#1411 Jon

Jon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1390 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 04:32 PM

View PostGavin, on 24 September 2012 - 10:05 AM, said:

I know you don't expect a proper 'theatre' audience at rock of ages but yesterday evening I had two ladies next to me, one who was translating the show to her friend at full volume. Then two German guys behind me who were repeating every joke and just having constant full volume conversations despite me turning around and asking them to be quiet. SO annoying. :(

Translating really gets on my wick and not just in theatre but at places like the cinema as well, I do understand that not everybody speaks or understands English as a first language but surely you can't enjoy a show if you don't have a grasp of what is going on?

#1412 abs2512

abs2512

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 05:04 PM

I was at Singing In The Rain last night - lovely seats right in the middle of the stalls, until 3 chinese ladies sat in the row in front.  Before the show started they were all messing around with their mobile phones, playing games, texting, taking picture ect but as soon as the show started they were chatting, loudly (I think only one of them understood English - so we had a broken commentary of what was being said), because they were talking their heads were constantly moving (head bobbing is the term I use) which meant that I and my sister were constantly on the move to.  At one point during the first half I tapped the girl on the shoulder, put my finger to my lip as a jesture for her to be quiet, alas, that didn't seem to work.  At the interval, my sister and I moved to the back row of the stalls as there are some empty seats and suffice to say we really enjoyed the rest of the show.

I was also at War Horse over the weekend - all I will say is Pringles Crisps and crunching of boiled sweets - all the way through :(
Titanic, Barnum, The Colour Purple, Passion Play,, The American Plan, Merrilly We Roll Along, High Society, Bullets and Daffidils, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory,  Pride and Prdjudice, Let It Be, Macbeth, Billy Holliday, A Chorus Line, Salad Days, Tailor Made Man,Privates on Parade, Lift, Cabaret, Impotent, Rocky Horror Show, Kiss Me Kate, Loserville, Cinderella, Boy Meets Boy, Constellation, Victor/Victoria, Daddy Long Legs, Ragtime, I Love You Because, Singing in the Rain : Legally Blonde : La Cage Aux Faux : Sunset Boulevard : Million Dollar Quartet : Avenue Q : Much Ado About Nothing : Wicked : Lord Arthur Saville Crime : Blood Brothers : Grease : Mary Poppins : Thrill Me : The Exonerated : Flare Path : Hedder Gabler : Lend Me A Tenor : Crazy for You : Dirty Dancing : The Producers :Jersey Boys : Matilda : Sound of Music : Joseph : The Doctors Dilema :  Volcano : Soul Sister : Never Forget : Ghost : Les Miserables : Love Never Dies : Phantom of the Opera : Mack and Mable : Sweeney Todd : Chicago : Hair : Hairspray : Abigails Party : Rent : Our Boys : The Last Session: War Horse : The Kings Speech : The Wizard of Oz : Cats : Starlight Express : The Phantom of the Opera : Mamma Mia : The Lion King : Love Story : The Tempest : Billy Elliot : The 39 Steps : Oliver : Top Hat : Rock of Ages : One Man Two Govnors : Shrek : Dreamboats and Petticoats : All the Fun of the Fair : Burn the Floor : Betwixt : Ordinary Days : State Fair : Carousel : End of the Rainbow : Cool Hand Luke : The Book of Mormon : Once : Guys and Dolls : South Pacific : Sister Act : Priscilla,

#1413 FireFingers

FireFingers

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 05:45 PM

Pringles are better than normal crisps imo, because there isn't any rustling.

#1414 abs2512

abs2512

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 03:19 AM

View PostFireFingers, on 09 October 2012 - 05:45 PM, said:

Pringles are better than normal crisps imo, because there isn't any rustling.

Very true FireFingers, although in the quiet confines of a  silent theatre the continuous 'crunch' of multiple Pringles being bitten into is almost as annoying ;)
Titanic, Barnum, The Colour Purple, Passion Play,, The American Plan, Merrilly We Roll Along, High Society, Bullets and Daffidils, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory,  Pride and Prdjudice, Let It Be, Macbeth, Billy Holliday, A Chorus Line, Salad Days, Tailor Made Man,Privates on Parade, Lift, Cabaret, Impotent, Rocky Horror Show, Kiss Me Kate, Loserville, Cinderella, Boy Meets Boy, Constellation, Victor/Victoria, Daddy Long Legs, Ragtime, I Love You Because, Singing in the Rain : Legally Blonde : La Cage Aux Faux : Sunset Boulevard : Million Dollar Quartet : Avenue Q : Much Ado About Nothing : Wicked : Lord Arthur Saville Crime : Blood Brothers : Grease : Mary Poppins : Thrill Me : The Exonerated : Flare Path : Hedder Gabler : Lend Me A Tenor : Crazy for You : Dirty Dancing : The Producers :Jersey Boys : Matilda : Sound of Music : Joseph : The Doctors Dilema :  Volcano : Soul Sister : Never Forget : Ghost : Les Miserables : Love Never Dies : Phantom of the Opera : Mack and Mable : Sweeney Todd : Chicago : Hair : Hairspray : Abigails Party : Rent : Our Boys : The Last Session: War Horse : The Kings Speech : The Wizard of Oz : Cats : Starlight Express : The Phantom of the Opera : Mamma Mia : The Lion King : Love Story : The Tempest : Billy Elliot : The 39 Steps : Oliver : Top Hat : Rock of Ages : One Man Two Govnors : Shrek : Dreamboats and Petticoats : All the Fun of the Fair : Burn the Floor : Betwixt : Ordinary Days : State Fair : Carousel : End of the Rainbow : Cool Hand Luke : The Book of Mormon : Once : Guys and Dolls : South Pacific : Sister Act : Priscilla,

#1415 musicals fan

musicals fan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 08:46 AM

Since we have some self-confessed theatre crisp and ice cream eaters here, I am puzzled.  In the two hours or so that you attend a theatre would you normally have eaten crisps/ ice creams or quaffed water? At home? I find it quite easy to eat and drink before going into the auditorium or during the interval and never eat or drink inside.  My only exception would be lozenges if I have a cough.
Hate to be a spoilsport!

#1416 Matthew Winn

Matthew Winn

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2898 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 02:58 PM

I often drink water, but that's because I have intermittent stomach problems for which the discomfort is greatly alleviated with water. However, I'm not aware of any medical issue that requires someone to continuously eat food that is noisy, smelly, or otherwise unnecessarily attention-capturing.

(For the purposes of this thread I don't count being an ill-mannered sack of crap as a medical issue.)
I have always hated eggs. I remember back when I was a sperm I tried to head-butt one. It did not end well.

#1417 Kathryn2

Kathryn2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1249 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 03:09 PM

Although I quite agree about smelly and noisy food during a show (the ice cream is meant to be consumed during the interval, surely?!), I have to say complaining about water being drunk is a bit much!

Would you rather sit through an epic coughing fit?!

#1418 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5142 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 04:30 PM

Crisps! Who eats crisps in the theatre? I mean when the play is on. Had to stare at a young un the other week who had a bag of crisps poised at the begining of play. It becomes obvious when the crunch begins even to the perp. But some people battle on crunchedy crunch and rattle the bag.

#1419 FireFingers

FireFingers

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 05:11 PM

I wonder how much money theatres make on the food they sell? Obviously not a patch on the ticket cost but still a few pennies.

Would be nice if only non-caffeinated drinks were allowed in, due to the hiss of them being opened. And I agree, coughing is a real problem, and water greatly alleviates the need to cough, so keep the water flowing.

#1420 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5142 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 10:26 PM

Actually I think there is a good profit on comestibles.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users