2316 replies to this topic

#1401 craftymiss

craftymiss

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 07:22 PM

My kids have been going to the theatre since they were 2yrs old.  Apart from Pantos where everyone gets a bit excited my kids behave impecably; I wouldnt allow them not to. They are now 14, 16 & 17 and often comment on the poor behaviour of other children in theatres. My middle child has told people to 'shush' before; they always seem surprised that a child is telling someone to be quiet, but he's of the opinion that the tickets cost money & therefore we should be able to enjoy the show

#1402 Tettekete

Tettekete

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • Interests:Theatre and travel

Posted 23 September 2012 - 01:55 PM

A few months ago at Wicked, I was sitting in the middle of the front row of the stalls with my sister. During Act 2, the woman next to me pulled out her ipad and proceeded to blind me with the screen. During No Good Deed, I might add. Just... why?
Seen (theatre): Once (London x 2), Wicked (Scheveningen, The Netherlands x6), Wicked (London x 22), We Will Rock You (London x3), Les Miserables (London x 1), The Phantom of the Opera (London x1), Rock of Ages (London x 1), Romeo et Juliette (Takarazuka Revue, Japan x 5), Studio54 (Takarazuka Revue, Japan, x1), For Whom The Bell Tolls (Takarazuka Revue, Japan, x1), Nova Bossa Nova/Meguriai wa Futatabi (Takarazuka Revue, Japan, x2), Nijinsky (Takarazuka Revue, Japan, x3), 9 to 5: The Musical (UK Tour, Sunderland x1), RENT in Concert (Newcastle x1), Singin' In The Rain (UK Tour, Sunderland x 1)

Seen (concerts, etc): Willemijn Verkaik "As I Am" solo concert at the AFAS Circustheater (2012), West End Eurovision 2013, Rachel Tucker at the St James Theatre studio, Scott Alan at the O2, Andrew Lippa at the St James Theatre

#1403 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 03:44 AM

View PostTettekete, on 23 September 2012 - 01:55 PM, said:

A few months ago at Wicked, I was sitting in the middle of the front row of the stalls with my sister. During Act 2, the woman next to me pulled out her ipad and proceeded to blind me with the screen. During No Good Deed, I might add. Just... why?

Presumably you just asked her to switch it off - no problem. It's when a phone / ipad is just out of reach that it's causes hassle. You did ask her to switch it off, didn't you? Otherwise I imagine the song was ruined for the entire circle.

#1404 Gavin

Gavin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 10:05 AM

I know you don't expect a proper 'theatre' audience at rock of ages but yesterday evening I had two ladies next to me, one who was translating the show to her friend at full volume. Then two German guys behind me who were repeating every joke and just having constant full volume conversations despite me turning around and asking them to be quiet. SO annoying. :(

#1405 wickedlover

wickedlover

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 09:12 AM

Thursday I was at both Shrek and Wicked.

At Shrek, I had an Indian family in the row behind me who just continued to talk, at least 5 people asked them to be quiet, but each time they were only quiet for a couple of minutes, and then started chatting again.  A FOH member also asked them to stop talking, but they just kept chatting to each other...they had also been shopping and had big boxes sitting on their laps, and anytime they moved we got hit on the back of the head....not good, and quite rude.

At Wicked, a woman behind me wouldn't stop singing along, it was very distracting. I had my friend with me seeing the show for her first time, and she said it ruined the night for her, again even after politely asking to stop singing, she continued. No offense, I paid to listen to Rachel Tucker sing Defying Gravity not some random (and slightly out of tune) audience member.

People really do not consider the other audience member around them.
LONDON
[2004] Mary Poppins - Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
[2008] The Sound of Music - Wicked
[2009] Oliver! - Billy Elliot - Grease - Wicked - Avenue Q - Sister Act - Wicked - The Rise and Fall of Little Voice
[2010] Oliver! - Sister Act - The Lion King - Wicked - Sister Act
[2011] Legally Blonde - Jersey Boys - Shrek the Musical - Wicked - The Wizard of Oz - Shrek the Musical - Jersey Boys - Ghost the Musical - The Wizard of Oz - Shrek the Musical
[2012] Ghost the Musical - The Wizard of Oz - Matilda the Musical - Shrek the Musical - Wicked - Ghost the Musical - The Lion King - Les Miserables - Jest End - Shrek the Musical - Wicked - Wicked - The Woman in Black - Matilda the Musical
[2013] The Bodyguard - Wicked - Matilda the Musical - We Will Rock You - The Woman in Black - Wicked - The Book of Mormon - Les Miserables - Charlie & the Chocolate Factory - Billy Elliot - The Bodyguard - Wicked - Wicked
[2014] The Bodyguard - The Book of Mormon - Wicked - Matilda the Musical - Blithe Spirit - We Will Rock You - Wicked - Miss Saigon - Les Miserables - An Evening With Julie Andrews - Let The Right One In - The Bodyguard

BELFAST
[2004] Joseph (UK Tour)
[2007] Cats (UK Tour)
[2009] Evita (UK Tour x2) - Fame (UK Tour) - Chicago (UK Tour)
[2010] The Sound of Music (UK Tour x3)
[2011] Spamalot (UK Tour) - Avenue Q (UK Tour x2) - Dancing Shoes: The George Best Story - Joseph (UK Tour)
[2012] The King and I (UK Tour) - Grease (UK Tour) - Blood Brothers (UK Tour) - Legally Blonde (UK Tour x2) -   The Mousetrap (UK Tour) - Jesus Christ Superstar (Arena Tour) - Chicago (UK Tour) - One Man, Two Guvnors (UK Tour)
[2013] Soul Sister (UK Tour) - High Society (UK Tour) - Hairspray (UK Tour) - We Will Rock You (10th Anniversary Arena Tour) - 9 to 5 (UK Tour) - Priscilla, Queen of the Desert (UK Tour) - Evita (UK Tour x3) - Thriller Live (UK Tour) - Joseph (UK Tour) - Cats (UK Tour x2)
[2014] Singin' In The Rain (UK Tour) - Birdsong (UK Tour) - The Mousetrap (UK Tour) - Shrek the Musical (UK Tour) - One Man, Two Guvnors (UK Tour)

MANCHESTER
[2011] Mamma Mia (Int Tour) - Ghost the Musical (World Premier)
[2012] The Lion King (UK Tour)
[2013] Ghost the Musical (UK Tour) - Wicked (UK Tour x2)

DUBLIN
[2011] Sister Act (UK Tour)
[2012] The Phantom of the Opera (UK Tour)
[2013] Wicked (UK Tour)

#1406 Courfeyrac

Courfeyrac

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 11:36 AM

Saw last weeks Wednesday matinee of 20th Century Boy at Coventry's Belgrade Theatre.

Perfect behaviour from the twenty or so people in the circle but not so much from one of the followspot operators in a box on the same level who spent all the quiet bits of the show, when his services weren't required, rustling his rather loud packet of sweets and more engaged with his distracting, bright mobile phone.

So it's not just audiences who lack a little theatre etiquette....

#1407 Richey

Richey

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 12:24 PM

At JCS on Sunday (arena not quite the same as a theatre I know) two empty seats next to me until half way through the first act when a couple arrived late. They then proceeded to chat through most of the songs and were the first to leave as soon as the music stopped. They returned just as Act two was about to start laden with drinks and again chatted loudly especially during Gethsamene, totally unaware of the glares from myself and the surrounding people. I really cdon't know why people bother spending what was quite a large sum of money for seats when they then show very little interest in the show!

#1408 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 04:11 PM

View PostRichey, on 02 October 2012 - 12:24 PM, said:

At JCS on Sunday (arena not quite the same as a theatre I know) two empty seats next to me until half way through the first act when a couple arrived late. They then proceeded to chat through most of the songs and were the first to leave as soon as the music stopped. They returned just as Act two was about to start laden with drinks and again chatted loudly especially during Gethsamene, totally unaware of the glares from myself and the surrounding people. I really cdon't know why people bother spending what was quite a large sum of money for seats when they then show very little interest in the show!

Presumably you asked them to be quiet and alerted an usher, if not during the first half, during the interval? If not, why not?

#1409 igb

igb

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 10:26 PM

Twelfth Night, RSC, tonight.  A big school night, which meant that about half the audience were excited teenagers, many of them young men with hipster glasses.

Not a phone, not a noise, not a disturbance: just quick, appropriate laughter and massive applause.  They had a great evening, and were a credit to their schools.  I hope they'll be back:  the RSC needs their youth.

Meanwhile, around me, the RSC elderly contingent were their usual boorish selves.  The bloke behind me said "here comes a good bit" before, well, the good bits, and then followed each scene with a judgement as to whether it was up to the standards of other TNs he'd seen.  A group to my side cooed over each entrance and excitedly told each other what was happening on stage.  And a group to the other side "whispered" (being deaf, this was what most of us would call "shouted") plot points to each other.  One of them was loudly complaining about the place being full of "children" --- next time, dearie, why don't you shut up, look around you, and behave as well as those "children", not like the noisy, ignorant sods you were sat with.

#1410 Duncan

Duncan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 05:35 PM

View Postigb, on 02 October 2012 - 10:26 PM, said:

Twelfth Night, RSC, tonight.  A big school night, which meant that about half the audience were excited teenagers, many of them young men with hipster glasses.

Not a phone, not a noise, not a disturbance: just quick, appropriate laughter and massive applause.  They had a great evening, and were a credit to their schools.  I hope they'll be back:  the RSC needs their youth.

Meanwhile, around me, the RSC elderly contingent were their usual boorish selves.  The bloke behind me said "here comes a good bit" before, well, the good bits, and then followed each scene with a judgement as to whether it was up to the standards of other TNs he'd seen.  A group to my side cooed over each entrance and excitedly told each other what was happening on stage.  And a group to the other side "whispered" (being deaf, this was what most of us would call "shouted") plot points to each other.  One of them was loudly complaining about the place being full of "children" --- next time, dearie, why don't you shut up, look around you, and behave as well as those "children", not like the noisy, ignorant sods you were sat with.

For this, you win the Internet.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users