44 replies to this topic

#41 theatrefan

theatrefan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 01:15 PM

It was well thought out, but not what origianlly had been intended I gather. I heard that either the BBC or the Proms organisers (not sure which) insisted that any guests Michael had had to have recording contracts, which immediately ruled out the appearance of most musical theatre performers and stopped it being a Faenol, MB openair type of show. If this is true, it created a  wasted opportunity because of it I fear.
The best of times is now,
Now, not some forgotten yesterday.
Now, tomorrow is too far away

#42 JamesLT

JamesLT

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 11:56 PM

I assummed Laura was chosen partly because of her having been a winner of the BBC voice of musical theatre contest in the past. It's also possible that because the Faenol, MB open air type format had been done at the Royal Opera House few years earlier .That the organisers wanted something different for the Prom. I don't remember anyone mentioning their albums so, that must have been been a case of subliminal advertising laugh.gif wink.gif
'and if you don't like the way that I look, I just don't give a damn' ~ Hairspray

#43 Guest_Chris_*

Guest_Chris_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 September 2007 - 03:39 AM

QUOTE(JR1 @ Aug 29 2007, 09:25 PM) View Post
I think it was possibly a mistake to do a show in the Welsh hills right before such an important occasion, I don't think he realises that sometimes it's good to rest a voice before a big performance.

Morman Tabernacle Choir - Salt Lake City - 'Nuff said.

#44 JamesLT

JamesLT

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 10:19 AM

I think it was possibly a mistake to do a show in the Welsh hills right before such an important occasion, I don't think he realises that sometimes it's good to rest a voice before a big performance.
QUOTE(Chris @ Sep 15 2007, 04:39 AM) View Post

Morman Tabernacle Choir - Salt Lake City - 'Nuff said.

Came after two full concerts the previous two nights. It was sad the performance with the choir didn't go ahead but surely the concerts took precedence on that occasion.
'and if you don't like the way that I look, I just don't give a damn' ~ Hairspray

#45 Guest_second fiddle_*

Guest_second fiddle_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 September 2007 - 07:43 AM

QUOTE(theatrefan @ Sep 14 2007, 01:15 PM) View Post
It was well thought out, but not what origianlly had been intended I gather. I heard that either the BBC or the Proms organisers (not sure which) insisted that any guests Michael had had to have recording contracts, which immediately ruled out the appearance of most musical theatre performers and stopped it being a Faenol, MB openair type of show. If this is true, it created a  wasted opportunity because of it I fear.

It would be a wasted opportunity alright, if any future musical theatre concerts at the Proms, require performers to have recording contracts. This can't be true. Why should musical theatre actors necessarily have recording work behind them? Very few do! I've never heard of any other BBC gig requiring this. It doesn't apply with regards to participants in other Proms concerts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users