2316 replies to this topic

#1271 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2086 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 02:17 PM

Bad behaviour in the audience celebrity special (allegedly) ...

http://www.guardian....itic-opera-spat
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#1272 Rustythesteamtrain

Rustythesteamtrain

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 05:53 PM

Ok Many years ago in Bristol watching a pantamine
i know its ok for loads of people to go a little bit crazy during these typs of shows.
One kid blowing a whistle was running everything and pissing off the cast as well as the whole theatre

Paul O Grady comes on as Lilly Savage glares up to the gods shouts If you don't stop Blowing that Bloody Whistle i will shove it down one end and pull it out the other.

The whole house loved it and said whistle was not heard again

#1273 Rustythesteamtrain

Rustythesteamtrain

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 06:31 PM

Old news i know but this problem has not crept up just thought id share

Back in 2007 anther Problem Hit Bristol Dose Pigeon Poo count
http://www.dailymail...-droppings.html

#1274 craftymiss

craftymiss

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 657 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 12:16 PM

On Saturday I had to have words with a lady sat next to me at the Mayflower theatre Southampton during the matinee performance of Oliver.  The opening number Food Glorious Food was accompanied by her singing full blast along with the cast.  I let it ride until the interval when I quietly said "I hope you dont mind me saying but do you realise you are singing?", "Oh am I, never mind" she replied. I said "In fact I do mind I've spent a lot of money for my ticket and I'm here to hear and see the cast not you". She managed to stay quiet for As Long As He Needs Me when she then started belting things out again! The sound in the Mayflower is bad enough as it is so this woman really ruined it for me!

#1275 Zippy

Zippy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 09:34 PM

Wow, there are some really thick people out there. It's worth complaining to the duty manager and then making a complaint in writing to the theatre manager. Usually results in free ticket to another performance.

#1276 dollierocker

dollierocker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 10:13 AM

I was sitting directly in front of Samantha Fox and her partner at the We Will Rock You 10th Anniversary performance on Monday.  They chatted to each other, throatily, the ENTIRE way through.  Not even an attempt at whispering.  At one point during Act II, Samantha even declared that she was "f***ing bored now".  Disgraceful - not to mention massively disrespectful to the performers.  I'm willing to bet they hadn't paid a penny for their tickets, either.

At one point, a lady in my row turned round and pleaded for them to keep the noise down.  In reply, Sam's partner just pointed and laughed contemptuously.  I don't care who someone is (or was), and I know it was a gala night so everyone was, to an exent, more pumped up than usual - but nobody has the right to ruin the night of everyone else around them.  A night at a public theatre does not equal a night in front of the telly in one's own living room.

I haven't been so angry since.. oh, last Friday, when a man in front of me at Starlight Express whipped out his Blackberry and took a phone call during the climactic title track.

I'm beginning to think that private boxes are perhaps the only way forward!

#1277 Zippy

Zippy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 12:15 PM

Unfortunately it's a mixture of a lot of things. Selfishness, lack of respect and consideration, short attention spans. People need to complain more. If a polite "can you please stop talking" or "please stop using your phone" or "please stop singing along" doesn't work, complain to the duty manager, get his/her name and follow up with a letter of complaint. Theatres also need to have staff in the auditorium during the performance. A quick shush or a flash from their torch works wonders. Disruptive people need to be removed if a warning isn't heeded. People need to act rather than sit through it, have their evening ruined and moan about it after.

#1278 Priscilla's heel

Priscilla's heel

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 09:58 AM

View PostZippy, on 15 May 2012 - 09:34 PM, said:

Wow, there are some really thick people out there. It's worth complaining to the duty manager and then making a complaint in writing to the theatre manager. Usually results in free ticket to another performance.

This kind of attitude really bugs me. Yes if you have a complaint then bring it up with a member of staff on the night and hopefully they can help to resolve the situation. Complaining afterwards means they can not help to solve your problem and people should not just complain in order to get free tickets, I find that very cheeky!

#1279 Zippy

Zippy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 10:19 AM

If your complaint is not resolved to your satisfaction on the night (by complaining to the duty manager) then of course you should bring it higher up and request a ticket to another performance. How is that cheeky if your evening was ruined? Sounds pretty obvious really. That's part of the problem here. People are so reluctant to complain and assert their rights as they see it as being cheeky. Of course complaining afterwards can help resolve your problem. Do you also think it's cheeky to send back a meal in a restaurant that doesn't meet your satisfaction or return an item to a store & seek a replacement that doesn't meet your expectations?

#1280 Priscilla's heel

Priscilla's heel

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 11:38 AM

No one has a "right" to be offered free tickets. In your original post you seemed to be implying that people should write in just to get free tickets. Yes I do think there are situations where customers should be offered the chance to come back, but not every complaint deserves that and it is certainly obvious when reading some complaint letters that some people are trying to make a mountain out of a molehill in order to receive something for free.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users