#1251 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 12:26 PM

View PostQuincyMD, on 30 March 2012 - 10:23 AM, said:

At "absent friends" last night and the two sat behind me spent the interval discussing why one of them wasnt wanting to get married to her partner - lets just say it involved different levels of libido.

Not really what i was expecting.

It does sound rather more fun than the play...

#1252 fringefan

fringefan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 02:13 PM

At a ballet matinee yesterday, I had the misfortune to sit next to the most fidgety child I have ever encountered.  Throughout the hour-long first act she literally did not sit still for a single second - she was constantly twitching, moving heavily about (causing my seat to reverberate), wriggling, etc.  At one point she even unlaced and relaced her trainers!  The accompanying female (mother?) said not a word to remonstrate with or restrain her so in desperation, after about 50 minutes, I leaned over and whispered "Could you please sit still?".  The adult must have noticed but did not apologise to me at the interval, yet how could she not have known how hugely disruptive this child was?  And why take such children to that sort of event anyway?  She wasn't even a particularly young child:  I'd have guessed 8 or 9, yet her younger sibling (?) sat on the other side of the adult, behaving perfectly.  If nothing else I'd have thought it only fair for them to swap places for the second act, so that someone else could share the misery!  And even assuming they got some sort of discount, ballet is hardly cheap entertainment.

#1253 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5142 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 04:01 PM

I really sympathise but I suspect that if the other child was perectly behaved then it wasn't anything the mother could do . Maybe the wriggly child has a behavious /attention problem and the mother knows that remonstating only makes it worse. We can't take on the social therapy of the nation so you did what you could.

#1254 Zippy

Zippy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 02:51 AM

Was sat beside an idiot of a woman at The Duchess of Malfi on Friday who 5 minutes into it decided she was bored (she had the attention span of a gnat!) and it would be more interesting to sort out her photos on her phone! Well after very politely whispering to her to turn it off, she looks at me and asks "why?" to which I replied in a louder whisper that she was in a theatre and to have some respect. Unbelievable! She and her idiot husband left at interval thankfully. Some people are just stupid beyond belief!

#1255 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2086 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 10:39 AM

Meanwhile in Sunderland ...

http://www.dailymail...o=feeds-newsxml
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#1256 Zippy

Zippy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 04:21 PM

I remember seeing Tupele Dorgu tweeting about this. It's not the first time fighting has broken out at a show. Happened a couple of months ago at Phantom in Her Majesty's where 2 women got into a fight. Manners and respect for others in general seem to be completely alien to some people and theatre etiquette seems to be a thing of the past.

#1257 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 12:51 PM

View PostZippy, on 09 April 2012 - 04:21 PM, said:

I remember seeing Tupele Dorgu tweeting about this. It's not the first time fighting has broken out at a show. Happened a couple of months ago at Phantom in Her Majesty's where 2 women got into a fight. Manners and respect for others in general seem to be completely alien to some people and theatre etiquette seems to be a thing of the past.

Yes, it was so much better in the good old days...

http://en.wikipedia....stor_Place_Riot

"The Astor Place Riot occurred on May 10, 1849 at the now-demolished Astor Opera House [1] in Manhattan, New York City and left at least 25 dead and more than 120 injured.[2] It was the deadliest to that date of a number of civic disturbances in New York City which generally pitted immigrants and nativists against each other, or together against the upper classes who controlled the city's police and the state militia.

The riot marked the first time a state militia had been called out and had shot into a crowd of citizens, and it led to the creation of the first police force armed with deadly weapons,[3] yet its genesis was a dispute between Edwin Forrest, one of the best-known American actors of that time, and William Charles Macready, a similarly notable English actor, which largely revolved around which of them was better than the other at acting the major roles of Shakespeare."

#1258 wotsit

wotsit

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 10:11 AM

I saw Shrek a couple of weeks ago.  We were sat in the circle, all was going well until a man across the aisle from me fell asleep and started snoring!  He was snoring so loud I could him over the cast singing.  Eventually he snored himself awake, fumbled around for his coat and stumbled up the stairs to leave.  Was very distracting!

#1259 Zippy

Zippy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 12:05 PM

Did nobody around him bother to wake him if he was so loud? Looks like it didn't bother any of them I guess or maybe they thought it was part of the show!!

#1260 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2086 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 12:12 PM

Another jaw-dropping story, this time from the Hampstead Downstairs...

http://www.guardian....-about-audience
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users