44 replies to this topic

#11 brianh

brianh

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 11:15 PM

QUOTE(JR1 @ Aug 29 2007, 09:25 PM) View Post
What a tired, dreary repertoire he belted out. I suppose he thought that if most promenaders were boycotting the night then he just as well might take the path of least resistance and give his fans another same old Michael Ball Show. Perhaps he forgot that some others would watch the BBC4 programme if only out of interest.

Or perhaps he didn't forget and the concert content was largely for those others who tuned in to watch out of interest.   I have been reading the threads on the various message boards about the content of this Prom.   Some folks are saying it was the same old songs he always sings, while at the same time complaining of a missed opportunity to make an impression with such a prominent tv, radio and live audience.    That prominent TV and radio audience were probably not regular Michael Ball concert attendees - most of those were in the Royal Albert Hall, so that prominent TV and radio audience would probably not have heard the concert set list before.

#12 JamesLT

JamesLT

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 01:38 AM

QUOTE(brianh @ Aug 30 2007, 12:15 AM) View Post
Or perhaps he didn't forget and the concert content was largely for those others who tuned in to watch out of interest. I have been reading the threads on the various message boards about the content of this Prom. Some folks are saying it was the same old songs he always sings, while at the same time complaining of a missed opportunity to make an impression with such a prominent tv, radio and live audience. That prominent TV and radio audience were probably not regular Michael Ball concert attendees - most of those were in the Royal Albert Hall, so that prominent TV and radio audience would probably not have heard the concert set list before.

Well said!! Some people will always find fault whatever he sings.

'and if you don't like the way that I look, I just don't give a damn' ~ Hairspray

#13 Widow Twanky

Widow Twanky

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 10:35 AM

"Let's have a proper music theatre prom - one that celebrates music theatre rather than idolising an individual. That's naff."

A valid point:).
I feel, this was the  first one and was played very safe, probably I imagine to gauge reactions etc. Hopefully next year it will be more adventuous, with a bit more variety - perhaps on a specific theme or the works of one composer etc. Whatever form it takes, I hope it continues.

BTW. I jsut watched a tape of it, and the sound was so much better, honestly when he sang This is the Moment, I could hardly hear a thing.

#14 angelfan

angelfan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 757 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 02:21 PM

Well I wouldn't class myself as a Michael Ball fan.  I've never seen him in concert and Hairspray will be the first time I get to see him in a musical.  I didn't even know this was being broadcast.  I was channel hopping, saw BBC Proms On Four and nearly changed channel until I saw Michael Ball and discovered he was doing a full show.  I had no problems with the songs he sang.  I didn't like them all but it was an enjoyable show overall.  the two standing ovations seemed to indicate that the audience in attendance enjoyed the show as well.

I thought he was perfectly right to have a go at those who had criticised his taking part in the Prom.  Why take it lying down?  I've always thought the Proms were rather snobby and these snobs can do with being taken down a peg or two.
Give Yourself Over To Absolute Pleasure

#15 kgc

kgc

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 07:05 PM

I'm sure most of you will have already seen it but take a look at http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/mbradio3/F7497567...p=0&show=20.

If they want to do a "musical" prom they could have done it an an operatic style - e.g. like the way Sarah Brightman sings Memory from Cats (or others) in Italian or some of Sondheim's work was vfery operatic. WSS symphomnic dances was performed last week as well and no-one complained about that. I think it is more of an issue having Michael Ball rather than musical theatre - why is he so special to have an entire evening when there must be loads of classical musicians/ singers who haven't?

#16 JamesLT

JamesLT

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 01:33 AM

QUOTE(kgc @ Aug 30 2007, 08:05 PM) View Post
why is he so special to have an entire evening when there must be loads of classical musicians/ singers who haven't?

Because he was asked ! This wasn't a classical event, that is kind of the point. smile.gif

I tend to agree with Widow Twanky this was the first time a Musical theatre performer had been offered their own full Prom. Love him or hate him Michael Ball is one the best known musical theatre performers. He has a name beyond the theatre which will have potentialy brought a different audience group to the proms. I imagine he was advised as to the form they wanted to show to take. Most of the songs are linked to his career, which is safe but wise. They wouldn't have wanted anything to demanding for the audience for the first one. The audience was involved and enjoying the night. Michael sang like a dream and sounded amazing (except for the dodgy sound in the RAH). It has taken 112 years for this to happen, it's a great honour for Michael Ball which seems to have been lost in all the arguing.

Going back to Kgc's point about there being loads of performers who haven't had this chance. This prom was sold out, so perhaps that will allow a subsidy to a less subscribed event next year. Or has already done so this year.
'and if you don't like the way that I look, I just don't give a damn' ~ Hairspray

#17 oldlady

oldlady

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 08:34 AM

I think you have made a very valid point.   It was a first.   It sold out.   It will now make room for either more musical theatre performers or another musical theatre prom.   It will also help less attended events.   Quite a break through from where I am sitting.  I think Michael and those performing with him should be quite proud of what they have accomplished.

#18 Biddy

Biddy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 03:17 PM

QUOTE(kgc @ Aug 30 2007, 08:05 PM) View Post
If they want to do a "musical" prom they could have done it an an operatic style - e.g. like the way Sarah Brightman sings Memory from Cats (or others) in Italian or some of Sondheim's work was vfery operatic.

I'm not into orchestral pieces or opera, so I wouldn't normally watch or listen to a Prom -
but because I'd thought (months ago) it was billed as a Musical Theatre Prom, I watched or at least listened to this
(except the very end, 'cos over-ran & clashed with something else we wanted).

However, I'd not realised (until it was on) that it was specifically billed as 'An Evening with Michael Ball'.

A would have thought a wider range of leading performers (more like Bryn's Faenol Festival the previous evening)
might have encouraged more Proms listeners to take a greater interest in musical theatre.

And if the aim was to encourage more Proms listeners to take a greater interest in musical theatre,
I think (at least for the FIRST musical theatre Prom) it would have been wiser to stick to 'easy listening',
rather than adding rockier songs -
especially the rocky Queen song, following immediately after the moving 'Empty Chairs at Empty Tables'.

The changes of tempo marred what I'd hoped would be a relaxing evening -
and I imagine it would have come as an even greater shock to orchestral & opera afficionados.

All credit to Alfie Boe though - he sang very well, & hubby & I both enjoyed listening to him -
I wish Alfie, not MB, had sung his Kismet songs.

#19 oldlady

oldlady

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 05:48 PM

For those who listened on the radio or those who watched on television.  There is something you missed.   At the end of the duet, Alfie got down on his knee and bowed to Michael.   To show I believe what Michael had accomplished.  That I think should be noted.  Alfie appreciated the pains Mr. Ball had gone through to sing the duet.   By the way I did like it very much

#20 JR1

JR1

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 07:24 PM

"Alfie got down on his knee and bowed to Michael To show I believe what Michael had accomplished. That I think should be noted. Alfie appreciated the pains Mr. Ball had gone through to sing the duet."

Maybe that was just an A-for-effort and bl**dy nerve rather than for operatic achievement.  laugh.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users