2323 replies to this topic

#1421 Kathryn2

Kathryn2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1255 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 07:44 AM

I remember seeing the RSC Hamlet at the Novello, and sitting next to someone who was eating a bag of peanuts. During those pin-drop quiet moments when Hamlet pauses in his soliloquies what I could hear was 'crunch, crunch, crunch' as he munched his way through another nut. They had quite a distinctive smell, too. I was sitting there wondering what happens if an audience member has a nut allergy....

#1422 Kristian

Kristian

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 01:52 PM

Marguerite last night at the Tabard. Lady in front of me was checking her phone every ten minutes, spilling light into that tiny auditorium. THEN in act two, she suddenly decided to start making calls and chatting through the show. Absolute nuisance. She was old enough to know better. Now I know the book isn't exactly enthralling but the production was gorgeous and a wonderful score and her chatting through 'China Doll' made me rage. Distracting for the cast and the audience in such a tiny space.
Bradfordian Actor and Singer. Birmingham Conservatoire and Central School of Speech and Drama Graduate.
Tweeting @justwannajive

WEST END: Wicked X2 | Legally Blonde X2 | Lion King X1 | Cats X1 | Starlight Express X5 | Joseph and The Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat X1 | Les Miserables X5 | Oliver X1 | Woman in Black X1 | Phantom of the Opera X2 | Rock of Ages X1 | Shrek X1 | Sister Act X1 | Sweeney Todd X1 | Cabaret X1 | Street Scene X1 | La Fille a la Mode (Haymarket) X1 |

FRINGE: The Glorious Ones | The House of Bernarda Alba (LaChiusa) | Daybreak | After The Turn | RENT | Pippin | Floyd Collins | The Man On Her Mind | Marguerite | Taboo |

ON TOUR: Jekyll and Hyde X1 | Starlight Express X1 | Cabaret X1| Phantom of the Opera X1 | Les Miserables X1 | Phantom on Ice X1 | Miss Saigon X1 | Whistle Down the Wind X1 | Oliver X1 | Chess X1 | Grease X1 | Summer Holiday X1 | Annie X1 | Cats X1 | Of Thee I Sing X1 |

RSC: Much Ado About Nothing X1 |

#1423 poster J

poster J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1022 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 05:03 PM

View PostKristian, on 19 October 2012 - 01:52 PM, said:

Marguerite last night at the Tabard. Lady in front of me was checking her phone every ten minutes, spilling light into that tiny auditorium. THEN in act two, she suddenly decided to start making calls and chatting through the show. Absolute nuisance. She was old enough to know better. Now I know the book isn't exactly enthralling but the production was gorgeous and a wonderful score and her chatting through 'China Doll' made me rage. Distracting for the cast and the audience in such a tiny space.

Did you tell her to shut up and put her phone away?  I would never let someone get away with doing that through an entire show that I've paid to see!

Have to say, from the last couple of shows I've seen there's been no bad behaviour to report - even a matinee audience at Wicked!  And the kid sitting behind was dressed up as a wizard and behaved impeccably most of the time.

#1424 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5146 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 12:00 PM

Just to say how lovely to have a group of students sitting behind us at Hedda Gabler, obviously knowledgeable and with 'Miss'. The theatre will survive. So thanks Miss.

#1425 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 01:38 PM

This writer seems to think the only reason for not-Tweeting during the show is that it might spoil your own concentration :blink:

http://www.guardian....row?INTCMP=SRCH

#1426 Dawnstar

Dawnstar

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 05:12 PM

It says something about the average level of audience behaviour at Phantom that having spent the show surrounded by people talking, coughing loudly, rustling, drinking, going out to the loo mid-act, checking phones etc. I came out thinking "That wasn't a bad audience compared to some"!

#1427 Zippy

Zippy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 06:37 PM

Phantom audiences are notoriously badly behaved. As for the woman on the phone in the tiny Tabard, why did everyone just sit there and not tell her to stop? No point in just hoping someone else will do it. If she was in front of you you could have tapped her on the shoulder and told her to stop. Did you complain in the interval to a member of staff?

#1428 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1240 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 09:58 AM

In the Simon Russell-Beale "Winters Tale" at the bit where Leontes dismisses the Delphic oracle pronouncement and waits to see if anything will happen, in that tense quiet moment someone's phone voicemail message went off in front of me (like the Gods were trying to phone in their judgement) - in the interval a  male banker type gave a "new audience" woman a mouthful of loud abuse for this infringement despite the fact she kept saying it was not her - in fact the transgressor was the wife of the man complaining who I had spotted reaching discreetly into her handbag to turn the thing off. Maybe the man knew, maybe he didn't.

#1429 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5146 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 04:14 PM

O no no, what a laugh. Did SRB flinch? Bet not a flicker.

#1430 Kristian

Kristian

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 12:30 PM

View PostZippy, on 21 October 2012 - 06:37 PM, said:

Phantom audiences are notoriously badly behaved. As for the woman on the phone in the tiny Tabard, why did everyone just sit there and not tell her to stop? No point in just hoping someone else will do it. If she was in front of you you could have tapped her on the shoulder and told her to stop. Did you complain in the interval to a member of staff?

We told her to stop both during the first act and at the interval. Then in the second act she got worse, even her friends sat next to her were telling her to stop and asking her if she wanted to leave. IT was just getting more and more disturbing for everyone having to tap her on the shoulder ever two minutes and shhing her.

I love pub theatres, but they seem to have this effect on some people.
Bradfordian Actor and Singer. Birmingham Conservatoire and Central School of Speech and Drama Graduate.
Tweeting @justwannajive

WEST END: Wicked X2 | Legally Blonde X2 | Lion King X1 | Cats X1 | Starlight Express X5 | Joseph and The Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat X1 | Les Miserables X5 | Oliver X1 | Woman in Black X1 | Phantom of the Opera X2 | Rock of Ages X1 | Shrek X1 | Sister Act X1 | Sweeney Todd X1 | Cabaret X1 | Street Scene X1 | La Fille a la Mode (Haymarket) X1 |

FRINGE: The Glorious Ones | The House of Bernarda Alba (LaChiusa) | Daybreak | After The Turn | RENT | Pippin | Floyd Collins | The Man On Her Mind | Marguerite | Taboo |

ON TOUR: Jekyll and Hyde X1 | Starlight Express X1 | Cabaret X1| Phantom of the Opera X1 | Les Miserables X1 | Phantom on Ice X1 | Miss Saigon X1 | Whistle Down the Wind X1 | Oliver X1 | Chess X1 | Grease X1 | Summer Holiday X1 | Annie X1 | Cats X1 | Of Thee I Sing X1 |

RSC: Much Ado About Nothing X1 |

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users