44 replies to this topic

#1 Widow Twanky

Widow Twanky

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 11:38 AM

Went to see this last night, and I have to say apart from dodgy sound balance, it was a really good night:). The problem was when the orchestra was in full swing, we couldn't hear Michael very well:(
Judging by some of Michael Ball's comments I feel there may have been a few traditionalists who were unhappy with there being a "Musical Theatre Prom" all I can say to them in Bah Humbug. I hope it becomes an annual event with different hosts, and perhaps a few more guests, we were disappointed Laura Michelle Kelly only sang a duet, it would have been nice for her to have had a solo.
All in all, 25 well spent.

#2 Tonks

Tonks

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 12:15 PM

I was there too. I also thought the orchestra were a little loud in places but it doesn't seem so bad on the BBC4 broadcast so maybe it was the sound in the venue.

I Loved Michael and Laura Michelle singing "The Prayer
and
Michael and Alfie singing "Au fond temple saint" from The Pearl Fishers, how scary would that have been, first time on live tv.

And the number from "Patience" wonderful. It was a great evening all round and I to hope for future musical theatre events at the Proms.

#3 oldlady

oldlady

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 01:12 PM

Having listened to it, I thought it a wonderful concert.  Great step for musical theatre being made part of the Proms.  Maybe it could continue.   Especially if  this particular event sold out first and got such a warm welcome.  Brilliant performance  by Michael Ball

#4 angelfan

angelfan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 757 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 01:39 PM

I came across it on BBC 4 last night and thoroughly enjoyed it.  There was certainly no problem with the sound on tv.  He was interviewed between the first and second part and when asked about the criticism he said it didn't bother him and did his impression of Catherine Tate's Lauren.  They also spoke to Laura Michelle Kelly, Alfie Boe and Andrew Lloyd Webber.
Give Yourself Over To Absolute Pleasure

#5 xXAngelofMusicXx

xXAngelofMusicXx

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 08:36 PM

I saw and enjoyed it last night. Though i have to say i felt like it got off to a good start but sort of dwindled as it went on, as he started with two songs im very fond of but they seemed to get more boring as he went on. I was a little disappointed by the Laura Michelle Kelly duet but was pleasantly surprised at Alfie Boe who id never heard before.

#6 JamesLT

JamesLT

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 11:18 AM

What a fab evening. Michael Ball sang wonderfully and did us all proud. Let us hope the Proms continue to include musical theatre in future seasons. Good mixture of songs I thought, lots of diversity.

'and if you don't like the way that I look, I just don't give a damn' ~ Hairspray

#7 beric

beric

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 05:45 PM

QUOTE(Widow Twanky @ Aug 28 2007, 12:38 PM) View Post
Judging by some of Michael Ball's comments I feel there may have been a few traditionalists who were unhappy with there being a "Musical Theatre Prom" all I can say to them in Bah Humbug.

Speaking as a 'traditionalist' I think the idea of a music theatre Prom is fine. The problem is the concept of 'An Evening With X'. If you want to do music theatre, do it seriously and put on a show. The Proms do opera, why not a musical show? But this was a MichaelBallFest for his fans, and listening to him struggling with Au fond du temple saint to show he could do opera was appalling to the the nth degree. He's a music theatre performer, not an operatic baritone. (Alfie Boe, OTOH, is not bad).

Let's have a proper music theatre prom - one that celebrates music theatre rather than idolising an individual. That's naff.

#8 JamesLT

JamesLT

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 07:10 PM

QUOTE(beric @ Aug 29 2007, 06:45 PM) View Post
Speaking as a 'traditionalist' I think the idea of a music theatre Prom is fine. The problem is the concept of 'An Evening With X'. If you want to do music theatre, do it seriously and put on a show. The Proms do opera, why not a musical show? But this was a MichaelBallFest for his fans, and listening to him struggling with Au fond du temple saint to show he could do opera was appalling to the the nth degree. He's a music theatre performer, not an operatic baritone. (Alfie Boe, OTOH, is not bad).

Let's have a proper music theatre prom - one that celebrates music theatre rather than idolising an individual. That's naff.

I don't believe that the only way musical theatre can be represented at the proms is in the form of a full show which has been done previously, or that this one was simply idolising an individual.This was an evening with a musical theatre performer, A different title might have worked better but the premiss of the show was fine imo.  

I do not agree about Au fond du temple saint Michael is not an operatic baritone but I don't feel his first attempt was apalling. Oringinally Alfie was supposed to be doing a musical theatre number but that didn't happen. If it had it would have balanced things out.
'and if you don't like the way that I look, I just don't give a damn' ~ Hairspray

#9 beric

beric

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 08:21 PM

QUOTE(JamesLT @ Aug 29 2007, 08:10 PM) View Post
I don't believe [...] that this one was simply idolising an individual. This was an evening with a musical theatre performer

Listening to the noise coming from the audience, they appeared besotted. Very intrusive.
I do not agree about Au fond du temple saint Michael is not an operatic baritone but I don't feel his first attempt was apalling.

I suppose it depends how many operatic versions of the duet you've heard. Michael Ball's voice doesn't blend with an operatic tenor. It wasn't a duet: it was a tenor solo with a dull harmonisation. Why didn't he invite an operatic baritone to sing it? - because the concert was about Michael Ball.

I don't have a problem with that. None at all. It just wasn't a Prom.

#10 JR1

JR1

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 09:25 PM

I'm a Michael Ball fan and a sometimes promenader, and I was quite disappointed with his performance on Monday.  I've certainly heard him in better voice, and when he is so he's unbeatable in his genre.  However, an opera singer he ain't and I found the duet with Alfie B quite pathetic especially as he seemed less than comfortable with it.  Perhaps he realised too late that performing in an operetta or a musical with an opera company is a large step from singing opera.

I also became more than p-ed off with his constant carping at those who thought the Proms wasn't the place for an evening with Michael Ball - anyone with any commonsense would have ignored all the negative comments in order to concentrate on the matter in hand.  Methinks the gentleman protested much too much leaving one to believe that he, himself, had misgivings about the project.

He also seemed to alternate between being over-awed by the event and seeming much too complacent.  It was like watching Jekyll and Hyde at the music hall.

What a tired, dreary repertoire he belted out.  I suppose he thought that if most promenaders were boycotting the night then he just as well might take the path of least resistance and give his fans another same old Michael Ball Show.  Perhaps he forgot that some others would watch the BBC4 programme if only out of interest.  I've watched the video of it and it's no better than the live concert apart from the sound.

Normally he does what he does very well and, apart from a few bum notes, it wasn't a bad performance.  In fact if any current musical theatre singers performed as he did then we'd think that they'd done well.  But, if I was a school teacher I'd have been writing "Could do and has done better" on Mr Ball's report.  I think it was possibly a mistake to do a show in the Welsh hills right before such an important occasion, I don't think he realises that sometimes it's good to rest a voice before a big performance.  I guess that's his lack of formal training showing through, or perhaps he'd had a few too many drinks over the weekend - there was certainly something amiss.  Or maybe nerves kicked in too much.

When I first heard that he was doing the Proms I thought that he'd have the opportunity to work with a different MD, but apparently not.  It may have been a better night if someone else had taken charge musically.  I'm beginning to think that he and Callum (surname?) are joined at the hip.

But, I guess, he filled the Proms coffers and the worry now is that they'll go for another "stunt" night next season which could be worse and not better than a Michael Ball Show.  I suppose I got what it said on the packet - I guess I should have read the list of contents before buying it.  Most of his fans seemed to think he did the business excellently well - perhaps they watched a different performance. sad.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users