armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 01:23 PM

View Postxanderl, on 27 June 2012 - 12:22 PM, said:

I think Jan is still around, but like Dr Who he has regenerated

I was thinking that while reading about the RSC's latest effort...

#1363 Kathryn2

Kathryn2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1255 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 09:46 PM

Terrible behaviour at Theatre Delicatessan Henry V I saw thursday, by a group of teenagers who just did not shut up, despite most of the audience and some cast members glaring at them! I have no idea why they were there, they clearly didn't know the play 'cos they even talked during the epilogue. No teacher present, either.

#1364 richard2711

richard2711

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 09:00 AM

The other night I was say front row and there was a woman further down the row with a box of Roses. She kept putting the wrappers back into the box and then having to sift through them all in order to get another one. Her friend wasn't that familiar with the wrappers so kept saying "Which one is that again??" rather loudly! They were also critiquing the performances as they were happening in front of them, with no attempt to keep the volume down so some of the cast probably heard! It was like they thought they were in a cinema. They should be banned from front row in the future.

#1365 The Glenbuck Laird

The Glenbuck Laird

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 07:11 PM

View Postrichard2711, on 14 July 2012 - 09:00 AM, said:

They should be banned from theatre in the future.

Fixed it for you

#1366 richard2711

richard2711

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 08:05 AM

View PostThe Glenbuck Laird, on 14 July 2012 - 07:11 PM, said:

Fixed it for you

Much better!!

#1367 SHk

SHk

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 06:39 PM

Last night at a ballet (Titian 2012) at ROH, I was told by an elderly lady, who is also a ballet regular, not to whoop at the curtain call as it wasn't appropreate.

As she always complains about almost everything, I didn't take much notice. And I was glad that it was me rather than a ballet debutant. Such a complaint could well have put a first-timer off ballet. However, if the majority of the general public feel it inappropreate for the audience to whoop at the curtain call of a ballet, I might feel obliged to stop doing so.

Admittedly, when I started seeing ballet 20 years ago, whooping wasn't as common as it is now. But now many more people whoops and sometimes whistles rather than bravos, especially at contemporary ballets.

In each field of performing arts, there are certain protcols, aren't there? For example, at opera, when a singer is particulary appreciated, the audience stomp their feet at curtain call. But if we did this at a musical, the meaning might get interpreted wrongly.

Should we stick to bravos and clapping at ballet whether classical or contemporary? Or we should feel free to show our appreciation in whatever way we feel comfortable?

#1368 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2542 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 06:49 PM

View PostSHk, on 15 July 2012 - 06:39 PM, said:

But now many more people whoops and sometimes whistles rather than bravos, especially at contemporary ballets.

What, no ululation? Disgraceful!

#1369 Front Row Dress

Front Row Dress

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 10:21 PM

Blooming heck SHk at curtain call? Do what you want. Last night at Timon of Athens, two phones went off during second act, now that is annoying, but do what you want during curtain call.
www.frontrowdress.com

#1370 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2096 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 09:19 AM

Absolutely agree, respond how you want at a curtain call! If you were whooping during the performance that would be different!
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

1 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users