11:20 PM

QUOTE(Daniel @ Sep 8 2007, 11:49 PM) View Post
Also in the second row - but at the side - the cheap seats! - yes, I noticed the sweat & was grateful for the distance!

How funny! We probably saw each other laugh.gif
The second row in the middle is 10, too!
He actually sweated all over the lady in the row in front of me at one point...

#10 Backdrifter

Backdrifter

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  • Interests:Moving, sleeping, eating, not being here

Gender says 'not telling' but, clue: I own some Y chromosomes

Posted 10 September 2007 - 11:17 AM

QUOTE(josh @ Sep 8 2007, 10:05 PM) View Post
Thought it was a very good production - I wished the play had been longer though and gone into his mad mind in more depth.

I loved it but thought the length and depth were just right. One of the best things I've seen this year so far. In fact I'm having a good theatre year generally.
Turn up the signal... wipe out the noise

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users