48 replies to this topic

#41 Matthew Winn

Matthew Winn

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2898 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 09:34 PM

I've a suspicion it may be another Notre Dame de Paris: a show where it doesn't so much tell a story as present a series of musical numbers about a story, with the audience's prior knowledge filling in the gaps.
I have always hated eggs. I remember back when I was a sperm I tried to head-butt one. It did not end well.

#42 canmark

canmark

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 05:45 PM

QUOTE(curzon @ Mar 3 2007, 04:20 PM) View Post
Far be it from me to contradict you but descriptions from toronto indicated that there was indeed a chorus of dancing Hobbits at the start of the show. But maybe that has been cut now? And while clearly I would not expect to see a replica of the films onstage I would rather hope that anything going out under the title of LOTR might bear some resemblance to the books. Or am I expecting too much?

Sebastian

(Actually, the producers continually tried to downplay the musical description, insisting it was something unique, different, new. A play with music!)

Having seen the Toronto production I can say that this is the shows mistake. It should be a musical. It should be dancing hobbits! (Either that, or it should be a straight play. A Nicholas Nickelby, or something like that.)

Trust me, one of the best scenes in the show is the song and dance number at the Prancing Pony inn. It's Oom, Pah, Pah, it's Master of the House, it's June is bustin out all over. It's a fun song and dance musical number.

But I don't know how many changes will be made for London. Hopefully they'll make it a bit more like The Lion King, and allow the costumes to shine. Hopefully they'll throw in some Les Miz-like solos. Hopefully it's have more Cirque du Soleil-like humour and acrobatic wonder.

=========

Edit to add: from 24 March 2006, BBC

A $25m (14m) stage musical version of The Lord of the Rings has failed to impress theatre critics after its premiere in Toronto, Canada.
Most reviewers said the show, which runs to almost four hours, did not live up to expectations.

The Toronto Star described it as "dull", while the Toronto Sun said it "falls victim to its own hype".
The Toronto Globe and Mail said it was "a pale imitation of the books, the films and, tragically, theatre itself".

The New York Times critic Ben Brantley said it was "largely incomprehensible".

"No-one emerges with head unmuddled, eyes unblurred or eardrums unrattled," he wrote.
According to director Matthew Warchus, the musical - which has a cast of 55, uses 17 elevators and features 500 pieces of armour - is "like ten shows in one".

"It's got aerial sequences. It's got a moving floor. It's got some of the most complicated technology ever used," he said.

When the director trumpets the technical accomplishments, well. Don't say you weren't warned.  wink.gif

#43 curzon

curzon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 820 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 07:35 PM

QUOTE(canmark @ Mar 6 2007, 05:45 PM) View Post
Trust me, one of the best scenes in the show is the song and dance number at the Prancing Pony inn. It's Oom, Pah, Pah, it's Master of the House, it's June is bustin out all over. It's a fun song and dance musical number.
You see this is what makes me think I don't want to see the show. I associate lots of things with LOTR but fun is not one of them! Also the Prancing Pony scene should be scary and full of foreboding. The other aspect that puts me off is that most of the songs in Tolkien's original are utter pants - Pseudo Celtic twaddle. They're the bits I skip through when I re-read the books.... so the thought of a show with lots of Tolkien set to music fills me with dread.

Sebastian

#44 Blue

Blue

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 12:24 PM

QUOTE(curzon @ Mar 6 2007, 07:35 PM) View Post
Pseudo Celtic twaddle.

I love it.  tongue.gif

I'm really hoping that the music will have this sort of a feel and some great solo numbers. I love to hear Arowen sing for her love for Aragorn.

#45 mooboo

mooboo

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 06:23 PM

I cant wait for Lord of the Rings I'm so excited, you can see more footage and get more info on lastminute.com, they are doing a vidoe blog and footage from the first day of rehearsals and some training is on there - it looks SSSSSSSOOOOOOO Cool! http://www.lotr.lastminuteliving.com//

#46 curzon

curzon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 820 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 07:07 PM

QUOTE(mooboo @ Mar 8 2007, 06:23 PM) View Post
I cant wait for Lord of the Rings I'm so excited, you can see more footage and get more info on lastminute.com, they are doing a vidoe blog and footage from the first day of rehearsals and some training is on there - it looks SSSSSSSOOOOOOO Cool! http://www.lotr.lastminuteliving.com//
They certainly seem to be going for the circus skills big time. Let's hope it is serving the story and isn't just an alternative to decent musical and dramatic content. But the little bits of music one heard in the background did not fill one with hope. A bit like the bastard lovechild of Clannad and Enya!  blink.gif

Sebastian

#47 Marius

Marius

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 09 March 2007 - 10:49 AM

Somebody has posted on another forum that its come close to not happening recently, anybody else heard that?

Must say its unusual not to have had my tickets come through yet from See.They are normally really good at sending them out.

#48 Blue

Blue

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 10 March 2007 - 10:34 AM

Its still on track for May the 9th opening preview.

#49 curzon

curzon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 820 posts

Posted 10 March 2007 - 02:26 PM

QUOTE(Blue @ Mar 10 2007, 10:34 AM) View Post
Its still on track for May the 9th opening preview.
ah well... wink.gif

Sebastian

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users