2316 replies to this topic

#1261 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5142 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 12:09 PM

Blimey. Was the guy deaf, I mean actually hard of hearing , hence the loudness which when combined with utter insensitivity and boredom might account for the crime?  Did the staff let him back in. Why doesn't the writer tell us the end of the tale?

#1262 cat123

cat123

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3357 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 01:51 PM

I've had a fight happen in front of me in the upper circle at Wimbledon before. It didn't quite come to blows but was very loud and definitely drink related.

#1263 cat123

cat123

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3357 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 02:06 PM

Singing, dancing ALL the choreography, loud obnoxious laughing at EVERYTHING and constant trips to the loo from a group of girls in the 2nd row at Rock of Ages Saturday night really spoiled my evening. They were drunk and had clearly seen it before and wanted everyone to know it. Aparently someone in the cast complained about them in the interval. I certainly wanted to punch them all in the face...!

The "look at me" attitude from some people towards the cast when they sit front row annoys me. If an actor knows me and spots me they might acknowledge me and it's nice when it happens, but I certainly don't go out of my way to get myself noticed and especially not at the expense of other audience members around me.

#1264 Caz

Caz

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • Interests:Theatre, walking around London

Posted 23 April 2012 - 04:33 PM

I remember seeing One Man Two Guvnors with James Corden. Just as it started 3 people (2 women and 1 man) decided to talk about what they were going to eat at a restaurant after the show, l had no choice but to listen to them as they were quite loud and everyone around me kept tutting, well l let it carry on for 5 minutes, then just turned around and said in a very nice voice! lol, excuse me l hope you don't mind me saying, but l didn't spend 60 for a ticket to sit and hear all 3 of you deciding on what you want for dinner, l couldn't care less and l assume no one else does either, so please shut up so we can listen to the play or go for an early dinner.... they never said a word, but were quiet from that moment onwards, the lady sitting next to me said very loudly... well done you!

I have to admit normally l wouldn't say anything...but sometimes enough is enough and why should you have to sit through this type of behaviour, you should demand your money back or they throw them out!!

On that note, have a nice evening whatever your doing

Best wishes
Carol

#1265 cat123

cat123

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3357 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 06:48 PM

I'm a great one for moaning on here/to the person I'm at the show with/the FOH staff in the interval, but I'm far too British in these situations to actually tell them to shush myself.

#1266 Weez

Weez

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2632 posts
  • Interests:Theatre. :D

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:24 PM

I don't often ask people to be quiet, but when I do, they're often rude enough to argue about it instead of shutting up. I'm too scared to bother most of the time in case I make things worse. :(
Notes from the Earlham Street Gutter
http://earlhamstreet...r.blogspot.com/

#1267 CaityGlinda

CaityGlinda

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 726 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 06:49 AM

Is 'sshh' a common universally understood thing to say? I was at Wicked a few weeks ago and there was a Chinese couple sat in front of us who just chatted all the way through Act One. I'm never one to say much in these situations as I'm scared they'll shout back, but I tapped the man on the shoulder to tell him to shush and he didn't even bother turning round. I tapped him again and he turned around with a very annoyed look on his face, I said a simple yet stern 'sshh' and he didn't seem to understand the gesture. Remained chatting for the rest of the show.
[West End] Wicked x7 . The Phantom Of The Opera x4 . Les Miserables x4 . Oliver! x3 .The Lion King x2 . We Will Rock You x2 . Sister Act x2 . Blood Brothers x2 . Hair x2 . War Horse x2 . Love Never Dies . Jersey Boys . Avenue Q . Hairspray . The 39 Steps . Legally Blonde . Mamma Mia! . Deathtrap . The Wizard of Oz . Ghost the Musical . Billy Elliot . Singin' In The Rain . Top Hat . Sweeney Todd . Matilda . Loserville .
[Broadway]  Next to Normal . Wicked . Anything Goes . End of the Rainbow .
[UK Tour]  West Side Story (Salford) . Joseph (Sheffield) . Oklahoma! (Sheffield) . Blood Brothers (Sheffield) . Avenue Q (Sheffield) . Jekyll and Hyde (Sheffield) . Tell Me On A Sunday (Sheffield) . Journey's End (Sheffield) . The Phantom Of The Opera (Leeds) .
[Regional] Hamlet (Sheffield Crucible) . Othello (Sheffield Crucible) . Company (Sheffield Crucible) . My Fair Lady (Sheffield Crucible) . Oliver (Sheffield Crucible)

#1268 Zippy

Zippy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 08:04 PM

Without trying to sound too racist when I say this but this is a common problem with Far East visitors. I've encountered it A LOT especially at Phantom of the Opera. It seems normal practice to them to chat loudly during shows and to exchange photos on their phones and giggle a lot during the show. A lot of them have no English so don't understand the instructions before the show starts. So annoying but as soon as I see it happening around me I quickly nip it in the bud before it gets out of hand! You should also complain to the theatre management if your shussing is getting you nowhere.

#1269 hitster

hitster

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 07:02 PM

The old Benny Hill R and L swap over springs to mind when you have to communicate to Far Eastern people!

#1270 ellie_y

ellie_y

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 11:25 AM

I was at Much Ado About Nothing at Wyndham's last year. had this American tourist couple sitting next to me, who spoiled my evening completely. They acted like they were sitting on a sofa in their living room and having a very chatty TV dinner. Enjoying proper Subway set menus, they talked to each other about places they'd been on the day, their hotel room, dinner, and so on. The annoying couple only shut up when David Tennant was on the stage.

The most horrible thing happened when they finished their foot long sandwiches. The guy began to put his left hand into his trousers and scratch his, well, between his legs several times, and then, smell his fingers constantly!(why the hell?!) This guy kept doing this all the way through Act1. What should've I done? asking could you please stop sniffing at your fingers? I only felt like crying. During the intermission I had to describe this disgusting behavior to the male house manager to reason why I wanted to move to another seat and it was another embarrassing experience.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users