this site might give you some ideas getintotheatre.org

#12 Elisa

Elisa

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 12:18 PM

I'd like to work in a Musical Theatre.
I think in a uscher job. also I have a degree I want to stay in a theatre to heard this atmospere.

What's I doing to take my dream...

Thanks' for your reply.

#13 Guest_Old Techie_*

Guest_Old Techie_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 March 2008 - 02:28 AM

In all reality, Rear of House is not a place for wannabe musical turns - the starry-eyed youngsters tend to gravitate to FOH.  If you were to get a crew job on your favorite musical, you would invariably find that your colleagues would not share your tastes - and you defintely would not want to share your musical theatre ambition with them!

At your age, perhaps you could try the St. John's Ambulance watch shows for free program.

#14 Guest_*k*_*

Guest_*k*_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 May 2009 - 11:00 AM

Heya,I am also passionate about musicals and want to work backstage,however living in scotland i am finding it extremely difficult to find work experience-any ideas?
thanks

#15 MusicalTwin

MusicalTwin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 10:46 PM

Just a very tiny little question in between: What's FOH? huh.gif

~*LAST' INN TEGITHA! (LISTEN, YOUR INSTINCT WILL LEAD YOU!)*~

#16 Weez

Weez

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2632 posts
  • Interests:Theatre. :D

Posted 19 May 2009 - 10:53 PM

Front of House. Ushering, programme-selling, bar work and the like, as opposed to all the backstage malarkey. smile.gif

Notes from the Earlham Street Gutter
http://earlhamstreet...r.blogspot.com/

#17 MusicalTwin

MusicalTwin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 11:00 PM

Ah, I see. Thank you! happy.gif

~*LAST' INN TEGITHA! (LISTEN, YOUR INSTINCT WILL LEAD YOU!)*~

#18 Guest_old techie_*

Guest_old techie_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 May 2009 - 07:52 PM

QUOTE(Weez @ May 19 2009, 10:53 PM) View Post
Front of House. Ushering, programme-selling, bar work and the like, as opposed to all the backstage malarkey. smile.gif

Rear of House is where the shows actually happen.  I am surprised how very few people here really want to get in the thick of it.  Wouldn't you like to see your favourite turn/director etc have a big queenie fit?  See the accidents, disasters and near misses?

Most showman jobs ain't rocket science - doing the same plot for months is really a trained monkey job.  And college training is not required - buying a tactical pint is a better option.

Come on - see real raw theatre, not the neat version the punters (and FoH) get...

You can send me a CV...if you can find me...

Love you all

Old Techie

#19 Weez

Weez

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2632 posts
  • Interests:Theatre. :D

Posted 27 May 2009 - 11:16 PM

I'd take you up on that if you could guarantee me full-time hours. Just let me know what yours is a pint of. tongue.gif

Notes from the Earlham Street Gutter
http://earlhamstreet...r.blogspot.com/

#20 Matthew Winn

Matthew Winn

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2898 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 05:06 AM

QUOTE(old techie @ May 27 2009, 08:52 PM) View Post
Rear of House is where the shows actually happen.  I am surprised how very few people here really want to get in the thick of it.

I love the technical side of theatre, and have ever since I worked an incredibly ancient lighting board when I was at school. Programming? Ha! I had two sets of sliders under my fingers and had to set every scene on the fly, and I loved it.

Most showman jobs ain't rocket science - doing the same plot for months is really a trained monkey job.

I think that's true for acting, but for most technical jobs there's a bit more responsibility than a trained monkey could handle. A large ape, perhaps.

Actually, although it's hardly difficult work it's still very responsible work. Electricity, carbon dioxide, explosives, firearms and heavy scenery all have potential to kill or maim and if you don't know what you're doing they can easily do so. The laws of physics won't be denied. Although I have to admit it is great fun watching someone try to pick up a lump of dry ice in bare fingers.
I have always hated eggs. I remember back when I was a sperm I tried to head-butt one. It did not end well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users