#22 JamesLT

JamesLT

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 10:52 PM

QUOTE(Biddy @ Aug 31 2007, 04:17 PM) View Post
And if the aim was to encourage more Proms listeners to take a greater interest in musical theatre,
I think (at least for the FIRST musical theatre Prom) it would have been wiser to stick to 'easy listening',
rather than adding rockier songs -especially the rocky Queen song, following immediately after the moving Empty Chairs at Empty Tables'.The changes of tempo marred what I'd hoped would be a relaxing evening

It was not strictly the first musical theatre prom, there have been whole shows done before 'On the town' and 'Oklahoma' ??  This was the first time one musical theatre performer had had a whole prom. In future years. I can see the Faenol format working well (MB's been doing the same sort of format himself in open air concerts for several years now). I would have prefered Michael to have had another musical theatre performer rather than Alfie as a guest.

The tempo changes didn't bother me to much. I might have jigged one or two songs around. Empty chairs at Empty tables was before the Queen number. If 'The Prayer' and followed Empty Chairs it would have left the three more lively songs together at the end.  

Maybe that was just an A-for-effort and bl**dy nerve rather than for operatic achievement. laugh.gif

smile.gif  A for effort and bl**dy nerve definately

I wonder what happened to their showbiz number Michael had said would be happening.
'and if you don't like the way that I look, I just don't give a damn' ~ Hairspray

#23 World Traveler

World Traveler

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 11:57 PM

QUOTE(JamesLT @ Aug 31 2007, 10:52 PM) View Post
I wonder what happened to their showbiz number Michael had said would be happening.

Was it definite?  I thought I had heard that Alfie might try something from musical theatre.

#24 JamesLT

JamesLT

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 01 September 2007 - 10:06 AM

Only in as much as when interviewed on 'In tune' re Kismet Michael said Alfie would be his guest and that Alfie was going to teach him some opera and he was going to try and get him to do something from showbiz smile.gif
'and if you don't like the way that I look, I just don't give a damn' ~ Hairspray

#25 Simba

Simba

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 01 September 2007 - 05:16 PM

QUOTE(Widow Twanky @ Aug 28 2007, 12:38 PM) View Post
Went to see this last night, and I have to say apart from dodgy sound balance, it was a really good night:). The problem was when the orchestra was in full swing, we couldn't hear Michael very well:(
Judging by some of Michael Ball's comments I feel there may have been a few traditionalists who were unhappy with there being a "Musical Theatre Prom" all I can say to them in Bah Humbug. I hope it becomes an annual event with different hosts, and perhaps a few more guests, we were disappointed Laura Michelle Kelly only sang a duet, it would have been nice for her to have had a solo.
All in all, 25 well spent.

LMK seemed to forget a line in the Prayer and for what she did was hardly worth disappointing the many people sat in Drury Lane missing her great performance of Galadriel!

#26 Gregor

Gregor

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 02 September 2007 - 06:57 AM

QUOTE(Simba @ Sep 1 2007, 06:16 PM) View Post
LMK seemed to forget a line in the Prayer and for what she did was hardly worth disappointing the many people sat in Drury Lane missing her great performance of Galadriel!

LotR doesn't have a Sunday performance!

#27 brianh

brianh

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 September 2007 - 07:39 AM

QUOTE(Gregor @ Sep 2 2007, 06:57 AM) View Post
LotR doesn't have a Sunday performance!

But this was Monday.

#28 Gregor

Gregor

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 03 September 2007 - 06:03 AM

Quite right -  sorry!   Completely getting mixed up with Faenol!

#29 mjr

mjr

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3337 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 04:29 PM

if events like the proms and other classical music events are to survive, people have to accempt that this is the way that is going. Nicholas Kenynon said that he is trying to bring in a new and you nger audience to the proms, and this is one of the ways in which he did it this season. Although this being his last season it will be interesting what the season is like next year

#30 JR1

JR1

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 07:00 PM

It could have brought in a new audience, but I think the majority were Michael Ball fans.  Will most of them bother going again or watching on TV if MB isn't performing?  I've also seen many more younger people (by audience percentage)at other proms I've attended.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users