#11 Latecomer

Latecomer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1666 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 07:38 AM

QUOTE(Cathryn @ Jun 14 2010, 10:37 PM) View Post
At the Donmar, say, or even the National, I can't imagine anyone coming in with a milkshake.  Glass of wine, maybe, but not a milkshake.

Haha...when I was at The Donmar the person next to me kept falling asleep, then waking up with a start!!! Still, she did tell me at the end how good the show had been!!! I suppose at least it was Red....whenever she fell asleep/woke up there was always another painting to discuss!

#12 Guest_Fred C_*

Guest_Fred C_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 June 2010 - 08:29 AM

QUOTE(Cathryn @ Jun 14 2010, 09:37 PM) View Post
I wonder if it is a bit the type of show?

Hmmmm... the shows mentioned in this thread so far are:

A West End musical
A panto
Blood Brothers
Dirty Dancing
Legally Blonde
Priscilla
Sunset Boulevard
Les Mis
Wicked
Annie
Enron

That said, I almsot never go to musicals, mostly plays, and still occasionally run into various bad behaviours, though thankfully never usually as bad as some of the stuff I read about on this board. Audible talking is the most frequent and I've found that it's well-spoken middle-aged women who most object to being asked to be quiet.

One of the things mentioned earlier is a particular gripe of mine, people talking right up until dialogue starts, as though an overture or introductory sequence doesn't really matter as long as it has no dialogue.

I'm irritated and amused in equal measure by those people who squint at their phones right up until the moment the stage lights come up. Heaven forbid they should lose a single nanosecond of phone interaction, they're that important. In a previous thread here about this kind of thing, one poster stoutly defended his practice of keeping his phone on during shows, on the grounds that he has children and "there might be an emergency". I'd suggest if he's that worried about his kids bursting into flame, contracting ebola or suddenly falling down a mine shaft at any moment, he shouldn't go anywhere you can't keep your phone on, e.g. theatres. Or indeed, he should never lose sight of them at all.

#13 Greeneyes

Greeneyes

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 10:48 AM

Theatres share culpability in this by selling the most inappropriate products.  At Queens (Les Mis) for example they have these seaweed peanut things, which not only smell strongly but also come in the most rustly packaging imaginable.  I personally think that drinks with ice should not be allowed in, and there should be much tighter policing with noisy people told to shush by foh staff and then being removed if they don't shut up.  They could even stage an incident occasionally to encourage the rest of the audience to behave themselves.  It's incredibly rude to other theatre goer and the cast.

Sadly, a lot of people are unbelievably selfish in their arriving late, looking at phones, loudly drinking, eating, talking, snorting etc.  Can't they just go without these things for 90 minutes?  In the circles of theatres views are frequently blocked by leaners and once, in a musical, a foreign lady talked all the way through and made no effort to stifle her burps.

#14 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5140 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 10:48 AM

At After the Dance the other day the lady next to me came in after the first interval with a drink  [ Lager/Pimms colour] and lots of ice. Needless to say when she tipped the plastic cup to drink the dregs the ice clinked..happened about three times at crucial moment of tension in Act Two. Said lady did not re appear after the second interval for Act Three. Her friend muttered something about problems.......

#15 Guest_Fred C_*

Guest_Fred C_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 June 2010 - 12:04 PM

Oh god, ice clacking... I simply don't get how the person doesn't realise how noisy and intrusive it is, but then I don't get why any of these people don't see what's wrong with their behaviour. I agree that theatres themselves compound the situation through the goods on sale. I'd happily support a ban on food & drink in auditoriums.

Mentioned on this site I'm sure, quite some time ago, someone relating the story of being in a steeply raked circle and having the woman behind him take her shoes off thus ensuring her eye-wateringly smelly bare feet were more or less either side of his face, leaving him trying not to asphyxiate for the rest of the show. We've talked about whether we challenge bad behaviour; how many of us would turn to her and as politely as possible ask her to put her shoes back on as her feet stink? I'm not sure I would, any more than I'd mention to a fellow audience member about their BO or bad breath - both things I've experienced before. Incidentally last year I did have a very elegant lady behind me at the Olivier slip her sleek heels off and release a cloud of foot odour, I mention it partly for the incongrousness, silly i know but I suppose I'd expect her to be Waynetta Slob or something - even though sophisticated middle-class ladies can emit the same odours as anyone else!

Sorry to be repulsing anyone. Final note on the aromas - following a few too many of these incidents we've taken to always bringing a jar of tiger balm with us as it very efficiently combats stench problems.

A relative and her friends were so annoyed by the loud drunken behaviour of 2 women at Jersey Boys they complained to the management (who had warned but not removed them) and were given free tickets to another performance.

#16 freckles

freckles

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 12:24 PM

I'm afraid I am a serial Shush!er but you never know what sort of reaction you are going to get. The one time I really lost my temper was with a mother who had brought her young daughter to watch Wicked. They were directly behind me & the child was too young to sit still, clearly bored and fidgety so her mum decided to give her a mobile phone to play with. She proceeded to test all  the ringtones during For Good. Aaaaagh!

#17 Guest_Cruella_*

Guest_Cruella_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 June 2010 - 12:35 PM

We went to see All the Fun of the Fair last week and it was half empty.  A man came and sat directly behind us (from his cheaper seat) and promptly made comments to himself (but very loudly) about everything that happened on stage, talking over the next line each time.  He also sang very loudly, drowning out David Essex, and tried to guess which song was coming next each time.  I noticed his wife didn't move with him but stayed in her original seat - I wonder why!

During the interval I complained to theatre staff who said they would have a word with him before the second half started but didn't.  So when he started again, I turned round and asked him to be quiet but he wasn't happy with me.  However, it did work and he was relatively quiet for the rest of the show.

If I've paid 60 per ticket to see David Essex sing in a show, I do not want someone behind me (who probably paid half as much for their ticket) drowning him out.  I will go to the X-Factor auditions if I want to hear awful singing like that again!

#18 Guest_Colin_*

Guest_Colin_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 June 2010 - 12:43 PM

I thought it was just me that gets sat near people who chatter and make noises at nearly everything I go to at  the theatre these days. Lost count the number of times I have told people to be quiet. Seems to be the norm now. So it was so refreshing to go to Chichester to see the wonderful production of Love Story on Saturday afternoon and to be amongst a well behaved and and appreciative audience. Well I suppose they know how to behave in Chichester.

#19 theaterfan14

theaterfan14

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 02:28 PM

Most theaters bring these on themselves and especially the Dominion which sells glowsticks and popcorn!! The first time i saw WWRY i was stuck next to a girl who had waved it into my face for the whole of the first act and then untill at least Flash in the second act, also the popcorn just stinks but i don't object at the cinema cos im paying what 7 for a ticket and not 25 plus. Ice is again the theaters problem as they just shouldn't provide it.
"How dare they try to end this beauty!?!?"

#20 Guest_MTAddict_*

Guest_MTAddict_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 June 2010 - 04:05 PM

I seem to always end up next to the annoying people and do tend to glare or ask them to be quiet.

My personal favs were once at Never Forget drunken group of ladies behind me seemed to think it was a gig rather than a show and when we asked them to be quiet got very rude and agressive. A girl sitting next to me went to get the manager and after the interval they didn't come back. Apparently they spent the whole of the second half arguing with the theatre manager. My other one really annoyed me - I treated myself to premium seats at Phantom and behind me where a group of Eastern European guys who chatted throughout (possibly translating for one of them), in front of me was a father and son who giggled, whispered and munched throughout and next to me was a Spanish family where the girl felt the need to comment loudly to her mother after every bit of dialogue, song, plot and the father fell asleep on my shoulder only to wake up with a massive snore/snort right after the phantom screams "make your choice" in the final scene. Not exactly the best 75 ever spent.

I think the increase in this sort of behaviour comes down to one thing......RESPECT apparently being a naughty word in today's day and age!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Google