2316 replies to this topic

#1241 Tintin

Tintin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 07:26 AM

Have you ever sat directly behind the tallest man in the audience, who constantly moves from one side of his seat to the other? Or who sinks further back into it, then suddenly sits forward again? I am not sure if this would be regarded as bad behaviour, but this was in the middle of the Stalls, so, at any one time I could only see two-thirds of the stage. I had to shift my line of vision with every move. Surely anyone so tall, who obviously feels uncomfortable in such a location, should consider those who will be sitting behind him, before booking a seat. Sightlines and acoustics in many old theatres, such as the one I was in, are not very good at the best of times. This time I found it so unpleasant, I left in the interval. I probably could have asked the ushers if there was an empty seat somewhere else in the auditorium, but I was so exasperated and angry, I just wanted to get out of the place as quickly as possible.

I came home and watched a DVD, which was much more enjoyable, and shall think twice about paying a lot of money to see a production in an old theatre (however lovely) again.

#1242 SHk

SHk

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 08:42 AM

I went to see Wicked last night just to see Gina Beck (sorry, I am not a fan of this show itself). And guess what I found?

An entirely quiet audience!! At Wicked!! Who could have guessd it?

OK, the woman next to me kept eating sweets and drank copious amount of red wine, but she was the only one aound me (Front Stalls). No one moved, no one spoke, no one used mobile. Incredible. I must have been very lucky.

The good audience was such an enormous help as I found the show quite heavy going despite the excellent cast with Gina Beck illuminating in the comic scenes.But I still won't visit the Wicked thread.  I'm afraid od what I might find there.

#1243 poster J

poster J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1016 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 09:38 AM

View PostSHk, on 21 March 2012 - 08:42 AM, said:

But I still won't visit the Wicked thread.  I'm afraid od what I might find there.<br />
<br />

Sorry for going off-topic slightly, and no offence meant, but I think that's quite a rude and frankly quite offensive assumption to make about those who post in that thread.  I think you'll find far more vitriol elsewhere.

#1244 craftymiss

craftymiss

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 11:57 AM

I dont understand why you think SHk has said anything 'rude' or 'offensive' she's just stated that the behaviour at the show was 'entirely quiet' so she could concentrate on what, in her opinion, was a 'heavy going' musical.  Maybe posting this on the Wicked thread would cause people to be angry as they dont like to think the Wicked audience would be so quiet; I can not comment as I have never seen the show (along with Shrek and Oz it isnt a show that appeals to me partly because I do not think I'd like the particular audience; SHk has informed me this isnt the case).  Also the problem with posting on specific show threads to voice a well judged opinion (and I'm not talking about vitriolic attacks) can offend "exuberant" fans who will jump at you if you criticise their favourite performer.  I sometimes (not always but sometimes) find it difficult to state such matters because you know there will be a barrage of unthought through comments thrown at you. I suspect the poster is trying to avoid this. I have always found SHk's comments well judged and fair.Off topic for this thread but on the thread about the board being 'quiet' I must say that Twitter & another new theatre website seems to be where many are posting about shows and performers; so far no one being 'rude' or 'offensive'. Just a thought

#1245 SHk

SHk

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 07:43 PM

Thank you, craftymiss.  I can only say "exactly!".  All I wanted to say was that I enjoyed the audience's good behaviour, but not necessarily the show itself.  So I just left a commnet in this thread alone so as not to offend anyone.  That's all.

#1246 poster J

poster J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1016 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 09:47 PM

View PostSHk, on 21 March 2012 - 07:43 PM, said:

&lt;br /&gt;Thank you, craftymiss.  I can only say &amp;quot;exactly!&amp;quot;.  All I wanted to say was that I enjoyed the audience's good behaviour, but not necessarily the show itself.  So I just left a commnet in this thread alone so as not to offend anyone.  That's all.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;<br /><br />

I don't see how you could think posting your opinion in the Wicked thread could be offensive, that's the nature of a forum, take the good and the bad.  What I found offensive was the insinuation that the people who post in the Wicked forum were in some way nasty, intolerant or had done something to make you 'afraid' of what you might find there.  Maybe you just didn't realise that that was an implication from what you posted, and I accept that you didn't intend it, but that's what I read from that post.

Certainly saying you're afraid of what you'd find in a thread has nothing to do with a quiet audience, so I hope you can see why I wondered what on earth you meant by that bit of your post and thought it had a derogatory implication

And craftymiss, I'm not sure what the relevance of the other websites you refer to is, I simply made a logical implication from the wording I read on a post here, that's all.  Whether it was referring to exuberant fans alone is irrelevant, as it was a generalisation that could be equally applicable to anyone who posts in that thread, the reasonable people included, which is why I found it unsavoury.

#1247 SHk

SHk

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 11:53 PM

Rude and offensive, I most certainly didn't mean.

But I do admit to imagining that there are many many people who post on Wicked's thread (never opened it myself), considering how often it is updated, comapred to other long-running shows'. I have also read, most likely in this forum, that there are many loyal fans of Wicked performers, and through my experience in other threads, posting negative comments can attract vicious attacks. So I thought I'd better not to say that I didn't like the show itself (though I found the cast all excellent).

Is it really that bad??? As I have written several times in the past, I never post a comment merely to offend people.

#1248 poster J

poster J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1016 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 12:58 AM

View PostSHk, on 21 March 2012 - 11:53 PM, said:

I have also read, most likely in this forum, that there are many loyal fans of Wicked performers, and through my experience in other threads, posting negative comments can attract vicious attacks.

Most of the Wicked fans on here don't like many of the loyal 'fans' who are obsessed by particular performers or the show,they really do take things to extremes.  I've not found the thread in general worse than many others on this forum, and it doesn't get updated anywhere near as frequently these days, though it is still a popular show.

Is it really that bad??? As I have written several times in the past, I never post a comment merely to offend people.

No, it's not, I hoped that I was wrong in the implication I made from your post, and am glad I was, but my problem was really just that such an implication was possible.  Glad it wasn't meant that way.

#1249 SHk

SHk

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 09:25 AM

PosterJ, Thank you for your understanding.

#1250 QuincyMD

QuincyMD

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 10:23 AM

At "absent friends" last night and the two sat behind me spent the interval discussing why one of them wasnt wanting to get married to her partner - lets just say it involved different levels of libido.

Not really what i was expecting.
Which way did he go McGill?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users